Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:33:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RED RING OF DEATH!!!

Started by small_world, January 23, 2011, 11:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

small_world

That's it, it's finally happened.
I've had the little (big) white trooper now for over 4 years. Tonight I switched it on, only for it to give me a little red wink.

Anyone have experience with this?
I'm currently trying the 'towel trick'. The 20 minute version.
I'd like suggestions of a more permanent fix, I've heard the towel trick only lasts a few days/weeks. And an audience for when, inevitably, I unwrap it from the towels to find it has burnt out and is totally fucked.

small_world

Well, towel trick didn't work.
So, a new one it is.
I'm going to stick with Microsoft though, I've never been a Playstation.

Can I just buy the arcade360 and use my HD storage thing?

VegaLA

No sure if the new models are designed to allow the old HDDs to fit on them, but thats no problem as you can DL all the content you wnat to keep via the Account Manager.

Shiny new 360. Nice.

small_world

What about my old save games? My many hours of walking the wasteland in Fallout3 and NV?

uglybob1986

You should be able to transfer data from your old hd using the hard drive transfer cable. One end attaches to your old hard drive, the other goes in the usb.
Hope this helps!

Rev

You can get it replaced for nowt, you know.  The red ring guarantee is only supposed to last for three years after purchase, but they don't ask when you bought it, so that limitation doesn't matter.  Go throught the process on on the Xbox website, print out the UPS sticker, and you'll have a new or reconditioned one in a week.

mobias

Can't you just get it fixed? My PS3 suffered the red light of death, which is the PS3's equivalent, and it was 50 quid to get it fixed. Most cities have electrical repair shops that will fix a number of console related problems.   

MojoJojo

Quote from: Rev on January 24, 2011, 01:41:51 AM
You can get it replaced for nowt, you know.  The red ring guarantee is only supposed to last for three years after purchase, but they don't ask when you bought it, so that limitation doesn't matter.  Go throught the process on on the Xbox website, print out the UPS sticker, and you'll have a new or reconditioned one in a week.

Having just gone through the online process, they work out when it was sold from the serial number. After putting in my serial number it came up with some message along the lines of "Warranty expires for this type of problem July 2011". They seem to be generous with it, since I actually bought it in April, presumably it's something like "date shipped to retailer+6 months"
I got the E74 error a couple of months ago, but am only just getting round to getting it fixed/replaced (anyone know if they fix or replace them?).

small_world

Shit... Firstly;
@ Mojo, when did you buy your red-ringed Xbox? Mine was January 07, I'm guessing that'd be way too far down the line for a replacement?

And I've just went and bought a new one, the 250GB in Black, and a transfer cable... For £204 came with fable too... I'm alright about it, but it was very sudden. I'm currently transferring my stuff from my old one to this one.
I will try out the replacement thing, but I'm not holding my breath. It'd be nice to have two.. Or the ability to sell a working one.

Big Jack McBastard

I sent one back 3 times to get fixed, but I got increasingly diminished returns in terms of how long it would live after each go, the gap between the first and second was a year and a half, between second and third it was 8 months and it died it's final death about 4 months after that.

By the sounds of it your warranty will be knackered by now, they'd most likely end up asking for cash to sort it.

MojoJojo

Quote from: small_world on January 24, 2011, 05:05:17 PM
Shit... Firstly;
@ Mojo, when did you buy your red-ringed Xbox? Mine was January 07, I'm guessing that'd be way too far down the line for a replacement?

My email from amazon is dated 08/04/2008... like I said, I think the xbox site said i was covered for RROD until June-July time.. just checked and my standard warranty expired June 8th, 2009, so I assume the 3year RROD death one in the same but two years later. So I think you're out of luck - but you could always try it, you only need to put you're xbox serial number onto the site to register it and it will tell you then.