Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:25:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your gaming backlog

Started by madhair60, January 22, 2011, 11:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

I decided today to make a chart of my "PC games I need to finish".  It turned out like this:

American McGee's Alice
Amnesia: the Dark Descent
An Untitled Story
Back to the Future Ep 1
Baldur's Gate II
Bionic Commando ReArmed
Blade Kitten
Blood II - The Chosen
Breakquest
Broken Sword 1 and 2
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Call of Cthulu - Dark Corners of the Earth
Chronicles of Riddick - Escape from Butcher Bay
Chzo Mythos
Company of Heroes
Condemned
Daikatana
Dark Void
Dark Void Zero
Dawn of War
Dead Rising 2
Deathspank
Defense Grid
Deus Ex
Deus Ex Invisible War
Doctor Who - the Adventure Games
DooM 3 & Expansion
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
FarCry
Frontlines: Fuel of War
Gears of War
Iji
Just Cause 2
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Lomax
Marathon series
Max Payne 2
MDK
Medal of Honour: Allied Assault & Expansions
Neverwinter Nights
Noitu Love 2
Painkiller
Planescape: Torment
Puzzle Agent
Resident Evil 5
Revenge of the Titans
Rise of the Triad
Rogue Trooper
RunMan: Race Around the World
Sam and Max Hit the Road
Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People
Stubbs the Zombie
Serious Sam HD
Shogo - Mobile Armor Division
Split/Second
Stranglehold
Street Fighter IV
Supreme Commander
Tales of Monkey Island
Unreal
X Blades

Steam:

Aquaria
Braid
Darksiders
Devil May Cry 4
F.E.A.R & Expansions
F.E.A.R 2: Project Origin
Grand Theft Auto 4
Half-Life & Expansions
Machinarium
Mass Effect
Mirror's Edge
Monkey Island 1 and 2 Special Editions

As you can see, this is ridiculous.  The thrill of PC gaming being relatively inexpensive has resulted in my HD being filled with games that I've never, or have barely played.  I'd like to just strike some of these games from the list, but they're probably all at least a bit good.  Except Frontlines, that seems pony.

How's your backlog?  Do you manage to keep on top of it?

Spiteface

I typically have one or two games on the go at any one time, in terms of games I try to finish.  I try not to buy more until I've finished them (I don't bother with "trophies" or "Achievements" though, just getting the main story mode cleared is good for me), unless something comes along that I really want and/or have been waiting for.

To give an example, I'm currently playing Dead Rising 2[nb]Weirdly, I have chosen to abandon story mode for a bit, and restarted, levelled up somewhat, and deliberately ignored the story missions, instead choosing to just kill Zombies/rescue people over the course of the 3-day timespan of the game.  I may just Start the story from scratch anyway after that levelled up even more, even though I'm pretty near the end of the story as it is[/nb].  Then Namco's Splatterhouse remake[nb]My current avatar is the Terror Mask, as it appears in Splatterhouse 3, trivia fans[/nb] came along and I was looking forward to that so much, I put DR2 to one side, while I played Splatterhouse.  I finished that, then went back to DR2, allowing for occasional forays into Tekken 6 and Super Street Fighter IV to indulge the virtual pugilist in me.

Once I'm done with Dead Rising 2, I will look for something else to play, although I never did finish Alien vs Predator's "Marine" story...

ThickAndCreamy

I'm on the second but last stage for Super Meat Boy, which using my keyboard is still extremely frustrating[nb]Still can't be bothered to get a controller.[/nb] but that's the only game I've really backlogged.

Unlike books, films or music I rarely feel the need to complete games. I often give up half way through if it's dull, enjoyable or just not a worthwhile use of my time. Therefore, my favourite, and most played games are generally just online team shooters like Team Fortress where you never need to unlock, backlog or complete which I can storm through with the sound on mute listening to music.

