Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:38:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 6

Started by biggytitbo, January 20, 2011, 04:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

I thought I may as well start this in light of the terrible news about what happens in Series 6. Its from the Daily Star, so hopefully its complete bollocks:

Spoiler alert
The big mid season twist is that Amy gets pregnant and its not Rory's...Fingers point to the Doctor amongst others in a who's the father plotline.
[close]

Ohh god, please no!

Jemble Fred

Sounds perfectly in keeping with the nasty pervy atmos that pervaded most of the last series. I still don't buy it though, not as a major plot point anyway. Even Moffatt wouldn't have The Doctor actually fucking his companion. At the most, it'll be some kind of DNA-splicing wibbly weird event or something. Or more likely, just utter bollocks.

biggytitbo

Don't agree with the nasty atmos thing (that was the Poisoned Sky you plum!), but yeah I tune into the show for adventures in space and time not Eastenders plots.

Gahhh.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 20, 2011, 04:50:53 PM
(that was the Poisoned Sky you plum!)

Eh? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Poison_Sky

Come on, Moffatt had the Doctor stripping while Crazylegs Crane wrang out her kecks within about half an hour of taking over as showrunner, he's completely perved the show up already.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Amy getting pregnant is too similar to Amy's Choice, surely? I know Moffat likes to recycle ideas, but not to that extent. Or so I would've thought.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Jemble Fred on January 20, 2011, 04:54:53 PM
Eh? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Poison_Sky

Come on, Moffatt had the Doctor stripping while Crazylegs Crane wrang out her kecks within about half an hour of taking over as showrunner, he's completely perved the show up already.

Atmos was the device they used in the Sontaron Stratagem to poison the world!

All the 'pervy' stuff so far has been very mild Carry On style stuff played entirely for comedy, don't see the problem with it myself.

Jake Thingray

Heterosexuality in 21st century-rehashed DOCTOR WHO?

There's a first time for everything, I suppose.

Ambient Sheep

Obligatory back-linkage:

Sheepy's slightly-newer expanded guide to Doctor Who threads

Main threads about the new series, in chronological order of creation:
2004/03/04 - 2004/03/20:  Izzard as Dr Who ? (Rampant speculation)
2004/03/20 - 2005/02/21:  And the new Doctor Who is... (Eccleston's announcement to the start of Series 1 (27))
2005/02/27 - 2006/10/10:  New Doctor Who (Series 1 (27) & 2 (28))
2006/11/01 - 2007/05/21:  Newer Doctor Who  (Series 3 (29) part 1)
2007/05/24 - 2009/10/21:  The New Doctor Who thread (Series 3 (29) part 2, Series 4 (30), 2009 up to but not including The Waters Of Mars)
2009/10/21 - 2010/03/26:  The "New" Doctor Who Thread (2009 just before The Waters of Mars to just before Series 5 (31/Fnarg) aired)
2010/03/18 - 2010/07/27:   Doctor Who - Series 5 Discussion (No Spoilers) (Series 5 (31/Fnarg))
2010/06/13 - 2011/01/15?: So, Doctor Who. (started as Fry's questions thread, mutated halfway down page 12 into general post-Series-5-(31/Fnarg) discussion, including the 2010 Christmas special)
2011/01/20 - 201?/??/??:    Doctor Who Series 6 (Series 6 (32), the current thread, you're reading it now)

Other Doctor Who threads, also in chronological order apart from the second one:
Old Doctor Who (Original thread, 2005/05/11 - 2010/06/08)
Old Doctor Who (Current thread, 2011/01/14 onwards)
Torchwood Series 1
The Sarah Jane Adventures (just the pilot, not Series 1)
The Best And Worst Of Doctor Who... Ever
Doctor Who - where does everyone stand now ?
Torchwood Series 2
Sarah Jane adventures- Series 2
Torchwood Series 3
Sarah Jane Adventures Series 3
Doctor Who and the SPOILERS OF DEATH (aborted Series 5 (31/Fnarg) thread)
Recommend me some Old Doctor Who
Junior Masterchef with Doctor Who
Doctor Who: The Adventure Games

(Info from here and here plus my own further searching.  Thanks to Tokyo Sexwhale for reminding me back in February about the two earliest threads.  Further additions & corrections welcome.)

biggytitbo

Of course the story could be a 5 minute scene where Amy discovers  she's pregnant, and theres a few nudging jokes that it could be the doctor. And then
Spoiler alert
Amy gives birth to River Song
[close]

Jemble Fred

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 20, 2011, 04:58:07 PM
All the 'pervy' stuff so far has been very mild Carry On style stuff played entirely for comedy, don't see the problem with it myself.

