Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:43:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who

Started by trotsky assortment, January 14, 2011, 09:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Roofdog

I'll never understand how anyone could destroy tape containing images of Anneke Wills. I'll never come to terms with that shit man.

VegaLA

Quote from: The Roofdog on January 21, 2011, 01:06:21 AM
Is it set on Sontar? A Sontaran kind-of-origin story would be nice.

It would, but so would a proper Cybermen origins story. Something along the lines of David Banks vision.

Watched the Paul McGann TV Movie on Saturday night, having not seen it since it's original broadcast in '96.  For years, I've mistakenly remembered it as harmless fun.  In reality, it's a giant turd made (largely) by people with little to no understanding of the things that made, and continue to make Who great.  Nearly everything about it is so staggeringly awful, I'm at a loss for words.

WARNING: For anyone else who purchased the 'Revisitations' box set - one of the new featurettes includes Josie Long talking at length about how good she thinks this TV movie is. 

Chrissakes.

biggytitbo

Quote from: trotsky assortment on January 24, 2011, 05:48:53 PM
Watched the Paul McGann TV Movie on Saturday night, having not seen it since it's original broadcast in '96.  For years, I've mistakenly remembered it as harmless fun.  In reality, it's a giant turd made (largely) by people with little to no understanding of the things that made, and continue to make Who great.  Nearly everything about it is so staggeringly awful, I'm at a loss for words.

WARNING: For anyone else who purchased the 'Revisitations' box set - one of the new featurettes includes Josie Long talking at length about how good she thinks this TV movie is. 

Chrissakes.
The only good thing about it, and its a very good thing, is McGann.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 24, 2011, 06:47:11 PMThe only good thing about it, and its a very good thing, is McGann.

And the TARDIS control-room / console.  Somehow they peeked inside my head and realised my vision of what it always should have been.  Or perhaps I just saw George Pal's "The Time Machine" (1960) too much as a kid. :-)

The inside of the TARDIS and Paul McGann were the only things I remembered about the TVM before re-watching it.  I suspect, now, there was a good reason for that.  Watching the supplementary documentary, the more Philip Segal talked, the more I wanted to punch him in the face.   ...And to think he considers this to be the best thing on his CV!

Anyone ever read the New Adventures? I always prefered the books to the series.

Serge

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 24, 2011, 06:47:11 PMThe only good thing about it, and its a very good thing, is McGann.

McCoy is very good in it, too.

VegaLA

Have just seen 'Warriors' Gate' for the first time.  What in the name of christ was that all about? Huge trims to the script meant that it barely made sense.  Probably one of my least favourite "classic" Who stories so far.

mycroft

Here's a rather wonderful short film with Peter Davison, shown at some convention or other recently...

Peter Davison Video - Opening Ceremonies Gallifrey 22

weekender

I watched The Ark the other day, and enjoyed it on the most part.

However, why the fuck did the Refusians side with the humans?

"Well, the humans had the Monoids as slaves, but the Monoids didn't like it so took over and made the humans slaves"

"Oh, we'd better save the humans then"

If I was a fucking Refusian I'd have killed the fucking lot of them for being twats who need to grow up.  Or at least made them ALL slaves, just to prove some sort of point.

I've only watched it once though, so if I got the wrong end of the stick then I'm sorry.

The Roofdog

QuoteHowever, why the fuck did the Refusians side with the humans?

That Monoid threatened to throw his vase on the floor!

Bingo Fury

Been on a bit of a Pertwee kick for the last few nights, for some reason, and have come to the conclusion that there's no such thing as "a bad Roger Delgado moment". Even if a story's as dull as "Colony In Space" or as bonkers as "The Daemons", his every line is absolutely charged with magnificence.

weekender

Quote from: Bingo Fury on February 22, 2011, 09:03:08 PM
Been on a bit of a Pertwee kick for the last few nights, for some reason, and have come to the conclusion that there's no such thing as "a bad Roger Delgado moment". Even if a story's as dull as "Colony In Space" or as bonkers as "The Daemons", his every line is absolutely charged with magnificence.

I agree. I've only seen Terror Of The Autons once (when I was about 14, I think), but I seem to remember that Delgado was masterly.

I wrote that, then I wondered about the gag, then I'm still typing.  Terror's coming out soon, isn't it?