Phil_A

I've completely given up trying to keep track of all the games I own but have yet to play, as that way lies madness. I have an entire suitcase under my bed full of PS2, Xbox and Gamecube games I still haven't got round to playing yet. Yeah, I said Gamecube. That far behind.

Neomod

Basically every 360 game I own, oh and Ocarina of Time on the Nintendo 64.

Am currently about half way through The Saboteur and I've just not bothered to carry on with it. I've been enjoying it when loading it up but I'm just a bit bored of blowing up the same Nazi propaganda towers over and over again and have been choosing to go to Left 4 Dead 2 if I want to do some gaming.

This is a problem, as I bought Assassin's Creed 2, Mafia 2, GTA: Episodes From Liberty City & STALKER: Call of Priypat in the Steam sales over Christmas and have yet to fire up any of them because I don't want to start them before finishing The Saboteur, don't want all the stories blending together.

I have a shitload of Dreamcast, Gamecube and original Xbox games I need to finish (or in many cases, actually start). waste of chops: proudly buying doomed consoles since 2001.

I've also got a whole stack of 360 games to play through and, thanks to the sales, a ridiculous number of games on Steam (143 at last count with lots of them unplayed and most of them uncompleted). I ought to play games more really, but I find it too tempting to just dick about on the computer all evening with a film or TV programme on one side of the monitor and Firefox on the other.

Big Jack McBastard

Hmm lets see,

PC
Crysis and it's expansions (my comp is not currently able to run it but in a couple of weeks it should be)
Civ 5 - I know it's something you can't really 'finish' as such but I've yet to play it.
Myst IV - About a third of the way in.
Myst V - untouched
The Sims 3 - untouched.

I'm just starting to get back into PC gaming now I'm newly 'putered though I'm lacking a quite-to-very good graphics card so I'm a bit hampered, but not nearly as much as I was pre-crimbo.

Xbox
Afro Samurai - Barely played it
Bayonetta - Hit a bit of a wall, but I'm sure I can get past it, it's just summoning the will to do so.
Brutal Legend - Not sure what stopped me last time.
CODBO - Only played a couple of levels.
Eternal Sonata - finished it but I'm not sure I'll ever get everything I want done on it)
Final Fantasy XIII
Vanquish - nearly there

Hard to remember what I've actually got for the Xbox anymore as the turnover of trading in and getting new stuff has been ridiculous lately, though admittedly slowing now as I've had 170 odd games for it so pretty much everything I'm after now is new/not released.

AsparagusTrevor

I think Steam is mainly to blame for mine, the bloody sales I've spent so much on. I do have quite limited gaming time too, which doesn't help.

These are only the ones I currently have installed, there are loads of others too:

Alien vs Predator, 2010 game. Finished Predator and Alien campaigns but not the Marine's.
Bioshock 2 - I've played the first game through about 3 times, but I dunno why I just fell out of interest with the sequel. I'm sure I'll pick it back up eventually.
Borderlands - Only played for about an hour.
Call of Duty Black Ops - currently playing this although I'm stuck on a boring helicopter bit.
Dead Rising 2 - Very stuck on a boss so I now just play around and cause havoc rather than follow the story. Lots of crashing too, which puts me off progressing with it's terrible save system.
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay - Didn't really click with me for some reason.
Devil May Cry 4 - Haven't even started it, just bought it for cheap in a sale.
DiRT 2 - I'm a bit crap at this but I'm getting there. The non-rally stages bore me though.
Ghostbusters - Haven't got past Stay-Puft level, got slightly stuck then lost interest.
GTA IV - I just got tired of this, the missions bored me. Still fun to just run around and cause chaos though.
Mirror's Edge - Just kinda drifted out of interest with it for some reason.
Red Faction Guerilla - Another game where I preferred just causing havoc rather than following the missions.
Saints Row 2 - Bought cheap in a sale again, haven't started it.
Serious Sam HD - Played through the originals back in the day, only had quick blasts on the remakes.
Blur - Bought in a Steam sale, but just seems to crash all the time.
Burnout Paradise - Bought recently, only had a quick blast, seems fun enough.
Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light - Bought cheap, haven't played yet.
STALKER - Shadow of Chernobyl - Didn't really click with me , maybe I wasn't in the right mood.
FEAR 2 - Bought recently, only had a few quick games.
Bully - Bought cheap, haven't played yet.
Resident Evil 5 - Was quite far in but my savegame became corrupt. Restarted it recently and same thing happened, so I gave up for the forseeable future.

