Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:49:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

3DS Thread

Started by jutl, January 19, 2011, 06:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jutl

After the various press conferences the Nintendo 3DS is now available for pre-order. Buy one here:
Black|Blue
to support CAB. Will you be getting one? What games are you anticipating with almost sexual levels of arousal?

For me I think it has to be Pilotwings...

I still play the N64 version fairly regularly.

SSFIV. Not touched it in many many months.

madhair60

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance.  THREE D'S, DO YOU SEE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8OJ3P_83qQ

I will buy a 3DS for this.

Still Not George

I am actually looking forward to the 3DS, I have to say. The "3D" bit is more gimmick bollocks, but the whole premise of a DS sized machine with Wii-scale hardware seems a good step forward.

fat handed twat

Is it gimmick bollocks though? Have you seen it in action? It might be pretty good, I don't see how you can just dismiss it like that unless you've actually seen it and know that the 3D aspect adds nothing to the gaming experience.

Consignia

I've got to get my hands on one of those sexy beasts, although the region lock is immensely irritating. I may end up buying than one.

bitesize

i was interested, til i found out it's gonna be £230 at launch! that's ridiculous - it's proper console money, surely a handheld should be cheaper?! the wii was £180 at launch, and came with a pack-in game (well 5 games if you include each of the Wii Sports games), this is £50 more and comes with nowt.

games are apparently gonna retail for the full £40 as well - again, console game prices. people are accustomed to handheld stuff being cheaper (especially in these days of ultra-cheap quickie games from the App Store etc). i think it'll still be fairly successful, people will always buy Nintendo stuff whatever the price, but there's no way i'm gonna get one until the price comes way down. i think the original DS was £99 when it came out, that's the kind of price i want to see on a handheld. shame, cos i'm quite excited about Pilotwings and MonkeyBall in 3D. but not 230 quid's worth of excited.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: fat handed twat on January 19, 2011, 10:01:24 PM
Is it gimmick bollocks though?

The very concept of '3D' in all entertainment is gimmickry, no matter how well it's done.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: bitesize on January 20, 2011, 10:14:50 AM
i was interested, til i found out it's gonna be £230 at launch! that's ridiculous - it's proper console money, surely a handheld should be cheaper?! the wii was £180 at launch, and came with a pack-in game (well 5 games if you include each of the Wii Sports games), this is £50 more and comes with nowt....
..games are apparently gonna retail for the full £40 as well - again, console game prices. people are accustomed to handheld stuff being cheaper...
The Atari Lynx was £199 - nice machines, but awful battery life and not the most portable of machines. The 3DS' battery life isn't that great, so that might be a sticking point.

The main opposition that Nintendo sees for the handheld market is Apple - e.g. one of the bigwigs at Nintendo talked about this last year and research shows that demographics like young females, where a DS was incredibly popular and fashionable, the iPod Touch is more of a must-have gadget now and I've read plenty of supportive anecdotal evidence on sites like EL Reg, where people have commented that their daughters' DS's are gathering dust.

I don't believe the official price has been set yet, but with the kind of hardware that was being talked about, I was going to be very (pleasantly) surprised if it was under £200. Zavvi are doing it for £217 with a free case.

If you buy the entry-level iPod Touch from Apple, you're not going to get much change from £200 – obviously, they do different things, but if the price point is fairly similar (and with higher capacity units, the Touch is more expensive) I don't think that's going to be the sticking point for Nintendo.

Games prices are probably going to be more an issue. Smiths and Zavvi are doing the games for £30 - I can't see Game etc. remaining where they are. Nut in any case, I suspect they'll be a roaring second-hand trade as there is now.

jutl

Quote from: Ignatius_S on January 20, 2011, 10:48:19 AM
I don't believe the official price has been set yet, but with the kind of hardware that was being talked about, I was going to be very (pleasantly) surprised if it was under £200. Zavvi are doing it for £217 with a free case.

Nintendo said that retailers would set the price in Europe, and it looks like in the UK that's going to be £210-£230. It'll be interesting to see where the price goes once the pre-order stock is gone. Still, Nintendo supposedly delayed the release until after Christmas in order to have a lot of stock in hand and avoid shortages, so we may not have to deal with ugly enforced packages at £300 nearer the release date. 

turnstyle

The 3DS is pretty expensive, and I think the UK price is probably about as high as they could have gone before interest dropped off massively.

