Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:39:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 6

Started by biggytitbo, January 20, 2011, 04:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on January 03, 2012, 02:07:14 PM
Does anyone have a memory hole or some other website that's accumulating the actual evidence for this stuff, or is it a bit Chinese whispers at the minute?

Yes please, the answer to this.

biggytitbo

No evidence at all that that's not true, I hope it is.

Just the whispers from some people with a good track records have said those 14 episodes Moffat and Smith mentioned, plus an anniversary special will be spread out from end of 2012 to 2014, with series 8 starting sometime in 2014 (probably autumn?) with a new  Doctor.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 03, 2012, 04:46:41 PM
some people with a good track records

Who are they please, and where do they reveal this information?  Also, could you please remind me of some things that they revealed in the past which turned out to be correct?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Replies From View on January 03, 2012, 04:54:18 PM
Who are they please, and where do they reveal this information?  Also, could you please remind me of some things that they revealed in the past which turned out to be correct?

Racking my brains now...I think it was Mr F on Gallifrey base. He'd known some stuff about series 6 before which turned out to be right, and he knew the christmas special was Narnia themed before they'd started filming I think. He's certainly got some insider info, although that doesn't mean he's correct about this of course.

What he was saying did chime with the private eye piece though...

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 03, 2012, 04:58:19 PM
What he was saying did chime with the private eye piece though...

In the sense that he could have just taken it from the Private Eye piece?  Do the Private Eye have insider info?

olliebean

What it was, was that Matt Smith confirmed a while back that he was going to be filming another full series (series 7), a Christmas episode (Christmas 2012), and a one-off Anniversary Special (assumed to be in November 2013). Which seems to imply that the Anniversary Special, rather than series 8, will be the first we'll see of Doctor Who in 2013. But it could also mean that Matt Smith is in it up to the end of Christmas 2012, and then regenerates into Doctor 12, but will also be making a one-off appearance in the Anniversary Special as part of series 8, in a two (or more) Doctors deal (or some sort of extensive flashback).

Which is all conjecture, of course, and I don't expect a multi-Doctor episode will be forthcoming. But Matt Smith definitely did mention a "one-off Anniversary Special," which seems to have been at the root of all the speculation about no-series-8-until-2014.

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on January 03, 2012, 11:59:58 PM
What it was, was that Matt Smith confirmed a while back that he was going to be filming another full series (series 7), a Christmas episode (Christmas 2012), and a one-off Anniversary Special (assumed to be in November 2013). Which seems to imply that the Anniversary Special, rather than series 8, will be the first we'll see of Doctor Who in 2013. But it could also mean that Matt Smith is in it up to the end of Christmas 2012, and then regenerates into Doctor 12, but will also be making a one-off appearance in the Anniversary Special as part of series 8, in a two (or more) Doctors deal (or some sort of extensive flashback).

Which is all conjecture, of course, and I don't expect a multi-Doctor episode will be forthcoming. But Matt Smith definitely did mention a "one-off Anniversary Special," which seems to have been at the root of all the speculation about no-series-8-until-2014.

I didn't read that confirmation from Smith, or maybe I did but thought it meant "I will be filming the following Doctor Who things in 2012" or something.  I would take "one-off Anniversary Special" to mean that a 50th anniversary won't be happening more than once, rather than signifying the Doctor will return briefly to the role one more time.  You could be right though.

As far as I know series 7 will definitely be 13 episodes, but only half of these will be broadcast in 2012.  So whatever happens, the first we'll see of Doctor Who in 2013 will be the second half of series 7 - not the special or series 8.

Mister Six

Quote from: The Roofdog on January 03, 2012, 03:45:24 PMI'm sure I read that the anniversary special had been green-lit as part of the S7 filming block, but I can't find a single reference to it now (and yes the anniversary would be the 23rd so the next episode would be the 30th if S8 were to follow on)

But being in the same filming block doesn't necessarily mean that the story will follow on from the end of S7 or link to the start of S8. It just means that they're using S7 budget and crew to make the thing.

Also, has there been any official confirmation that it would screen on Sept 23? Again, there's every possibility it would screen earlier than that date (although it might seem like a bit of a missed opportunity).

When's S7 supposed to kick off again?

Mister Six

Quote from: Replies From View on January 04, 2012, 01:13:45 AMAs far as I know series 7 will definitely be 13 episodes, but only half of these will be broadcast in 2012.  So whatever happens, the first we'll see of Doctor Who in 2013 will be the second half of series 7 - not the special or series 8.

My guess is pretty much what I said on the other page:

S7 runs from autumn 2012-early 2013, with Xmas special partway through
S8 starts on Nov 28 2013 with the anniversary special (probs new Doctor, which would be a massive shame), continues to 2014
S9 back to the schedule used for S7.

I don't think having the Xmas special as the fifth episode of S8 is going to be too much of a headache - no reason you can't put a standalone Christmassy story that early on in the season.

The Roofdog

If that's the schedule maybe the Anniversary Special will be a 'The Eight Doctors'-type deal with a post-regeneration traumatised 12th Doctor having to go back to find previous incarnations to work out who the hell he is.