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on January 23, 2011, 04:11:30 PM
Dead Rising 2 - Very stuck on a boss so I now just play around and cause havoc rather than follow the story. Lots of crashing too, which puts me off progressing with it's terrible save system.

This is on Steam presumably? You want do go co-op some time and take him down together? What's your Steam account?

Got very into DR2 after the sale, started up a second playthrough almost immediately and have been co-oping as much as possible but few people seem into it.

AsparagusTrevor

Unfortunately not Steam, or I'd certainly take you up on that. Steam's usually my preferred platform for older games but I bought DR2 when it first came out and it was much cheaper on Amazon than Steam. The boss I'm stuck on is the twins, total pains in the arse.

Actually, I've just played it now and kicked the shite out of them, strange as I've never even come close before. it was painkillers that helped, and I used the defiler to do the damage.

VegaLA

Hmm... I try not to get too bogged down with Games so I only buy the hot MP titles when they are released.

That said, I am currently on my 2nd playthrough of DR2, in an attempt to level up and hit some areas I missed on the first (and difficult) run.
RDR. Lost interest when DR2 and Reach were released last September, but I need to pick it up but even then I get distracted by....
Undead Nightmare. Want to get through the Campaign mode but get sucked into MP whenever a friend is on playing it.
Reach. Completed, but want to complete it on Legendary for both Co-op and solo.
ODST. Like Reach I want to complete it on Legendary, just got it for my Bro so will jump on it when our schedules collide.
Prince of Persia. Not my first choice but was brought for me by a friend and would like to get it squared away eventually.
Saints Row 2. Again, looking for a dedicated co-op partner and time is as always an issue.
GTA IV. I played this just last night to get the 'Under the Radar' achievement but I know once the hype for 5 hits the Net i'll want to relive this and maybe complete the side missions and perhaps even get 100%.....

That list grew after typing that first sentence. I need to pack in my full time job!

Jim Jarmusch

Prince of Persia, couldn't see any challenge
Assassins Creed, the criticisms made me give up early and move on to something else
Resident Evil 5, so disappointing after Dead Space plus I think I choose the hardest difficulty being an arse
Bionic Commando, can't remember what I thought was wrong with it
Bionic Commando Rearmed, too hard but heard they patched it
BioShock, couldn't be bothered, quit just before entering last chapter
Siren Blood Curse, still sealed after two years
Demon's Soul, beat the first boss and thought that was enough of an achievement
WipEout HD, I don't feel this one counts
MGS4, waited on trophies that never did arrive
Fallout Vegas, plan to start it soon

Before owning a PS3 I must have finished 3 of the 15 Wii games I bought.

Moribunderast

Currently sitting on a pretty big backlog of PS2 games but I try to only have 3 or 4 going at once and only start a new one when I finish something. At the moment I'm working on:

Silent Hill 3 - Just arrived today. Barely started.
Fatal Frame - I can only play this game sparingly as it scares the shit out of me.
Shadow Of The Colossus - As wonderful as this game is, I unfortunately suck at it and have left it alone for a while.
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X - Am stuck on a boss and seemingly don't have enough ammo to defeat him, with no old saves to return to, so I may have to restart which, given how far into the game I was, will probably take me ages to bother with.