The original DS launched for £99 back in 2005, which seems like a bit of a bargain now.

I had some hands on time with the 3DS last year, and the 3D effect is really impressive, considering the small screen and lack of glasses. I played a bit of Pilot Wings, and the 3D really did give it an added depth.

Have to say I'm a little dissapointed with the line up of games at launch, there's not really a great deal that grabs me. I'm not really interested in remakes (I've played OoT to death already), and I'm not too bothered about SF4 either, having burned out on it on the 360.

I'll probably pick up Pilot Wings, and James Noir's Hollywood Crimes, which I've also played, and seems like a gritty Layton.*

*There's something strangley unsettling about the term 'Gritty Layton'

Jim Jarmusch

80 minute! Presentation hosted by Sir Jonathan Ross.

http://live.nintendo3ds.nintendo-europe.com/?at=ad&ac=to&as=IGN&an=UK_3DS%20announcement

I wouldn't get one until PSP2 is announced.

Ignatius_S

Game are offering the following trade-ins:

DSi XL, You Pay: £124.99
DSi, You Pay: £154.99
DS Lite, You Pay: £189.99
Wii Console Black/ Red, You Pay: £159.99
Wii Console White, You Pay: £179.99
PSP 3000, You Pay: £179.99
PSP Slim & Lite, You Pay: £184.99
PSP Base, You Pay: £189.99
Xbox 360 Arcade, You Pay: £179.99
Quote from: jutl on January 20, 2011, 11:05:35 AM
Nintendo said that retailers would set the price in Europe, and it looks like in the UK that's going to be £210-£230. It'll be interesting to see where the price goes once the pre-order stock is gone. Still, Nintendo supposedly delayed the release until after Christmas in order to have a lot of stock in hand and avoid shortages, so we may not have to deal with ugly enforced packages at £300 nearer the release date.
Cheers for that – as you say, it'll be very interesting to see where the price goes after the pre-order stock.

I had wondered why they didn't get it out for Christmas – that makes a lot of sense.

Quote from: turnstyle on January 20, 2011, 11:18:13 AM
...The original DS launched for £99 back in 2005, which seems like a bit of a bargain now...

I'll probably pick up Pilot Wings, and James Noir's Hollywood Crimes, which I've also played, and seems like a gritty Layton.*..
At launch, the DSi was £150 and the DSi XL £160 so after the Lite, the price was creeping up.

I wonder if they would do a 'gritty Layton' – "Leave it, Professor – he's not worth it".

Still Not George

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on January 20, 2011, 01:36:00 PMI wouldn't get one until PSP2 is announced.

I am all agog for hard data on that fucker. The rumours are nothing short of unbelievable, so I really want the official specs. Only a week to wait, mind.

Still Not George

Oh, and I had a flash of realisation last night - the next mobile game concept I'm working on would work just as well, if not better, on 3DS and PSP2 as it does on Android/iPhone. So there's seriously exciting possibilities there. I'd be interested to see what the plans are for the downloadables space on the new handhelds - I can't seem to find much about it on 3DS (and PSP2 data is all conjecture and rumour, of course).

jutl

Quote from: Still Not George on January 20, 2011, 02:09:21 PM
I am all agog for hard data on that fucker. The rumours are nothing short of unbelievable, so I really want the official specs. Only a week to wait, mind.

The thing is, the PSP was an extraordinary machine for the time it was released, and yet it never really took off. Part of that was because third party developer support fell away once the machine's firmware was compromised and piracy became the norm, but I think that another major factor was that no-one was really looking for a device like the PSP. It was intriguing to wonder what a portable PS2 would be like, but ultimately it was just another traditional gaming machine, and a pricey one at that. The DS, gimmicky as it is, managed to spark people's imaginations, and appeal to audiences who don't know how to acquire and play pirated games. It looks like the 3DS will be the first platform on which most people will see 3D movies outside the cinema, so again it has something to mark it out. I do want the PSP2 to be worthwhile and succeed, but it will need something other than welly to avoid tanking (particularly as Sony seem to be getting shitter and shitter at keeping their devices secure as time goes by).

