Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:09:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spider-Man (2012)

Started by El Unicornio, mang, January 14, 2011, 03:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

First pic of Garfield in the suit

Looks like a much skinnier Spidey than we're used to, although he always looked quite lanky in the comics. I think Garfield will be an improvement over Tobey Maguire. Re-watched the last trilogy recently and found them a bit poor, and Maguire seemed to be missing something.

(Incidentally, for those who don't know, this is a reboot of the franchise, not a continuation)

Dead kate moss

So many unnecessary changes to the costume - the webbing isn't webbing anymore, the spider emblem reaches to his beltless crotch, the changes to his gloves, the basket-ball material even more noticeable, I think I prefer the 70s TV series costume. Disappointing, but if they add Spidey's trademark quips to these new movies it may make up for it.

El Unicornio, mang

Keep in mind though that he's just been in a big fight so parts of the costume have been ripped away (like the belt part). I quite like it, an improvement over the Maguire version anyway, which had too much thick webbing. Also, they seem to be going with the original comic idea of him having electric web shooters on his wrists, rather than being able to fire webs right from his wrists.

Here's another pic, Peter Parker with love interest Gwen Stacey (Mary Jane isn't going to be in this film)

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2011/01/04/andrew-garfield-emma-stone-spidey-and-gwen/

Funcrusher

It's not like I really give a shit or will go and see it, but why a fucking reboot already? Superhero origin films are always a massive drag, as the origin isn't a satisfying story in itself, and predictably will end with mild mannered whoever becoming the titular character, after which a proper story with actual conflict in has to be rushed through in not enough time.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Funcrusher on January 14, 2011, 03:39:50 PM
It's not like I really give a shit or will go and see it, but why a fucking reboot already? Superhero origin films are always a massive drag, as the origin isn't a satisfying story in itself, and predictably will end with mild mannered whoever becoming the titular character, after which a proper story with actual conflict in has to be rushed through in not enough time.

I actually like the origin part of Superhero stories better than what follows. Once they're the superhero it's usually just hum-drum fighting in the streets, the transformation from regular guy to crime fighter is the most thrilling aspect, to me. In fact, I quite liked one of the original ideas for the last Spider-Man franchise, which was going to be the whole film just being the origin, with him not putting on the costume until the very end.

VegaLA

It's not like I really give a shit or will go and see it, but why a fucking reboot already?

I thought that when I first heard the news but the other trilogy was such a disapoinment I welcomed the news. In fact I got my sorry arse kicked after watching SpiderMan 3 with friends because I laughed like a loon during most of the movie.
I think Garfield looks the part too, if they stick to the comic/toons faithfully it should be a fun ride.

Anyone recall when the Raimi team tried to take credit as bringing Spidey to the big screen for the first time? Dismissing the 70s efforts as TV movies? No Sam, I saw the first Spidey film at the cinema (showing my age) and even then I couldn't stop laughing at the weird movements he made as his head popped up above the wall of some tall building.

Famous Mortimer

It's just boring that folks who've read the comics get the same ol' stories again. But still, at least film fans will have to suffer the same crap that comics fans have had for decades (endless reboots, continuity crap, etc.)

El Unicornio, mang

The rumour going around (based on the claw marks on his suit) is that The Lizard will be the baddie in this one, so that will be something different at least. Anything that isn't like the Raimi Green Goblin please *shudder*

Tiny Poster

It's not like I really give a shit or will go and see it, but why a fucking reboot already?

I love that Stan Lee calls it 'Spidey 4'.

This new guy is way too handsome for Peter Parker. At least Tobey Maguire was Hollywood Ugly.

QuoteThe rumour going around (based on the claw marks on his suit) is that The Lizard will be the baddie in this one, so that will be something different at least. Anything that isn't like the Raimi Green Goblin please *shudder*

Rhys Ifans, sin't it? I don't know how The Lizard will be that much different to Doctor Octopus, really. And if they do a CGI lizard face, then it will be as bad as hiding Willem Dafoe's face behind that static mask.

Dead kate moss

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on January 14, 2011, 04:53:51 PM
The rumour going around (based on the claw marks on his suit) is that The Lizard will be the baddie in this one, so that will be something different at least. Anything that isn't like the Raimi Green Goblin please *shudder*

Claw-marks? That black splodge near the spider-emblem? If it was the Lizard it doesn't look like he inflicted much damage.

Mister Six

I think they're kind of justified here, though, because they need to make it clear that it's a new series of movies (set in high school, apparently) rather than a continuation with a bunch of different actors.

Also, with characters like Iron Man and Thor - who are (or were) hardly famous outside of comic book circles - you do need to introduce them to the audience and explain how and why they're flying about firing lightning bolts. The only two origins you could plausibly have gotten away with omitting prior to the big superhero movie boom were Superman and Batman (and I'd have been very happy for them to skip Batman Begins, to be honest).

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Dead kate moss on January 14, 2011, 05:05:49 PM
Claw-marks? That black splodge near the spider-emblem? If it was the Lizard it doesn't look like he inflicted much damage.

The ones on his arms (unless they're part of the design) and the ones on his cheek

Dead kate moss

The ones on his arms are part of the new costume design I think. Didn't notice the ones on his face. I'd be happy with The Lizard as the villain anyway.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: Mister Six on January 14, 2011, 05:08:35 PM
I think they're kind of justified here, though, because they need to make it clear that it's a new series of movies (set in high school, apparently) rather than a continuation with a bunch of different actors.

Oh God, I hope it's dealt with and over in the first 15 minutes. Spider-Man 2 and The Dark Knight were much more enjoyable films as they dropped us straight into full-time professional superheroics. Daredevil is in no way a great film, but it does away with the boring "learning how to do it" stuff, confining the origin to a snappy flashback.

