Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:57:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Watching under the influence

Started by copylight, January 16, 2011, 12:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

copylight

Films are great or utterly shite when under the influence. Could this be a creative viewing experience. If so, what's going on with your consciousness?

For Japanese, one doesn't have a dream, linguistically a dream is seen. This model of designating a dream-experience proposes a kind of direct-object (or naive realistic) philosophy and it got me into thinking about films and an imbalance with both in my view. In English a film is ''watched'' (as it is in Japanese also) but the question of having a film or watching it is an interesting materialistic question when a film is experienced when drinking. For me anyway, watching a film is rarely in a communal cinema environment. I watch on my computer and have the experience in my own hands as it were, with a beer. Watching a film in a communal ''theater'' is a different kettle of fish than at home for multiple reasons but one fact that is pertinent is the lack of readily available liquid cheer to imbibe. When such fridge-objects are at hand, it's a vehicle for a completely different viewing experience (or a smoke).

In some cases viewing shite films can be amplified in their shiteness or greatness and so too for critically acclaimed fair also. For example, watching 127 Hours when drinking made the sentimentality seem a necessary hook for me to get into it but upon watching it sober, it felt much more obvious.

Which films gained access to your imagination when under the influence in ways that they wouldn't normally do?

I love Enter The Void by the way, sober or otherwise.

mcbpete

I'm a big fan of INLAND EMPIRE but when watched sober it does seem to drag on a little, however if I start drinking as the film starts and continue drinking throughout it evolves into one of the most emotionally touching and mindblowing films ever. Of all the films I've watched drunk, that is the one that stands out by far as being the greatest.

copylight

Yeah, I think heightened sentimentality is a really strange by product of wearing the beer goggles & wine glasses, and a fascinating indicator to not just a film but your own latent urges too. I watched Gremlins last night (pissed) and I couldn't stomach what I felt to be the shameless animal cruelty.
Spoiler alert
No, really.
[close]

El Unicornio, mang

I hate drinking and watching stuff, mainly because if I'm drinking I want to chat with friends, dance and mess about, not sit watching stuff. However, if I've had some pot the experience of films/TV shows is definitely amplified, like I get more sucked into the atmosphere. This had a very negative impact on me when I went to see Event Horizon at the cinema baked off my trolley. Closest I've come to shitting my pants.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I remember feeling an especially bitter sense of frustration and despair watching The Edukators while having knocked back a few bottles of wheatbeer. It was such a unique and profound low I'd almost strangely recommend it. I think it's permanently affected my outlook on life.

Emma Raducanu

I often find my response to a film is largely due to how I'm feeling in the precise moment of watching it. I remember quitting my Masters degree by getting up midclass while my tutor was wanking on about databases and disappearing to the cinema to watch Milk and I remember being overwhelmed by the energy of it and liked to assume I'd done something in the same spirit. Watching it again, I still enjoy it, think the performances are great but I feel a bit more detached from it.

Have in broken up with my girlfriend and suffering with the feeling of not being good enough for much of our time together, I was strangely moved by the scene in Weird Science where Lisa is teaching Wyatt how to kiss. It felt slightly like looking into a horrible metaphorical mirror. I watched it again yesterday and felt no illfeeling - but I did become aware of how lovely the music during the scene is.

Barberism

Avoid Transformers: The Movie if you are on shrooms.

NoSleep

sirhenry

Whereas What Dreams May Come should only be watched under the influence of something psychedelic.

phantom_power

i watched natural born killers on a comedown and it seemed like the best, most intense film ever made. later sober viewings showed this not to be the case

uglybob1986

I was experiencing an awful hangover the first time I watched Withnail and I, and it was magnificent

Jaffit

I remember me and a few friends went out clubbing one weekend and took some pills. It got to 4pm on the Sunday and we'd all been awake for 30 odd hours and were starting to come down and turned on the TV to see the film Turner & Hooch was just starting. I think we sat through the entire film in silence and all looked at each other at the end on the verge of tears (sad tears). Narcotics can make the most inane shit seem strikingly profound.

Zero Gravitas

Excessive drinking totally ruined Black in the Saddle II for me.

Dead kate moss

One of the benefits of Zopiclone is that your short-term memory is fucked. So you can have a good old laugh at something then watch it the next day and you've forgotten all the jokes.

I watched The Phantom Menace for the first time on fucking heroin (don't do drugs) but even then I could tell it was shit.

Famous Mortimer

I watched "Monster A-Go-Go" while drunk last night and it was hilarious. Well, it's funny-awful at the best of times, but with the extra layer of booze it becomes an avant-garde piece of comedy art.

Mister Six

I watched the bizarre 'The Happiness of the Karakturis' (a musical about a family that run a hotel on a volcano and are horrified when their guests keep humorously dying) while utterly munted and thought it was brilliant. Watching it again sober I realised that the weed had handily edited out the long, long swathes of tedious nothing that sit between each moment of absurd fantasy.