Consignia

Quote from: jutl on January 20, 2011, 02:28:55 PM
The thing is, the PSP was an extraordinary machine for the time it was released, and yet it never really took off.

It's done pretty well in Sony's home territory, in fact it is pretty much the PS2 replacement over there. I think the real failure in the West was due to there being few wow games to West's taste coupled with the price.

Still Not George

The PSP cannot be called a failure by any reasonable meaning of the term. To date, 51 million PSPs have been sold worldwide - that's as many PSPs as 360s. The PSP has sold more units than the iPod Touch and iPhones prior to 4 combined. The only metric it failed in was "outselling a ludicrously popular casual gaming machine at twice its price."

The DS is a phenomenon; the PSP is a success.

Consignia

Yeah, I suppose not the right word at all. It has lost a lot of momentum outside of Japan though, where it still continues to be a tour de force. Will the PSP brand hold enough water to allow the PSP2 to be a worldwide success?

jutl

Quote from: Still Not George on January 20, 2011, 03:49:01 PM
The PSP cannot be called a failure by any reasonable meaning of the term. To date, 51 million PSPs have been sold worldwide - that's as many PSPs as 360s. The PSP has sold more units than the iPod Touch and iPhones prior to 4 combined. The only metric it failed in was "outselling a ludicrously popular casual gaming machine at twice its price."

The DS is a phenomenon; the PSP is a success.

The attach rate for the PSP is low though - worse than the Wii. With having to do three hardware revisions during the lifetime of the PSP and the disaster that was UMD, I doubt it made Sony much money. As for the implication that comparing it to the DS is an unfair comparison - if Sony don't want to compete for that larger market then making another powerful expensive machine is probably the way to go.

biggytitbo

I've already got something 3d that i can hold in my hand, play with and it gives me an immense amount of pleasure...

A rubix cube!

jutl

Anyone pick one up today? Mine arrived with Pilotwings and the Julian Gollop turn-based one this lunchtime. So far it look promising.

Consignia

I had one on order from amazon, but I've been screwed by the expediated Delivery cock-up: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-25-amazon-accused-of-3ds-delivery-failure. They dispatching soon, but I'm not holding out too much hope of having it before tommorrow, and I might not even get a go on it until next week.

jutl

Quote from: Consignia on March 25, 2011, 01:34:14 PM
I had one on order from amazon, but I've been screwed by the expediated Delivery cock-up: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-25-amazon-accused-of-3ds-delivery-failure. They dispatching soon, but I'm not holding out too much hope of having it before tommorrow, and I might not even get a go on it until next week.

Mine was one day delivery from Amazon, so it's not everyone. Sorry to hear there's a problem, though.

Joy Nktonga

Pre-ordered one from Sainsburys for my son a couple of weeks back. I went in this morning and picked it up and grabbed him a copy of Ghost Recon to go with it (out of the handful of titles it's the most like the sort of thing he usually plays). I've been a very good Dad and stuck it on charge for him and haven't so much as switched it on even though I'm itching to give a look-see. Good price in Sainsburys too: £197.00.

jutl

So far the most impressive thing has been the built-in AR games. I hadn't bothered to read much about them, but it is a lovely little demonstration of the technology.

Milo

3D cinema does little for me so I don't expect it to do much for gaming. I want one as a jazzed up DS really, but I need to establish if it definitely still works with R4 cards. 187 on amazon is quite tempting.

So is the 3DS rubbish then? Thinking of getting one for SSF4 but the control system looks shite. Might as well now wait for the PC version. Is there anything worth owning on 3DS?

Consignia

It's not that it's rubbish, it's got potential. It's just got nothing worth playing on it yet. SSFIV is a bit pap, the control scheme is really uncomfortable. It looks quite nice though. There's nothing in the immediate pipeline that looks that interesting, and Nintendo really missed a trick not having a killer app available on release.

chocky909

Pilotwings would've been the killer app for me if they hadn't been so stingy, having fewer vehicles, modes and environments than the N64 version which I loved.