Delgado was fantastic though, no arguments there.

He was used a lot in early Pertwee wasn't he?  I always had a nagging doubt that if Pertwee's Doctor had been sent back to Earth by the Timelords, then Delgado's Master had been sent back to Earth to try and thwart their plans.  But by whom?

Bad Ambassador

Great Delgado bits:

Sitting in the back of a limousine, smoking a fat cigar in The Mind of Evil.
"He sat down in this chair and just... slipped away", from Terror of the Autons.
Watching The Clangers in The Sea Devils. Note that when he tries to convince the Doctor he's reformed he's wearing white.
Teaming up with the Brigadier in The Claws of Axos.

and my favourite:

The reveal in Frontier in Space that he carries a book around, so he has something to read during the boring bits of the story. Fourth-wall-tastic.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: trotsky assortment on January 24, 2011, 05:48:53 PM

Chrissakes.

The same Josie Long who's built a persona on being an immature, teddy-bear carrying twelve-year-old? Hardly surprising she likes "the show" then, surely.

mycroft

Quote from: weekender on February 22, 2011, 09:10:56 PM
He was used a lot in early Pertwee wasn't he?  I always had a nagging doubt that if Pertwee's Doctor had been sent back to Earth by the Timelords, then Delgado's Master had been sent back to Earth to try and thwart their plans.  But by whom?

I always liked that the Delgado Master could come and go as he pleased (and phone the Doctor up from his TARDIS to taunt him about it), yet he kept on coming back like a massive stalker. It's telling that his hallucination of his greatest fear is the Doctor laughing at him, while he doesn't figure in the Doctor's fears at all. Obviously the Doctor bullied him at school.

papalaz4444244

I'm afraid the Brigadier passed away this evening.

RIP Nicholas

Roy*Mallard

Very, very sad news. Seemed liked a top bloke and he was an integral part of classic Who. RIP Brig.

Small Man Big Horse

Aye, it's very sad news, and such a shame they couldn't have worked out a way to have him in at least one episode of the new series. Does anyone know if his appearance in the Sarah Jane Adventures is worth catching?

papalaz4444244

Laughing at the scene around 4.00 where Bret Vyon (Nicholas Courtney) tells the Doctor to shut up :)

CLASSIC DOCTOR WHO: DAY OF ARMAGEDDON 2.

Mister Six

Very sad stuff. Shame he didn't get a chance to make one last appearance in nu-Who.

Bingo Fury

What? Oh no, that's the saddest loss possible.

I never really appreciated him when I was a kid. It was only post-2005, going back and rewatching those old stories that it dawned what a fine and stalwart chap the Brig was, and what an asset to the series. Lovely old guy, Nick.

mycroft

Nooooo! Such sad news, that. Like the rest of you, I'd wished for a nu-Who appearance at some point, but only with Matt Smith. There would have been fantastic chemistry between those two.

RIP Brig. Give 'em hell, wherever you are.

biggytitbo

Chap with wings there, five rounds rapid

RIP brig!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on February 23, 2011, 12:00:00 AM
I'm afraid the Brigadier passed away this evening.

RIP Nicholas

Ach, genuinely saddened by this news. The Brigadier was a wonderful character (all of him), beautifully performed by the late Mr Courtney.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Mister Six on February 23, 2011, 01:11:55 AM
Very sad stuff. Shame he didn't get a chance to make one last appearance in nu-Who.

Yes, I'd been hoping the same, especially before he popped up in TSJA – I'd have loved him to be some mysterious figure, with his reveal strung out as long as possible before the big surprise, where he saves the day. Can't happen now. Shame.

I wonder if the Brig had any children...

Norton Canes

A terrible shame. The Brigadier (or the Colonel, as Lethbridge-Stewart was in his first appearance) was a wonderful, commanding presence in his first few stories, before he became more of a stereotypical blinkered military ignoramus. There was always a real ease and depth to Nick Coutney's performaces, though, that transcended the limitations of the scripts and ensured the character was never less than believable.

VegaLA

I'm truly bummed, such a great character brought to life by a great actor.
I honestly thought we'd see him in a 50TH anniversary adventure with the last few Doctors.

DH mention his passing.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/19626/r-i-p-nicholas-courtney

RIP Brig!