Well I can live with it, but I still think all the dodginess between Pond and the Doctor has been in poorer taste than anything RTD ever came up with. I got as sick of the Doctor/Rose cobblers as anyone else (and that's the other point – why even bother to have another will thy/won't they type companion at all, so soon?), but at least their attraction was based on a bit more[nb]It was based on CHIPS AND PIES!1!!!1![/nb] than stripping and ogling (and, allegedly but surely not really, paternity tests).

lipsink

Amy sexing the Doctor up only seemed to be in 'The Eleventh Hour' and the end of 'Flesh and Stone' wasn't it? Once Rory got on board and 'Amy's Choice' showed how much she loved him there wasn't really any sleazy Doctor/Amy stuff.

papalaz4444244

This is off the topic but a quick question

Has FIVE been showing that dire K9 series or not? I haven't noticed it.

papalaz4444244

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 20, 2011, 02:03:38 PM
Spoiler alert
Matthew Grahams
[close]
story is apparently about
Spoiler alert
clones
[close]
, so the
Spoiler alert
Sontarans
[close]
coming back obviously fits. Although it sounds too much like the
Spoiler alert
Poison Sky
[close]
and I don't like the
Spoiler alert
Sontarans
[close]
much anyway.

:( oh bollocks....

Serge

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 20, 2011, 04:39:11 PM
Spoiler alert
The big mid season twist is that Amy gets pregnant and its not Rory's...Fingers point to the Doctor amongst others in a who's the father plotline.
[close]

Maybe it's
Spoiler alert
the Doctor's clone who gets her pregnant? Or....she's impregnated by whoever cloned the Doctor to see what a Time Lord/ Human child would be like? We're presumably talking about mad scientists here, after all? Though of course, it could all be bollocks.
[close]

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on January 20, 2011, 10:19:15 PM
This is off the topic but a quick question

Has FIVE been showing that dire K9 series or not? I haven't noticed it.

They showed it in the mornings over the Christmas period, I'm not sure if they're still airing it though.

The first episode is here btw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9MbjOXNpuQ&feature=related

Edit: I've just watched that now, it's not as terrible as I'd been lead to believe. I mean, it's not great, but as kids tv goes it's a lot less irritating than some of the stuff I've seen.

And the chance to see K9 in drag? Who can resist?!

Norton Canes

I don't see why there shouldn't be shades of impropriety - I always liked the throwaway line from the policeman investigating Rose's absence in Aliens Of London, "Was it an adult relationship?"

A paternity test is hardly cliffhanger material, though, especially since waving the sonic screwdriver in the vague direction of a pregnant lady's womb is probably all it takes to identify the father.

padougy

This
Spoiler alert
pregnancy
[close]
stuff reeks of bullshit to me. It seems exactly the sort of soapy, predictable rubbish a journalist would come up with. If it was in the Sun, there could be some truth in it, as they've revealed quite a lot of spoilers in the past (as well as a lot of guff). I wouldn't count on Moffat coming up with something so pedestrian.

Serge

Given the build up that Moffat's been giving this series ('Game-changing', etc), I hope it isn't true, as it's just a bit, well, lame, isn't it? Seeing as the Doctor has already been given a daughter (twice, if Susan really was his granddaughter, and I see no reason to say she wasn't), it's not actually 'game-changing', is it?

papalaz4444244

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 20, 2011, 11:53:56 PM
They showed it in the mornings over the Christmas period, I'm not sure if they're still airing it though.

I downloaded all 20 odd eps and got to episode 10 before I gave up..... it's awful. Really, really bugger all to do with K9 or Dr Who.

