Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:59:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who

Started by trotsky assortment, January 14, 2011, 09:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Roofdog

To be fair to the haters, last Sunday afternoon I did get really sick of seeing Matt Smith's massive face everywhere, but then I was walking round the new Doctor Who exhibition. I saw a bloke get told off by a steward for poking K9 with his umbrella, was it you Jake?

If it was a Seventh-Doctor-style-question-mark-handled umbrella then - yes. That was him.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: VegaLA on January 25, 2011, 12:33:20 AM
Five years of Dr Who in two and a half minutes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uRjNhLSHlM

Does anyone know the name of the piece of music at about 1:04 in that?

mycroft

As a salute to Nick Courtney, we watched 'Mawdryn Undead' and 'The Claws of Axos' last night.

I'd say Roofdog was spot-on with his review of 'Mawdryn'. There's some great ideas in there, and David Collings is brilliant. There's a lot of stuff padding it out, though - walking the mile or so between the school and the obilisk a few times for no reason (lucky the poor old Brig didn't have a heart attack), lots of corridor-wandering, and the Black Guardian is just a rubbish villain. He's basically the Devil, right? And his powers are so enormous, but why does he want some schoolboy knocking Dr. Who off for him? Why not employ an alien with six tenticles with massive swords on them? Or a Dalek? Or someone who's a trained assassin? Can't he use his powers to just stop the Doctor's hearts? And then his plans seem to change every time he's shouting at Turlough - "Kill the Doctor", "Humiliate the Doctor", "You're doing shit", "You're doing well". He's a confusing boy. And he's got a duck on his head.

The idea of someone being brought into the TARDIS and mistaken for a regenerating Doctor (and taking advantage of the confusion) is a really good one, though. I'd like to see them try that one again in the current series. Although without wearing a dress. Mind you, they could have ramped up the threat a bit - in the last episode it's confirmed three times in the first five minutes that Mawdryn and his lads aren't armed, mean no harm, and aren't dangerous. Ah well, that's alright; I won't worry about the hero, then.

Now, 'Axos' is packed with ideas. I went for a piss at one point and everyone's plans had changed by the time I got back, it was hilarious. Roger Delgado is always worth the price of admission too, and it was filmed at a point when Pertwee still gave a toss and put in some good turns (although Dr. Who was in a really shit mood at the start - was it meant to be his day off or something?). I like it when Pertwee's angry, though. Like Tom, the more pissed off he is the more I enjoy it.

My biggest joy though was finally meeting the legendary Pigbin Josh. He's brilliant! I'd have happily spent a whole episode pointlessly hanging out with him, watching his chaotic bicycle-related adventures.

The Roofdog

Quote from: mycroft on February 27, 2011, 10:22:44 AM
My biggest joy though was finally meeting the legendary Pigbin Josh. He's brilliant! I'd have happily spent a whole episode pointlessly hanging out with him, watching his chaotic bicycle-related adventures.

My favourite Doctor Who yokel is the poacher who finds the Nestene meteorite in 'Spearhead From Space'.

"Meteor-oites? Don't know about 'at - THUNDERBALLS, I calls 'em."

mycroft

I liked that yokel's wife. When an Auton comes after her, does she scream or run off like a girl? Not a bit of it - she grabs a shotgun and attempts to blow the fucker wide open!

You could say she's the template for today's feisty companions of the Doctor. If you were completely mad.

Quote from: trotsky assortment on January 24, 2011, 05:48:53 PM
Watched the Paul McGann TV Movie on Saturday night, having not seen it since it's original broadcast in '96.  For years, I've mistakenly remembered it as harmless fun.  In reality, it's a giant turd made (largely) by people with little to no understanding of the things that made, and continue to make Who great.  Nearly everything about it is so staggeringly awful, I'm at a loss for words.

WARNING: For anyone else who purchased the 'Revisitations' box set - one of the new featurettes includes Josie Long talking at length about how good she thinks this TV movie is. 

Chrissakes.

Can't be worse than Bidisha's nuggets of wisdom on "The Mutants" DVD.

Quote from: The Roofdog on February 24, 2011, 05:14:35 PM
Despite not really liking the 5th Doctor, I am a big fan of that entire 'Black Guardian' trilogy and Mawdryn is probably the strongest story of the 3. Lots of flitting about between Earth and a big spaceship, some interesting Timelord/regeneration fanwank issues and David Collings is great in it. Have to say, no disrespect to the Brig, that it would've been perfect to have Ian back instead, the story does crowbar him in slightly.

I thought the original plan was to get Ian back and the Brig was a re-write as he was not available.

I always found Mawdryn very much style over substance. Some great ideas but it never quite hit the mark for me. Very comical now to see the scene where the student wolf-whistles Janet Fielding's Tegan. Fielding now being very much a feminist in the mould of Clare "Earthshock" Clifford for anyone who remembers her routine at a convention a few years back.

Terminus was just so tired and dreary.

Love Enlightenment. Leee John and all. It just was a really enjoyable story. Ships in space is not new but I do like the idea of The Eternals.

Quote from: The Roofdog on February 28, 2011, 09:17:20 AM

My favourite Doctor Who yokel is the poacher who finds the Nestene meteorite in 'Spearhead From Space'.

"Meteor-oites? Don't know about 'at - THUNDERBALLS, I calls 'em."

Old Mother Tyler in "Image of the Fendahl".

Brilliant.

Quote from: The Roofdog on January 21, 2011, 07:11:16 PM
I'll never understand how anyone could destroy tape containing images of Anneke Wills. I'll never come to terms with that shit man.

Perhaps they destroyed them as they couldn't remove the stains.

non capisco

Quote from: I_Hate_Sebastian_Coe on February 28, 2011, 08:57:05 PM

Brilliant.

