Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:56:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spider-Man (2012)

Started by El Unicornio, mang, January 14, 2011, 03:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

I watched some of this the other day and didn't think it was too bad, the reason ? Someone else was watching the film and I was cooking and I said "Gimme a shout when he puts the suit on, I'm not watching all this build up bollocks." Basically anyone over the age of 25 with even a passing interest in super hero movies in general must know the plot like the back of their hand be now. Without getting to much into plot and that, I liked Garfield's skinny physique and movement in the suit. The Lizard wasn't to everyone's taste but I quite liked it. The action scenes were quite well handled but the scenes with just normal people talking in rooms about plot were average to poor. I'm not a fan of Denis Leary at all so he was most unwelcome when he popped up. I would recommend skipping the first hour unless you are about 12 years old and completely unfamiliar with the plot. It really is an unnecessary film though, who the fuck is watching a Spidermin film these days and thinking "Oh, he gets bitten by a spider, that's a surprise" ?

Tiny Poster

You've neglected to mention how awful Rhys Ifans was as daft comic book villain. He failed to find the right tone for any of transformation scenes. Compare this to Tom Hiddleston's Loki, or Tom Hardy's Bane. Either sink your teeth into the part and embrace the absurdity, or don't bother with your Radio 4 Afternoon Play line readings. Jesus, he was bad. The man is consistently miscast.

And say he *did* give New York his lizard potion. Wouldn't they all turn back into humans after a bit, just like he did?

Dead kate moss

Presumably the cops that got turned into lizards did... we just never saw them again.

The movie really was a pile of shit, have I mentioned that?

Jerzy Bondov

Peter doesn't get to deal with the bully properly because they did that in the original films. Martin Sheen doesn't get a good 'with great power' speech because they did that in the original films. There's no stirring and powerful 'Peter becomes Spider-Man' scene because they did that in the original films. And so on. I liked this film more than some of you, but there are so many bits where they do things differently to the originals for no good reason.

Look, you're remaking a film from ten years ago. Things are going to seem familiar. Many of the things that were in that film were in there because they were the best things to put in a film about Peter Parker becoming Spider-Man. What's the point in being so coy about going over old ground when you're remaking a film from ten years ago with a plot that everybody already knows? Either just go for it, or don't do it at all and just ignore the people going 'but how did he become a Spider-Man? What's his pain?' because these people do not exist.

Dead kate moss

The right thing to do would have just carried on, the continuing adventures of Spider-Man. They could have brought back all the baddies from the original movies over time if they wanted (Green Goblin's suit stolen, a la Hobgoblin). The reason they retold the origin again, badly, is because they thought it would be easier to make it like Twilight that way, all soppy teens at school. And because Sony are cunts.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Dead kate moss on November 22, 2012, 01:15:47 PM
The reason they retold the origin again, badly, is because they thought it would be easier to make it like Twilight that way, all soppy teens at school. And because Sony are cunts.

Some of the characterisations were abysmal, like shop mannequins spewing dialogue in each other's general direction and not unlike the aforesaid Twiglet films. Who was that asian assistant to Ifans' character ? Their scenes together were like a blank piece of paper. I'm not entirely convinced Ifans can even act. He was ok in Mr Nice or whatever it was called but the last time I watched an Ifans film and was impressed with his performance was Twin Town about 15 years ago and he was probably just playing himself in that. His continued appearance in big budget films is a puzzler for me. And Denis Leary ? I'd'nno, let's just say I'm glad I missed the first half of the film.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 22, 2012, 08:46:23 AM
I watched some of this the other day and didn't think it was too bad, the reason ? Someone else was watching the film and I was cooking and I said "Gimme a shout when he puts the suit on, I'm not watching all this build up bollocks." Basically anyone over the age of 25 with even a passing interest in super hero movies in general must know the plot like the back of their hand be now. Without getting to much into plot and that, I liked Garfield's skinny physique and movement in the suit. The Lizard wasn't to everyone's taste but I quite liked it. The action scenes were quite well handled but the scenes with just normal people talking in rooms about plot were average to poor. I'm not a fan of Denis Leary at all so he was most unwelcome when he popped up. I would recommend skipping the first hour unless you are about 12 years old and completely unfamiliar with the plot. It really is an unnecessary film though, who the fuck is watching a Spidermin film these days and thinking "Oh, he gets bitten by a spider, that's a surprise" ?

Why does it matter if you know what's going to happen though? You can pretty much tell what's going to happen in most big films anyway. Like most people, I knew how Spider-Man came to be long before the first movie. And I watched the first movie a few times. And I watched the new movie and enjoyed the origin story. Don't really get why things need to be surprising to be enjoyable.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 22, 2012, 05:07:53 PM
Why does it matter if you know what's going to happen though?

It doesn't if you do something fresh and interesting with the material which is not an accusation I think you could level at this film. I find I moan about different elements that I wouldn't have done if I liked the film. It was just a bit 'meh'. I've been disappointed with a lot of super hero films in the last few years so it's not a new development. Green Lantern, Dark Knight Rises, Amazing Spaderm'n, The Green Hornet, Watchmen etc etc.

Although things are picking up because they're only releasing 10 more Marvel based super hero movies in the next 3 years including one called Ant-Man. Woo hoo!!! I'm glad Hollywood isn't running out of ideas and isn't completely dependent on comic books.

SteveDave

I'm watching this now.

What's up with Martin Sheen's teeth?

Also when Ben Wishaw Andrew Garfield storms out of the Parker house & slams the door & the glass smashes I actually thought they were going to reference Hot Rod. But they didn't.

I'm 41.36 in. I'll keep you updated...

SteveDave

Quote from: Dead kate moss on November 22, 2012, 08:56:17 AM
Presumably the cops that got turned into lizards did... we just never saw them again.

You do see them getting hit by the antidote & turning back into humans when the big explosion in the sky happens.

In my view it was alright. The Alright Spider-Man. They could've started the film with him as Spider-Man looking for the man who shot his uncle & told his back story as you went along. It would've been about 30 minutes shorter too. Rhys Ifans was quite bad. Where was he meant to be from? Sometimes he was porsh English don't ya know & then he'd go Welsh Wales & then Americun. An odd choice.

Tiny Poster

That's his accent in every film, including Greenberg, where he plays a Scottish man called Ivan.

vrailaine

Martin sheen has had those teeth for ages.

I'm absolutely fed up of origin movies. They are all kinda the same. No huge surprise that X2, spider man 2 and the dark knight are generally regarded as the three best from the last decade imo, all three don't have that shite.

phantom_power

Rhys Ifans is one of those people who are so limited in their range I am amazed he gets chosen to play anything other than a variation of the one character he can do; the quirky scruffbag like in Notting Hill. That he seems a bit of a cunt in real life only adds to my surprise over his success.

Dead kate moss

I had a drink with him once, He seemed fine at first. But then, after a while, I thought he was a bit cunty. Hard to explain, but you know.

Can't act, no.

Tiny Poster

Fuck, I've just remebered that period from about 6 years ago where he was constantly in the tabloids (or at least the free London rags) for regularly drinking in Soho and reliably swearing at the paps. And even then, Notting Hill was long behind him.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Tiny Poster on November 25, 2012, 10:13:45 AM
Fuck, I've just remebered that period from about 6 years ago where he was constantly in the tabloids (or at least the free London rags) for regularly drinking in Soho and reliably swearing at the paps. And even then, Notting Hill was long behind him.

Around that period I think he went on the radio or something and said something like "The reason people try and have it off with little kids is because they're so sexy." Cue inevitable media storm (in a teacup).

Attention seeking prick.