SavageHedgehog

Quite frankly I was disappointed it wasn't a spin-off from the Jim Belushi movies. I didn't think it had anything to do with Who at first because it was on 5.

Mister Six

Quote from: padougy on January 21, 2011, 11:55:06 AM
This
Spoiler alert
pregnancy
[close]
stuff reeks of bullshit to me. It seems exactly the sort of soapy, predictable rubbish a journalist would come up with. If it was in the Sun, there could be some truth in it, as they've revealed quite a lot of spoilers in the past (as well as a lot of guff). I wouldn't count on Moffat coming up with something so pedestrian.

Yes, exactly. No fucking chance that these rumours are anything more than the half-hearted ramblings of a journo with a quarter of a page to fill and bugger all news to hand.

Top tip: anything backed up by unnamed 'insiders' is almost certainly bullshit. If Amy does get pregnant it'll involve something a lot more complicated and interesting than a 'who's the father' storyline. I'm genuinely surprised that anyone who's seen Moffat's first season would think this sounds plausible. Surely his tenure is marked out by complex time-travel conceits rather than soapy fluff? In fact I'd say that Amy is closer to a traditional Doctor Who companion than Rose ever was - right down to having a non-existant family and few (now no) connections to Earth itself.

biggytitbo

I think there's some truth in it, but as to be expected the rumor has become completely exaggerated and it'll be a lot less soapy than they describe.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Mister Six on January 21, 2011, 05:16:56 PM
Surely his tenure is marked out by complex time-travel conceits rather than soapy fluff?

What show were you watching? I saw the Hollyoaks-y one about another 'runaway bride' where the entire series story arc turns out to be all in her head, and every cliffhanger is pissed away in seconds.

Marvin

Probably should have watched Doctor Who instead, it was pretty good.

Jemble Fred

Er, good one. 'Hollyoaks-y' is going a bit far, that was rather lazy of me, but the point is that this rumour (and despite the last series, I have enough respect left for Moffatt that I'm not at all convinced that it's true) is a perfectly logical extension of what Steve Moffatt already did in the recent series. It's a continuation of the same old Doctor-versus-Rory-with-everything-centred-on-Amy's-choice bullshit which we've already had to put up with, so it's disingenuous to act completely taken aback by the idea like Moffatt's above such a thing.

Seriously, the drugs some of you have taken to blind yourself to the last series' sins must be hot shit.

biggytitbo

There's only one person high on drugs here my friend and thats you. High on the wrongness drug ohh yeah.

Jemble Fred

Well whether you enjoyed it or not is all opinion, of course – but what isn't, is the objective fact that the rumour which kicked this thread off is a direct extension of what was already happening in series 5, and is far from the mind-blowingly left-field suggestion that you seem to think it is. Go on, admit it, it's perfectly likely to be true. The rumour only exists because the love triangle backstory was there to directly inspire some hack to come up with it. So it's ridiculous to act all shocked, like Steve's shit don't stink. It really does stink, his shit. It stinks bad. Of shit.

biggytitbo

Yeah i do think its at least partially true. But its all how its handled, ooo-eerr.

Jemble Fred

And because I'm now feeling all bad for referring to his faeces, I'd like to restate that in my opinion Steven Moffatt has proven himself to be a farceur on a par with Cleese & Booth and bloody Moliére, and though I've never revisited the show, I remember being blown away by Press Gang when I was a kid. I really like the woolly-headed fellow. His early one-off Who scripts were also good. I just think, as a sci-fi writer and showrunner, he seems to get an insanely easy ride.

VegaLA

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 21, 2011, 07:21:52 PM
Yeah i do think its at least partially true. But its all how its handled, ooo-eerr.

True. Although I am worried this may happen I remember how ridiculous the Finale for Season 4 sounded when it was 'leaked'. Two versions of the tenth Doc, one in Brown the other in the Blue suit really sounded stupid to me and I point blank dismissed it.
When it was broadcast and it all came to light it wass'nt as bad as it sounded. not good, but not as bad.

I do hope these Eastenders rumours are complete fake though.