Because, really, there's very little variance in origin/learning the ropes stories.

Funcrusher

Quote from: VegaLA on January 14, 2011, 04:12:06 PM
I thought that when I first heard the news but the other trilogy was such a disapoinment I welcomed the news.

I did think the Raimi films were pants (never bothered with the third one, just looked like a total mess). The wisecracking Spiderman was nowhere to be seen, just whiney Peter Parker the whole time being angst ridden. And no one could be a straight up villain, they're all also angst ridden victims of tragedy. All the fun elements of the comics were nowhere to be seen, it was just a load of emo toss. So plenty of room for improvement, but this new guy looks like another emo twat.

Quote from: Mister Six on January 14, 2011, 05:08:35 PM

Also, with characters like Iron Man and Thor - who are (or were) hardly famous outside of comic book circles - you do need to introduce them to the audience and explain how and why they're flying about firing lightning bolts. The only two origins you could plausibly have gotten away with omitting prior to the big superhero movie boom were Superman and Batman (and I'd have been very happy for them to skip Batman Begins, to be honest).

You have to introduce the characters in virtually any feature film, but it doesn't need to take up half the film. The recent superhero movies seem to be treating the stories as if they're Hamlet and can't be cut or messed around with. For me, spending the first issue of a comic series on the origin is fine, but in a self contained two hour film just cut to the chase.

Dead kate moss

I'd rather it was just the continuing adventures of Spider-Man, but a reboot is almost worth it if it erases the 'Sandman shot Uncle Ben' bullshit.

El Unicornio, mang

The origin stuff is important for having character development though. Just having a whole film of superhero vs. baddie can be kind of boring. Usually the way they do it with these franchises is: first one is the origin story, second one is the hero having doubts about what he's doing but eventually having some sort of redemption, and the third one is usually just a load of meandering toss that kills the franchise (but may have the hero going all "dark" until a weeping child reminds them who they really are and they become good again).

Tiny Poster

It's always the same character development though - oh I'm so powerless, oh these powers are cool, oh I don't want these powers, oh I have a duty to use these powers. And as you say, there's even formula for trilogies now.

By the way, has anyone seen the first pic of Captain America?

I don't think this scene is set during WW2, so it has less of an excuse to look so bloody terrible.

Ginyard

And when is SpiderMAN going to look like a MAN, and not some punky teenage dork?

Tiny Poster

You clearly know nothing, yo

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Tiny Poster on January 14, 2011, 05:50:00 PM

I don't think this scene is set during WW2, so it has less of an excuse to look so bloody terrible.

Heh, that looks quite dodgy. Although to be fair it's a costume that's kind of impossible to not make look ridiculous, so they've done pretty much as well as they could. They've at least made the wise decision of having the "ear wings" painted on.

Dead kate moss

Quote from: Ginyard on January 14, 2011, 05:52:57 PM
And when is SpiderMAN going to look like a MAN, and not some punky teenage dork?

But that's how he was as originally conceived by Lee & Ditko and arguably what makes him different from all the other super-heroes. He should be a bit angsty and dorky as Peter Parker (at first at least, ageing the character was arguably a mistake in the comics) but this should be totally of-set by his cocky wise-cracking as Spidey.

The Captain America costume is horrific, though there are supposed to be different versions of it in the movie.

El Unicornio, mang

Hopefully none of them look like the 1990 movie version

Dead kate moss

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on January 14, 2011, 06:02:44 PM
Hopefully none of them look like the 1990 movie version

It looked cheap in the movie but was at least faithful to the original. That pic looks better than the one from the new movie imo. They both look rubbery, and the new one's an over-designed, colour scheme nightmare .

Mister Six

I rather like the new costume. It's a bit busy (it could stand to lose some of that detailing) but it gets across the military aesthetic and the superhero connotations without being, well, fucking embarrassing like the 1990s monstrosity. You can only do that kind of costume if you're doing a Dick-Tracy-style stylised look. And that wouldn't fit with Iron Man, et al.

Ginyard

Quote from: Tiny Poster on January 14, 2011, 05:56:56 PM
You clearly know nothing, yo

Does the film have to be that faithful to the comic? Clarke Kent manages to look like a wimp but still be built like a brick shithouse.

Dead kate moss

I agree they are going for an Ultimates/real world version of the costumes across the Marvel movies, so they work together when they do The Avengers. But I think they could have got much closer to Cap's uniform than the one we see there... all baggy with brown gloves and grey straps (and different shades of blue on the shield and costume). Keeping him red, white and blue is kind of important to the character.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Funcrusher on January 14, 2011, 05:42:29 PM
I did think the Raimi films were pants (never bothered with the third one, just looked like a total mess). The wisecracking Spiderman was nowhere to be seen, just whiney Peter Parker the whole time being angst ridden. And no one could be a straight up villain, they're all also angst ridden victims of tragedy. All the fun elements of the comics were nowhere to be seen, it was just a load of emo toss. So plenty of room for improvement, but this new guy looks like another emo twat.

Aw come on - the Spiderman/Doc Ock fights in #2 are great, great fun..

It's overlong, has that dream sequence and at least one too many 'lost my powers' sequences, but parts of it are an absolute blast..

And a high-school set Spidey will have no place for:

Tiny Poster

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on January 14, 2011, 07:19:23 PM
And a high-school set Spidey will have no place for:

Well, in the comics he did (when he was of high-school age). I don't know what the current status of Ultimate J. Jonah Jameson is.

imdb doesn't list JJJ for Spidey 4, though.

VegaLA