Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:42:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spider-Man (2012)

Started by El Unicornio, mang, January 14, 2011, 03:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Will this Spidey have a bio web shooter or a tech one?

Ginyard

Hopefully some sort of Spider Sheath. Something to yank out and suprise the 33rd floor when he's grinning through their window.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Blumf on January 15, 2011, 12:58:59 AM
Will this Spidey have a bio web shooter or a tech one?

As I mentioned earlier, they're going to be tech ones, you can see them on his wrists if you look closely.

Blumf

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on January 15, 2011, 02:05:08 AM
As I mentioned earlier, they're going to be tech ones, you can see them on his wrists if you look closely.

Sorry, skimmed past that. Good to hear, there was just something unsatisfying about the bio ones in the Maguire films.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Suddenly developing the ability to shoot sticky white fluid is something all teenage boys have to deal with.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

vrailaine

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Blumf on January 15, 2011, 02:35:19 AM
Sorry, skimmed past that. Good to hear, there was just something unsatisfying about the bio ones in the Maguire films.

Conceptually, I much prefer the bio-shooters.  It's more logically satisfying.

And I also love the 'dark' Peter Parker bits from the third movie.  If you go along with the fact that he's meant to look ridiculous...

vrailaine

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on January 15, 2011, 07:43:41 AM
And I also love the 'dark' Peter Parker bits from the third movie.  If you go along with the fact that he's meant to look ridiculous...
Everyone's giving him weird looks in the video I posted there, did people not notice that?

Was the third one the film Raimi always wanted to make or something? It was a fair bit of a change from the first two.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: vrailaine on January 15, 2011, 11:43:48 PM
Was the third one the film Raimi always wanted to make or something? It was a fair bit of a change from the first two.

Quote from: WikipediaRaimi wanted another villain, and Ben Kingsley was involved in negotiations to play the Vulture before the character was cut.[4] Producer Avi Arad convinced Raimi to include Venom, a character whose perceived "lack of humanity" had initially been criticized by Sam Raimi.[12] Venom's alter-ego, Eddie Brock, already had a minor role in the script.[24] Arad told the director that Venom had a strong fan base, so Raimi included the character to please them,[23] and even began to appreciate the character himself.[12] The film's version of the character is an amalgamation of Venom stories. Eddie Brock, Jr., the human part of Venom, serves as a mirror to Peter Parker, with both characters having similar jobs and romantic interests.[12] Brock's actions as a journalist in Spider-Man 3 also represent contemporary themes of paparazzi and tabloid journalism.[5] The producers also suggested adding rival love interest Gwen Stacy, filling in an "other girl" type that Raimi already created.[23] With so many additions, Sargent soon found his script so complex that he considered splitting it into two films, but abandoned the idea when he could not create a successful intermediate climax.[4]

lipsink

Spiderman 3 would've been much improved if they just split it into 2 films. There's just way too much going on and too many characters/stories fighting for air (See also Iron Man 2). If they'd just kept Sandman and Venom for the next film they could've had film 3 to focus on the Green Goblin 2/Eddie Brock rivarly/evil Peter Parker stuff.

NoSleep

Spiderman & Captain America in the same thread, in a discussion about their costumes and their Turkish incarnations not yet mentioned?

SavageHedgehog

So are they definitely devoting a large portion of time to re-covering the origin story, or is that just what everyone's assuming?

Personally, I would have liked them to make him older, not younger!

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: NoSleep on January 16, 2011, 11:55:25 AM
Spiderman & Captain America in the same thread, in a discussion about their costumes and their Turkish incarnations not yet mentioned?
Just by mentioning the incredible badass that is Turkish Spider-Man  (does he teleport or has he got a bunch of clones? I forget), you make any Western film that features him pale in comparison.

NoSleep

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 16, 2011, 05:23:48 PM
Just by mentioning the incredible badass that is Turkish Spider-Man  (does he teleport or has he got a bunch of clones? I forget), you make any Western film that features him pale in comparison.

And bollocks to webbing when you can simply jook someone with your switchblade.