Replies From View

Biggy has more or less cleared up what's speculation and where the rumours have come from.  I have impressions and hopes too, but I can't see why some permutations of scheduling should be more or less likely than others.  We're shifting to dark nights, but there's as much chance that Moffat will decide to do the 50th anniversary special in the middle of July for a totally isolated "Summer blockbuster" feel so it won't bash into the beginning of series 8.

kidsick5000

Has there been anything to suggest Smith is off after series 7?

biggytitbo

Quote from: kidsick5000 on January 04, 2012, 05:26:22 PM
Has there been anything to suggest Smith is off after series 7?
His remarks in an interview that he's going back to do Who for a year then he's going to have a crack at Hollywood?

Small Man Big Horse

QuoteHis remarks in an interview that he's going back to do Who for a year then he's going to have a crack at Hollywood?

Yeah, in an interview on VH1 he said: ""I've got another year of Doctor Who, but then I'm certainly going to come and give it a shot, come and hang out in LA." After that he denied he had any specific plans for leaving though, so it's all a bit up in the air.

Replies From View

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 04, 2012, 05:54:02 PM
Yeah, in an interview on VH1 he said: ""I've got another year of Doctor Who, but then I'm certainly going to come and give it a shot, come and hang out in LA." After that he denied he had any specific plans for leaving though, so it's all a bit up in the air.

Thanks for the exact quote.  I don't know how many ways there are of reading that.  It does seem like he accidentally let slip he was going after the third year, which would be a shame.  However he could have just meant that he has a heavy recording block for the next series and then a bit of a break before continuing.  Kind of.  /optimism

It could alternatively mean that his contract is due to last only until the end of the third year, and that he'll be drawn either to more Who, depending on fees, or to work elsewhere if he feels like it.  I trust him that he has no specific plans for leaving if that's what he said.  I do believe that he loves the part, but I think he'll push for more money if it's a case of renewing his contract.

biggytitbo

He could come and do something in Hollywood in the 3-4 months they get off between filming I suppose...

Mister Six

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 04, 2012, 07:07:10 PM
He could come and do something in Hollywood in the 3-4 months they get off between filming I suppose...

I think that's the most positive interpretation: that at the time of the interview, he was in - or about to start - a heavy-duty period of filming Doctor Who that would preclude him from doing any Hollywood stuff, but that he was going to head out to LA during the next break.

At least, that's the slim hope I'm holding on to, because Matt Smith is by far my favourite Doctor and I'd hate for him to go after just three years.

Also, it occurred to me last night that having the 50th anniversary episode directly precede a slightly delayed season eight, which some people wrote off as being nonsense, actually makes sense. The anniversary will get a shit-ton of press coverage and hype, and probably draw in loads of viewers (especially if there's a spot of RTD-style stunt casting - return of Tennant maybe? I'm sure he'd be up for it) so it makes sense to have the first episode of season eight follow on the next week, in order to keep the momentum going. Especially if it introduces the twelfth Doctor.

The Roofdog

Sounds good, although the BBC hardly have a great track record for "keeping the momentum going"...

Mister Six

Aye, but I doubt they'd drop it to just one episode in an entire year. Especially if it's a transition episode (Tennant's leaving ep was followed by Smith a few months later...).

kidsick5000

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 04, 2012, 05:28:43 PM
His remarks in an interview that he's going back to do Who for a year then he's going to have a crack at Hollywood?
Aw, crap. To my mind Tennant only really did three series, and still feel a bit cheated of a proper fourth season.  It could be because of the bigger arc, or that we've yet to see more sides to Doc11 beyond giddy genius but I feel we really haven't had enough Smith yet and still won't by end of season7.
That said, I'm on the creatives side and wouldn't blame SM or MS to say "screw the lot of you" for the way the BBCs handling things

biggytitbo

In fairness to the BBC, it seems to be more team Who and Upper Boat/Moffat that are responsible for the behind the scenes chaos and scheduling problems.

According the that private eye article, the BBC aren't happy at all that Moffat and co are unable to deliver enough episodes, especially with Who becoming so globally huge over the last few years.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 05, 2012, 04:57:15 PM
According the that private eye article, the BBC aren't happy at all that Moffat and co are unable to deliver enough episodes, especially with Who becoming so globally huge over the last few years.

I really did read the Private Eye article as a load of old bollocks at the time, because I saw no evidence that Moffat was delivering too few episodes.  Perhaps I should look at it again if you're sure it knows what's going on.

HappyTree

Finally got around to watching the Christmas episode. I liked the atmosphere, the house, the snowy world, the trees and their baubles, the wood king and queen, the silly baddies and the potential for some interesting story about their arrival being foretold.

I disliked the children who didn't do anything much, the predictability of the smaller kid being geeky and speccy, the smug "I know" from the Doctor about how cool and down with the kids he was, the "women are strong and men are weak" pandering, the Doctor's inexplicable and unprecedented ability to create a time and space vortex door in a box just for a Christmas present. I also found the pilot coming back to life a bit too much, I think they should have left that unresolved.

I was also a little disappointed that I thought I had figured out something really cool which turned out not to be true. I assumed the Doctor had parked the Tardis right behind the front door of the mansion so that when they thought they were going into the building they were really entering the Tardis. I was so pleased with myself for that one, then saw it wasn't the case. Botheration! Now that would be a good idea.

It was ok I suppose. The general feeling of the episode saved it from being unwatchable. I do hope that Gatiss doesn't take over when Moffatt goes. All we'd get is Russell Bloody Tovey every week being crap with his hammy acting and glaikit expression.