Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:21:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Soundtrack to The Rise And Rise Of Michael Rimmer

Started by Jake Thingray, January 14, 2011, 01:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake Thingray

The film itself is no doubt worthy of discussion and analysis, Cook's sole starring vehicle and so on. But to me, John Cameron's score, specifically the theme, sums up why the movie as a whole doesn't work; it sounds altogether misplaced for a comedy, sounding more like a John Barry imitation for some Bondian rip-off, also at times like Ennio Morricone. And the middle eight sounds reminiscent of the "we're lost in a masquerade" bit from the old Motown track BEHIND THE PAINTED SMILE.

Steven

I love the theme tune, been trying to find out where to get a copy of it for ages. Is it available to download from anywhere?

The idea of the film is great, it's just so poorly realised. With all the camp 60s shit thrown in, Arthur Lowe perving at a secretary between drinks and a henpecking wife and all that crap, it just marrs what could have been a very smart and satirical film. Cook as usual can't really act and wonders about with that dead in the eyes look he usually has but considering he's playing the ultimate Luciferian type character (more-so than even Mr Spiggot), it might not go totally unwelcome to the role. There's just a few too many nudges to give little contrived set pieces.. Cleese's ballroom dancing etc, that just seems someone didn't have enough faith in the central idea of the film - people's selfishness and ignorance is boundless and give them enough rope and they will always hang themselves - and Rimmer's absolute polite advocacy of this philosophy. It's really ripe for a cleverly done re-make starring oooh... Russell Brand.

In short idea great, script bad.

I have a feeling.

Congratulaions.