Following those I have Syberia 2, Fatal Frame 2, Killer 7, The Thing, Wing Commander IV and In Cold Blood to worry about. And that's without even considering the PC games sitting on my HD waiting for an eventual play.

uglybob1986

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on January 24, 2011, 11:07:15 AM
Assassins Creed, the criticisms made me give up early and move on to something else

BioShock, couldn't be bothered, quit just before entering last chapter

Fallout Vegas, plan to start it soon

1. Try the sequel, it really is a vast improvement
2. You didn't miss much
3. I just finished AC: Brotherhood, now NV is the only thing on my list and it feels weird to only have one game on the go. Can anyone recommend a huge and decent RPG for the 360? (possibly a turn based JRPG, I havn't played one since Skies of Arcadia)

Custard

Assassin's Creed - Up to the last bloke you gotta kill. For some reason i've never bothered going back to it, and i loved that game.

Assassin's Creed II - Got it for christmas 2009. Still not got any further than the brief set-up bit. Will get round to this, though.

Fallout: New Vegas - Bought it full-price, on release day. Played it about 2 weeks on and off, and never put it on again. Dunno why, as i was enjoying it. Sigh.

Ghostbusters - I got this also at christmas 2009, and you know what, its pretty decent. Didn't stop me not playing it anymore about halfway through, mind.

Red Dead Redemption - About three quarters in, stopped playing. Again, I DON'T KNOW WHY. It's gotta be laziness.

Setting myself the challenge of doing em all before i buy anything else. So, 2017 i'll be back down the shops. Lock up yer daughters etc

Shoulders?-Stomach!

El Unicornio, mang

I don't think I've ever finished a game in my life. Mainly because I'm not that good at most games, I get bored usually about half or 2/3 through, and the reward of seeing a lame cutscene at the end isn't rewarding enough. If winning the game meant I got to drive around in a Lamborghini for a week or something, there'd be an incentive for me to finish them.

hpmons

Quote from: madhair60 on January 22, 2011, 11:06:19 PM
I decided today to make a chart of my "PC games I need to finish".  It turned out like this:

Planescape: Torment
You are a terrible terrible person.

I don't even remember all the games I need to finish/haven't started...Something like:

- Arcanum (The beginning feels so boring, it doesn't look nice either...But I'm sure its hiding some goodness)
- Baldur's Gate I (Started it, not sure whether to bother)
- Baldur's Gate II expansion (but I played the main BG2 years ago, so I probably ought to play that again)
- Darklands (I found out there is actually a main story line to it! Would like to check that out)
- Fallout 1
- Fallout 2 without using a walkthrough (its just embarassing that I did use one the first time round, when its such a good game)
- Grim Fandango (Doesn't work on my computer, no matter what unofficial stuff I try)
- Neverwinter Nights (finished Act 1 years ago)
- Oblivion (Being a "Bethesda is evil" person I never really got into this, but probably if I added enough mods I'd have fun with it)
- Prince of Persia 2: The Shadow and the Flame (its annoying that people talk about 1 being awesome, just because its the first one, when 2 is super awesome. Its got screaming heads and everything! Got quite far, but then forgot about it)
- Sanitarium (Why do I keep forgetting about it?! Looks awesome)

Did finally finish Vampire: The Masquerade recently though, which is really awesome, can't believe I left it so long.

vrailaine

I had a huge backlog then realised I don't actually seem to play games to completion much at all ever and stopped playing completely.

...that being said, almost all the Lucas Arts adventure games are on my to do list, keep meaning to set up scummvm on my phone to see how easily they play, could be great.

Other ones that I still intend on bothering to play to completion:
Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Persona 3
Persona 4
Xenogears
Suikoden II (which I still haven't played at all)

I think that might be it, lotsa variety.
The way my interest in gaming cooled off so much the second we got broadband(and with it lotsa music and being able to watch things that weren't on the 4 television stations we receives) implies that it was more of a coping device than something I was actually very interested in, you'd potentially get a lot more life out of a videogame than you would a DVD and music would still leave you doing fuck all yourself.