Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:54:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Susannah York RIP

Started by Danger Man, January 15, 2011, 11:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danger Man

Another childhood 'wank fantasy' passes away.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12200725

The Killing of Sister George is the one to watch and she was good in They Shoot Horses, Don't They? as well. Somebody else will have to tell us if she did anything of note in the last 40 years.

RIP

Saucer51

A few years ago on Satellite tv they showed quite an old war series called We'll Meet Again. It starred Susannah York as a local bit of totty who was having a rather dignified affair with a GI top brass. As I recall it was quite a good series.

I can also recall her in the Battle of Britain. She looked nice but rather anachronistic for the 1940's with her pale pink lips and gamine crop. However, it's sad that another face in the arts has died.

Jake Thingray

She was discovered by Sydney Newman's ARMCHAIR THEATRE in the late 50's, soon migrating to movies. Slightly irked that the R5 news headline very early this morning merely referred to her as "the actress who played SUPERMAN's mother". The "der-best-film-evah-made-is-THE ITALIAN JOB-innit" crowd will probably claim that two silly films pairing her with Roger Moore and his amazing dancing eyebrows, GOLD (made in South Africa at the time of apartheid, to her credit she was politically active on set) and THAT LUCKY TOUCH were the highpoint of her career.

Anyway, I'll stop ranting and echo what David Shipman, a fine critic and a friend of Squidy's dad, did in his book THE GREAT MOVIE STARS: "And Susannah York saving a poor movie from complete dreariness, simply by looking like this:"

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Danger Man on January 15, 2011, 11:33:53 PM
...The Killing of Sister George is the one to watch and she was good in They Shoot Horses, Don't They? as well. Somebody else will have to tell us if she did anything of note in the last 40 years.

RIP
Tom Jones, which I think was the last film that Tony Richardson did in Britain, is worth a mention as it's a great film and she's very good. Very much an ensemble film, but Oh! What a Lovely War is also a noteworthy film - as is A Man For All Seasons.