Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:05:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 6

Started by biggytitbo, January 20, 2011, 04:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: Jemble Fred on January 21, 2011, 06:38:26 PM
Er, good one. 'Hollyoaks-y' is going a bit far, that was rather lazy of me, but the point is that this rumour (and despite the last series, I have enough respect left for Moffatt that I'm not at all convinced that it's true) is a perfectly logical extension of what Steve Moffatt already did in the recent series. It's a continuation of the same old Doctor-versus-Rory-with-everything-centred-on-Amy's-choice bullshit which we've already had to put up with, so it's disingenuous to act completely taken aback by the idea like Moffatt's above such a thing.

Not really. The 'Doctor vs Rory, Amy's Choice' stuff was only ever in one episode called, oddly enough, 'Amy's Choice'.

Cerys

Clearly the journos have got the wrong end of the stick.

- Amy gets pregnant.
- Some comment is made about the dates not matching up.
- It turns out to be an attempt by the Silurian scientist from The Hungry Earth to create a hybrid.
- Moral angst.
- Wibbly wobbly womby zoomy stuff.
- Hybrid is harmlessly transferred to another vessel.
- They all drink lemonade.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 21, 2011, 05:24:45 PM
I think there's some truth in it
There could be a book filled with completely made-up rumours about Doctor Who by the tabloids. I can't believe they still get reported by people saying "they might be true".

papalaz4444244

Actually, an "insider" told a bloke I met at the dole, that Amy Pond turns out to be her own Mother after being inseminated by Doctor Who, an Earth inventor and alternative Universe counterpart of the Doctor. He shagged her in a dreamworld she entered after sniffing psychic spores given to her by Omega in the Land of Fiction.
The Doctor just goes back in Time and stops it all happening.... again and again and again....

It's true!

Norton Canes

Maybe she has a chronic hysterectomy.

biggytitbo

Jemble Fred

Any word yet on zombies, ninjas, and cunts who think any of the above are lolrandom and cool?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Jemble Fred on February 02, 2011, 11:31:04 AM
Any word yet on zombies, ninjas, and cunts who think any of the above are lolrandom and cool?
Yeah because a man who can go back in time going somwhere back in time is really random. Besides, it might be a sequal to the
Spoiler alert
smugglers
[close]

Cerys

Those aren't pirates.  They're Karen, Matt, Arthur and some bloke in an anorak on a bit of a sailing ship.  I cry shenanigans.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Cerys on February 02, 2011, 12:20:35 PM
Those aren't pirates.  They're Karen, Matt, Arthur and some bloke in an anorak on a bit of a sailing ship.  I cry shenanigans.
In the light of htis though - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a300731/hugh-bonneville-for-doctor-who-role.html

Santa's Boyfriend

Neil Gaiman's written an episode of this series hasn't he?  Any idea when his episode is coming up?

Cerys

biggytitbo

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on February 02, 2011, 12:28:36 PM
Neil Gaiman's written an episode of this series hasn't he?  Any idea when his episode is coming up?
Think its episode 3.

VegaLA

biggytitbo

Mister Six

It is lovely! Although I'm not sure everyone should have as big a nose as Eccles...!

Jemble Fred

Why is granddaughter in inverted commas? Are there some Whovians who have some kind of problem with the Doctor being a grandad?

Mister Six

Yeah. Some of them are terrified by the thought of sex at all, much less The Doctor dipping his wick. There was an explanation in the books that Time Lords are woven from genetic looms, or something, so that The Doctor could remain... I don't know. Pure? Virginal? Whatever.

Thankfully Davies and Moffat have very sensibly crushed that nonsense into a fine powder over the past six or so years.

biggytitbo

I think he's just implying the Doctor was a paedophile.

Cerys

Last night I dreamed a DW story in which the Doctor was shrunk down to about two inches high.  Everything was going swimmingly until Boris Johnson decided that he was going to play the Doctor, and the rest of the story was lost in my attempts to stamp on him.

That's it.  As you were.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Cerys on February 14, 2011, 05:37:43 PM
Last night I dreamed a DW story in which the Doctor was shrunk down to about two inches high.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_of_Giants

Cerys

1964, eh?  The same year Boris Johnson was born....

papalaz4444244

kidsick5000

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on February 14, 2011, 10:21:30 PM
It's a great story that. I'm surprised the idea hasn't been revisited on TV.

I'm surprised they aren't more tempted to adapt old stories that have either been wiped or were given short shrift back in the day.
I'm sure there are plenty of DW stories that would work better in 50mins than two hours.

Phil_A

Quote from: Mister Six on February 14, 2011, 10:44:46 AM
Yeah. Some of them are terrified by the thought of sex at all, much less The Doctor dipping his wick. There was an explanation in the books that Time Lords are woven from genetic looms, or something, so that The Doctor could remain... I don't know. Pure? Virginal? Whatever.

I thought the point was he was someone else before he was the Doctor, and Susan was his granddaughter from that previous existence(so he must've had a sex life at some point). I dunno, everyone sneers at Lungbarrow now, but I thought it was a pretty neat explanation at the time. Although admittedly I haven't read it since I was fifteen.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Phil_A on February 21, 2011, 09:28:56 AM
I thought the point was he was someone else before he was the Doctor

The Medical Student? It's the first I've heard of this, I always took it for granted that Hartnell was the first Doctor, and the child we see in flashback is the boy Hartnell, who grew up to become a father, then in time a grandfather, and that's where the TV show starts.

Phil_A

Quote from: Jemble Fred on February 21, 2011, 09:34:23 AM
The Medical Student? It's the first I've heard of this, I always took it for granted that Hartnell was the first Doctor, and the child we see in flashback is the boy Hartnell, who grew up to become a father, then in time a grandfather, and that's where the TV show starts.

Well, basically, the idea(according the 80's scriptwriters at least) was before the Doctor was the Doctor, he was actually some mysterious ancient Gallifreyan dude hanging around with Rassilon and Omega(basically the Time Lord "gods"). This is when Gallifreyans can reproduce normally so he has a family, including a granddaughter. Some stuff happens and he ends up killing himself and resequencing his DNA into the the Time Lord genepool, subsequently getting reborn centuries later as The Hartnell Doctor. Steals Tardis, grabs Susan, runs away, etc.

In any case, none of this stuff is relevant to the current series, so it can be safely ignored. It was only ever in a fairly obscure novel which only a handful of people ever read anyway.

Mister Six

It strikes me as being a terrible idea anyway. The Doctor as some kind of 'god' who became a Time Lord is nowhere near as fun or charming as a slacker[nb]It's canon that The Doctor is a genius but never really paid attention in the Time Lord academy, right? I always liked that.[/nb] who got sick of following the rules, nicked a time machine and not only became a better man but an outright hero.

Never understood Cartmell's idea. Add to the mystery of The Doctor by explaining his past? What?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Mister Six on February 21, 2011, 11:49:50 AM
[nb]It's canon that The Doctor is a genius but never really paid attention in the Time Lord academy, right? I always liked that.[/nb]

That's the lore, yes. And I agree, it's a much more satisfying, charming idea.