Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:59:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Super Mario Bros X - community project?

Started by madhair60, January 15, 2011, 10:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E6HUWGjesI&feature=player_embedded

Super Mario Bros X is a fanmade editor and engine for making your own Super Mario games, based on a myriad of elements from Super Mario Bros 1, 2, 3 and World, amongst other games.  It's very easy to make your own levels and compile them into an overworld, using the many preset items or indeed customising your own.

I've been having fun with it for a while now, and I thought it would be cool if we could collaborate on a level pack, "Super CaBros" or something.  Something better named, obv.  Super Verbwhore Bros, or whatever.

Honest, it's easy - it's not easy-but-secretly-impossible.  Doesn't require any rom hacking, and you can bosh out a level in, ooh, ten minutes.  We could upload our stages to Mediafire or something, and I could combine them into a bigger overworld.  You can make as many or as few levels as you want.

Download Super Mario Bros X.  Comes with documentation.

Heh, I'll give it a go I guess. I warn you though, if I'm not making a level within 5 minutes I'm quitting.

Hollow

Yeah and while we're at it lets break into the Louvre and draw mustaches and penises on all the old masters. After that I will be making a jive-bunny style creation out of Burzum, Pitchshifter and Kyuss. Why not eh?

madhair60

Four levels done so far, lots of tweaking to make them just the way I want.  Level design is great fun.

Old Nehamkin

Ooh, this is good. I'll try to contribute a couple.

kittens

How do you make it so you can continue the level past the first screen of it? The documentation that comes with it is too difficult to read for me

madhair60

Quote from: kittens on January 16, 2011, 11:41:49 PM
How do you make it so you can continue the level past the first screen of it? The documentation that comes with it is too difficult to read for me

At the bottom is "level settings", click that, then go to "level boundry" (sic) on the left.  Select the boundary you want to adjust ("right", presumably), then just click somewhere in the grey bit to make it longer.

kittens

Thank you so much. This is gonna be so much fun.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

madhair60

madhair60

Super Mario Bros X is now available here - the official site took it down.

Well, I've been busy.  Got 10 levels here, if anyone wants to give them a look.  I would appreciate critique on my level design.

Download my levels here

To play them, first install Super Mario Bros X, then go to the "SMBX" folder.  Go to "worlds", and extract the Stuper Mario Bros X (Demo) RAR file into that folder.  Then open Super Mario Bros X, select "play game", and the confusingly-named Stuper Mario Bros X should be listed under both single and multiplayer.

Have fun.  And if you make any levels, post them!