Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:45:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Amazing World Of DOS/Early 90s PC Gaming

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, January 20, 2011, 02:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

Did you get any of the Police Quest games? They're worth playing. Part 4 is actually quite disturbing (or as disturbing as an early 90s game can get)

Consignia

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on January 23, 2011, 09:33:57 PM
(or as disturbing as an early 90s game can get)

Alone in the Dark scared the shit out of me as kid. I actually hid the discs so it couldn't be accidentally played.

El Unicornio, mang

I quite fancied getting the 2008 remake of that game but it seemed to get mixed reviews, and also I'm a massive pansy and would probably soil my pants if I played it

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I have all the Alone In The Darks, and should be discovering them for the very first time. It's odd but in some way terrible graphics can lead to things looking even more weird and disturbing.

Oh and yes, I have 9 Police Quest games to try. Is this good?

Consignia

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 23, 2011, 09:54:19 PM
It's odd but in some way terrible graphics can lead to things looking even more weird and disturbing.

They were way ahead of their time, but that really wasn't what scared me. It was freakiness of the monsters, the way they moved, the noises they made. It probably would be easily tolerable for adults, but for a nine year old who'd never seen such things before it was nightmare inducing. The first room with the two monsters in the attic is committed for a very scary part of my mind.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That even scares me to read. I don't like horror games all that much. I even nearly shit myself playing Doom II last week when I turned around to see a massive pixelly drone in my face. I don't think my mind appreciates it isn't real. No matter how hard I try.

Phil_A

Oh, how could I forget The Fool's Errand. Great simple-but-frustrating menu-based puzzler. There's no action, you just solve a bunch of puzzles to unscramble a map and lift the curse on a weird Tarot-based fantasy world. I think I meant to write about this for the 1000 Best Games thread, but forgot. Also you can download it without guilt, as Cliff Johnson's put it up on his website for free.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 23, 2011, 09:54:19 PM
I have all the Alone In The Darks, and should be discovering them for the very first time. It's odd but in some way terrible graphics can lead to things looking even more weird and disturbing.

Oh and yes, I have 9 Police Quest games to try. Is this good?

Yes, they are all good in their own way (although part 3 has a really bad driving sub-game)

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 23, 2011, 09:15:57 PM
Champ Manager 97/98 - I discovered I am not a very good loser. Lost my first 5 matches as Notts County manager and...well, not sure whether I'll be back. They'll sack me at this rate anyway!

What happens if you do terribly as a manager in these games? Do you eventually get offered work as a pundit?

I genuinely don't recall ever being in a position where nobody would hire me but it seems that to make a game realistic you should potentially be able to become unhirable.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

This theory was tested out to the limit on one Football Manager game on the SI Forums. As I recall someone remained unemployed for over a year after deliberately failing with a Conference North team.

Sometimes you'll get a job simply through having been in charge for a season. Just like in real life I suppose, where crap managers keep getting jobs on the basis of not being sacked in the first 3 months of their tenure.

Geraint

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on January 24, 2011, 03:26:02 PM
What happens if you do terribly as a manager in these games? Do you eventually get offered work as a pundit?

I genuinely don't recall ever being in a position where nobody would hire me but it seems that to make a game realistic you should potentially be able to become unhirable.

I think so long as you've got leagues running that include a terrible standard of football (English Non-league, Scots Div 3, loads of the shittier European leagues) there'll always be some teams willing to hire you. I remember on the older ones you were guaranteed to get the job of the clubs newly promoted to the conference the second you applied