Goldentony

God I fucking love 3 Dev Adam, and you're right about him cloning/teleporting himself during the fight scenes. Even with the subtitles on, it just never gets explained why or how. You just have this ten bob Spiderman fighting Captain America with a switchblade and shoving boat propellors into traitorous womens faces, all the while living in this weird mansion full of stolen relics with zero mention of his teleporting abilities at all. This is the direction the Spiderman franchise really should have gone after Raimi left

MojoJojo

Quote from: Tiny Poster on January 14, 2011, 05:50:00 PM
It's always the same character development though - oh I'm so powerless, oh these powers are cool, oh I don't want these powers, oh I have a duty to use these powers. And as you say, there's even formula for trilogies now.

That's really only Spiderman, isn't it? Oh, and I suppose Daredevil is similar, but with a lot of stuff about growing up in a slum and being blind.
And I suppose there is some of that with the younger X-men characters - but even there it starts with "oh my god my head is on fire" and there is all the stuff about persecution.

Batman and Ironman are definitely very different to that anyway.

But I agree that redoing Spiderman's origin now seems a little soon.

Is the idea of this to create a long running series, each one with a different baddy? Closer to the comics in terms of style and pacing, rather than the big trilogy arc that uses up all the big moments?

lipsink

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 18, 2011, 11:54:51 AM
That's really only Spiderman, isn't it? Oh, and I suppose Daredevil is similar, but with a lot of stuff about growing up in a slum and being blind.
And I suppose there is some of that with the younger X-men characters - but even there it starts with "oh my god my head is on fire" and there is all the stuff about persecution.

Batman and Ironman are definitely very different to that anyway.

In The Dark Knight though Bats considers quitting several times as he thinks he's made Gotham worse and he can't take all the guilt. Ironman, doesn't he consider calling it a day in the second one? In Superman 2 too, Supes gives up his power because he wants a relationship with Lois and then decides to get his power back after going to a crap diner.

MojoJojo

Well, yes, but that's not really origin story stuff is it?
Although I suppose the "should I give it up" thing is a bit overused, but it does tend to be a bit different each time, and I suppose it's a good way to show why superheroes do their thing, which is a necessary bit of character development. And it fits in with the second act - lowest point structure nicely.
But yes, it's a bit overused.

SavageHedgehog

Superhero movies are very formulaic. Mind you what genre isn't? Even something that supposedly takes a fresh look at the genre like Kick-Ass follows a very similar pattern

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 18, 2011, 11:54:51 AM
Is the idea of this to create a long running series, each one with a different baddy? Closer to the comics in terms of style and pacing, rather than the big trilogy arc that uses up all the big moments?

More likely - cynic alert - that by doing the origin story again and setting the movie around the high school Peter and his romantic travails, they can save cash (both in terms of casting and on the need for elaborate CGI/stunt/action sequences) and tap into some of the money from swoony teens now that the Twilight series is drawing to a close.  I suspect that the people who thought the Raimi Spidey was 'too emo' ain't seen nothing yet.

boxofslice

In other comic book/movie news...

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=29929

Anne Hathaway in a leather catsuit?  Yes please!

Gulftastic

Quote from: boxofslice on January 19, 2011, 05:45:45 PM
In other comic book/movie news...

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=29929

Anne Hathaway in a leather catsuit?  Yes please!

She's great. I love how she got away from her image as the star of nice Disney-esque films by just getting her smashing tits out a lot.

El Unicornio, mang

She was very good in Rachel Getting Married, played totally against type

Panda1

Hello everybody,

well, i do not know! Anne Hathaway as Catwoman? really? can't imagine this right now! I think there is no catwoman like Michelle Pfeiffer. (But true, Anne Hathaway will look good in a catsuit.)

Tiny Poster

How soon people forget Julie Newmar. And Eartha Kitt. And Halle Berry.

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on January 18, 2011, 04:33:14 PM
More likely - cynic alert - that by doing the origin story again and setting the movie around the high school Peter and his romantic travails, they can save cash (both in terms of casting and on the need for elaborate CGI/stunt/action sequences) and tap into some of the money from swoony teens now that the Twilight series is drawing to a close.  I suspect that the people who thought the Raimi Spidey was 'too emo' ain't seen nothing yet.

Actually, this is what they're going for with the new X-Men film, isn't it? Damn.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Tiny Poster on January 21, 2011, 05:19:05 PM
How soon people forget Julie Newmar. And Eartha Kitt. And Halle Berry.

And Lee Meriwether

VegaLA

SavageHedgehog