And Charlie Slater from Eastenders gets to call her a 'loony old trout'.

Quote from: non capisco on February 28, 2011, 09:14:58 PM
And Charlie Slater from Eastenders gets to call her a 'loony old trout'.

Of course he does !!!!

I forgot about him.

Threatens to set the dogs on her.

Norton Canes

Quote from: I_Hate_Sebastian_Coe on February 28, 2011, 08:56:31 PM
I thought the original plan was to get Ian back and the Brig was a re-write as he was not available.

I always found Mawdryn very much style over substance. Some great ideas but it never quite hit the mark for me. Very comical now to see the scene where the student wolf-whistles Janet Fielding's Tegan. Fielding now being very much a feminist in the mould of Clare "Earthshock" Clifford for anyone who remembers her routine at a convention a few years back.

Terminus was just so tired and dreary.

Love Enlightenment. Leee John and all. It just was a really enjoyable story. Ships in space is not new but I do like the idea of The Eternals.

And Snakedance trumps them all, of course, with its portrait of the Doctor as a ranting madman finally unable to convince a decadent society that they're under terrible threat. Can't wait for the Kinda/Snakedance boxset in a couple of months.

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 28, 2011, 10:07:30 PM
And Snakedance trumps them all, of course, with its portrait of the Doctor as a ranting madman finally unable to convince a decadent society that they're under terrible threat. Can't wait for the Kinda/Snakedance boxset in a couple of months.

Hopefully it is out on Monday next week, which if Play are as good as they normally are then I should have it for Saturday.

Norton Canes

Really? Shit! That came round quick. Better book some DVD time next week.

Bingo Fury

Quote from: I_Hate_Sebastian_Coe on February 28, 2011, 08:57:05 PM

Brilliant.

And the toothless old woman in "The Talons Of Weng-Chiang" who cackles excitedly at the discovery of a body in the Thames and babbles something like "I told 'ee it was a floater" to the policemen retrieving it. Not, admittedly a yokel.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Bingo Fury on March 01, 2011, 12:16:33 AM
And the toothless old woman in "The Talons Of Weng-Chiang" who cackles excitedly at the discovery of a body in the Thames and babbles something like "I told 'ee it was a floater" to the policemen retrieving it. Not, admittedly a yokel.

"Never seen anything like it in all my puff. Oh, make an 'orse sick, that would."

That was filmed right behind my local. Rumours that I have been known to reenact this scene after one too many pints of Doom Bar remain unsubstantiated.

Just watching Spearhead again (RIP Nick) and I noticed that our resident yokel and finder of the Nestene Pod, Sam Seeley, has his trousers held up by string in place of where the belt should be.

Pretty dull I know.

But it made me smile.

The Roofdog

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/03/dwn030311233008-two-new-doctor-who-dvds.html

'Reign Of Terror' coming out in 2012. No word yet on whether they'll be animating the missing episodes like Invasion. Hope they do, think it's too expensive though.

papalaz4444244

Quote from: The Roofdog on March 04, 2011, 09:05:26 PM
http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/03/dwn030311233008-two-new-doctor-who-dvds.html

'Reign Of Terror' coming out in 2012. No word yet on whether they'll be animating the missing episodes like Invasion. Hope they do, think it's too expensive though.
welll...... a certain superfan has been working on a secret black and white Dr Who animation project, and 1 episode was completed last week, on schedule, and was shown to 2entertain at the start of this week...

...and now we have, in their own words, an unexpected The Reign of Terror announcement.

It could just be coincindental...

Bad Ambassador

I believe said superfan has been working on an animated version of Shada with many of the original cast... and a Tom Baker impersonator. I have heard a clip. It was not good.

Also, IL apparently had a very civil dinner with Dan Hall recently. Interesting.

papalaz4444244

Yes, the Shada project is another thing entirely. I saw some CGI stills from it and it looked pretty amazing. Not heard any of the audio, though.

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on March 04, 2011, 09:12:36 PM
welll...... a certain superfan has been working on a secret black and white Dr Who animation project, and 1 episode was completed last week, on schedule, and was shown to 2entertain at the start of this week...

...and now we have, in their own words, an unexpected The Reign of Terror announcement.

It could just be coincindental...

It is supposedly Mission to the Unknown.

Ian's favourite story is Dalek Masterplan.

papalaz4444244

Quote from: I_Hate_Sebastian_Coe on March 05, 2011, 01:13:17 PM
It is supposedly Mission to the Unknown.

Ian's favourite story is Dalek Masterplan.
...he speaks (types) constantly about The Massacre as the best story. But I think he loves all the Hartnell/Troughton stories.

The Loose Cannon version of Mission to the Unknown is stunningly good. Especially as NO telesnaps exist.

papalaz4444244

Sylvester McCoy is recording for Big Finish today, his last before taking off for New Zealand to film for The Hobbit.

papalaz4444244

Tom Baker finally joins the Big Finish team....

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/Tom-Baker-Joins-Big-Finish

13 episodes in two seasons and a 5 disk Missing Stories set? Fucking YES!

VegaLA

Mary Tamm as well. Result, she was always one of my fave (Yeah, I had a crush) Companions.

mycroft

We've lost Michael Gough now. Who'll do LSD with Anneke Wills?

The Roofdog

Quote from: mycroft on March 17, 2011, 12:56:58 PM

He was the noblest Alfred of them all. Didn't know he was married to Wills until I read the obits though. From that fact alone I think you can safely call it "a good innings".

papalaz4444244

Quote from: mycroft on March 17, 2011, 12:56:58 PM
I volunteer.