Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:37:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

world's worst waxworks

Started by weaseldust, January 18, 2011, 02:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dead kate moss

As I suspected, this was at Great Yarmouth. I've been to this, in about 1980. So maybe before they made the (I'm guessing) Richard Thingy out of The Thorn Birds, which its nice to see they never retired. I also seem to remember a zoo on the prom which included about seven animals, one of which was a poor crocodile in a small tank and people just threw coins on him. It had a good 'crazy house' though, with one of those revolving tubes you have to walk through, and a giant slide at the end that had a proper scary drop. Some of these memories may be mixed up with Skegness.

jaydee81

I'm guessing this is Lineker, Gascoigne and Michael Owen (inexplicably), but the guy on the left is clearly Graham Taylor.
Maybe when they wanted a picture of Lineker they typed it into Google image search and it does that thing where it brings up pictures of other people that have been tagged as what you searched.

Jemble Fred

Ah, not Morecambe then? Well that one was similarly terrifying. There's also a Louis Tussauds at Blackpool and come to think of it, I probably went to all three museums during my childhood.

Oh, and that mystery one above is Michael Barrymore.

hpmons

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on January 18, 2011, 11:06:51 AM
Bill Oddie in Abba? Saxondale as Charles Manson?

Can someone please tell me who the people are in the Mr Blobby photo (with the exception of Gordon Kaye)? It's doing my head in?
I'm guessing Jim Davidson? Aaand Noel Edmonds.  On the far right looks like Alistair McGowan maybe.
Also, this looks like the bloke from Sex & The City, but I am out of ideas as to who it is:

Arggh, I'm sure I know who this is...I want to say Tom Hanks, but I don't think that's the person I'm thinking of.  Someone a bit like Tom Hanks.

Neville Chamberlain

That's Michael Barrymore!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!????????????????

small_world

Also, this looks like the bloke from Sex & The City, but I am out of ideas as to who it is:

Where's Dec?

It is, isn't it?

This is great, although it could have been better had you took photos of only the heads. And then spoilered the full clothed/group shot.
They are terrible though aren't they. Although, I've never really seen the point in these. It's not like you could have a photo taken next to them and pretend they're the real people, you'd only be fooling yourself[nb]and only then if you were fucking mental[/nb].

madhair60

Jemble Fred

If Tom Hanks was offended by Gervais, he'd be twice as hurt by being compared to that Barrymore waxwork.

mook

mook

Quote from: madhair60 on January 18, 2011, 11:24:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMCUH7Nmabc

Obviously.

Hilarious thread btw.

1 min 42 into that clip. happytree?!                       !

Dead kate moss

Quote from: weaseldust on January 18, 2011, 02:24:20 AM

Keith Floyd, Edmonds (interchangable with Peter Sutcliffe... and so is the waxwork, ho ho) next to Blobby... and Terry Wogan?

Jemble Fred

Ah, it could be Floyd. I thought it was Jim Davidson.

Johnny Townmouse

You thought that because it looks as much like Davidson as it does Floyd. However, the bow tie puts it down as Floyd for sure. Edmonds looks like a 70s New York narcotics cop. So much so that I assumed it was a character from a 70s New York narcotics cop show.

Dead kate moss

Doing Mr Blobby is a bit of a cheat isn't it? And my Wogan guess can't be right because he is elsewhere.

Who the eff is this? Steve Strange?

buntyman

The Hitler one looks more like Paul Jewell following one of his fetishist sex episodes.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Dead kate moss on January 18, 2011, 11:39:48 AM

I'm starting to think that it is Liza Minnelli, but that can't be true, can it?
It certainly can't be the lead singer of Sparks, Joan Jett or Adam Ant?

SetToStun

That's Posh. She's standing next to Becks, both wearing inexplicable motorcycle leathers.

The one in dispute about Davidson/Floyd is, in fact, Davidson, believe it or not - the bow tie is a remnant of his old stand-up days. The waxworks there are really that old. I've been to that place several times, most recently last summer, and I cannot get any of them out of my brain. They are permanently engraved. Help me.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: SetToStun on January 18, 2011, 11:49:46 AM
That's Posh. She's standing next to Becks, both wearing inexplicable motorcycle leathers.

Fuck me.

QuoteThe one in dispute about Davidson/Floyd is, in fact, Davidson, believe it or not.

FUCK ME.

Edit: Hang on though - he is wearing a Floyd-esque bow-tie - it's velvet red like the old piss-head used to wear. Do you think they have labelled it wrong, or just decided to re-label it because Davidson is (in some minds) more famous?

sirhenry

Anglo-italian footwear model Sue Permario-Nation.

SetToStun

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on January 18, 2011, 11:52:29 AMEdit: Hang on though - he is wearing a Floyd-esque bow-tie - it's velvet red like the old piss-head used to wear. Do you think they have labelled it wrong, or just decided to re-label it because Davidson is (in some minds) more famous?

Believe it or not, it's probably as simple as "comedians wear dinner suits and bow ties. What have we got in stock?" Honestly, the photos don't do the place justice - you really need to go and have a look for yourself to see just exactly how shoddy and low-rent it really is. Great Yarmouth, main parade from the town to the sea (I think it's called Prince Something Way or something similar). Same street as the rock factory and all those lovely tat-and-t-shirt shops. I make a point of going at least once a year, it really is that astonishing.

Ronnie the Raincoat

Doing Mr Blobby is a bit of a cheat isn't it? And my Wogan guess can't be right because he is elsewhere.

Richey Edwards.  Actually the real one.  He fucked off to stand still in Louis Tussauds forever.

SetToStun

Quote from: mook on January 18, 2011, 11:52:58 AM
ok. +41-44-980 44 59

+41 - that's Switzerland. I really don't need to research this any further, do I, old love? How sweet that you looked up the number for me. I assume you personally have it on speed dial.

Phil_A

Brian Wilson there, sharing a joke with his old mate John Simpson.

Pauline Fowler was famously never in ABBA. It's one of the reasons they weren't called ABBP.[nb]The other reasons: http://www.abbreviations.com/ABBP[/nb]

koeman

That takes me back to childhood Saturday teatimes, watching my grandmother's slightly wonky telly.

Jemble Fred

I'm guessing Des O'Connor for the one on the far right there.

The scariest thing is the presumption that the owner has sex with a different dummy every night.

That Starsky and Hutch one made a few drops of wee come out.  I hope you're satisfied!

Lfbarfe

Quote from: hpmons on January 18, 2011, 11:22:03 AM
I'm guessing Jim Davidson? Aaand Noel Edmonds.  On the far right looks like Alistair McGowan maybe.Arggh, I'm sure I know who this is...I want to say Tom Hanks, but I don't think that's the person I'm thinking of.  Someone a bit like Tom Hanks.

Could be Michael Barrymore. Could be Jack Nicholson. Could be neither. That's the beauty of it. Great pictures at the head of the thread, but you missed the comedy value of the boards outside, and what the proprietors believe to be enticing, both of which were clearly put up in 1989 (apart from the 'Posh and Becks et al' bit):

madhair60

Just seeing "Kojak" made me burst out laughing.