Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:39:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Withnail and I

Started by Nelson Swillie, January 25, 2011, 04:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nelson Swillie

I'm pretty confident in saying that people who like this only do so because they want the kudos of being able to say "I really liked it, you just don't understand it". Yeah, yeah. Don't piss on my boots and tell me it's raining. Don't shit in my DVD player and tell me it's art.

"I'm sure there are plenty of people here that might echo your dislike of Withnail and I" ... I'd love to be proved wrong on that.

chocky909

I doubt they'd be able to dislike it as ridiculously as you. And you've probably scared them off, I mean, who in their right mind would want to side with someone as unreasonable and reactionary as you?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You are so full of shit it's overflowing.

Nelson Swillie

Quote from: chocky909 on January 25, 2011, 06:01:05 PM
I doubt they'd be able to dislike it as ridiculously as you. And you've probably scared them off, I mean who in their right mind would want to side with someone as unreasonable and reactionary as you?

So I'm reactionary because I don't like one of your favourite films? Fucking hell, I've heard it all now.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You do that at least twice a week you donkey.

ziggy starbucks

which one of you cunts is slagging off MEET DAVE?

I'll punch you right on the noggin

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Goldentony on January 25, 2011, 05:50:18 PM
Swillie's right, you cannot be trusted!! you cunts fucking tore MEET DAVE to shreds when it came out, when any well minded comedy fan would have fucking LOVED it if they had half a brain. I suggest you arseholes give MEET DAVEanother go, and if you still hate it then you're obviously beyond help.

MEET DAVE was the least favourite film on this board. I remember the thread lasted for years and contained 850 seperate members who felt obliged to criticize and warn people about how awful a film it was.

Indeed, Charlie Brooker and Noel Fielding signed up for that specific reason. Unfortunately they don't post much anymore, only when MEET DAVE comes up.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Nelson Swillie on January 25, 2011, 06:02:38 PM
So I'm reactionary because I don't like one of your favourite films? Fucking hell, I've heard it all now.

Why does it matter to you so much if other people enjoy a film you dislike?

Goldentony

Quote from: ziggy starbucks on January 25, 2011, 06:03:39 PM
which one of you cunts is slagging off MEET DAVE?

I'll punch you right on the noggin

Can you fucking believe it! these lentil scoffing twats have gone a step too far this time!

jutl

Quote from: Nelson Swillie on January 25, 2011, 05:58:07 PM"I'm sure there are plenty of people here that might echo your dislike of Withnail and I" ... I'd love to be proved wrong on that.

Well I have said it's massively overrated, and I suspect you'd enjoy it at least a little more if you didn't see it as a symbol of something you clearly detest. In fact I know what you mean about it being a student perennial, but stripped of that context it's an enjoyable enough film in the British tradition of deliberate dinge, akin to something like Jabberwocky in that it revels in its grimy setting and is not terribly funny, despite being shaped like a comedy. The people who post here only have the fact that they post here in common - and you have that characteristic too. 

Famous Mortimer

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on January 25, 2011, 06:05:04 PM
Why does it matter to you so much if other people enjoy a film you dislike?

Because hate is his fuel and we aren't feeding him.

I don't confess to be an expert but it's so fucking obvious it's outside my front door like a fucking garbage truck with a mad irish bastard at wheel.

Goldentony

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 25, 2011, 06:04:30 PM
MEET DAVE was the least favourite film on this board. I remember the thread lasted for years and contained 850 seperate members who felt obliged to criticize and warn people about how awful a film it was.

Indeed, Charlie Brooker and Noel Fielding signed up for that specific reason. Unfortunately they don't post much anymore, only when MEET DAVE comes up.

Fuck those two, and the lot of you - MEET DAVE is a masterpiece of cinema and none of your posturing to look cool is going to make any difference with any of that!!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hey hey, careful who you're painting as a MEET DAVE hater. I was merely informing Nelson of the fact MEET DAVE was en masse universally loathed on here. I remember the people who liked The Mighty Boosh were especially scathing.

Lord Mandrake

I get the feeling mr swillie hasn't even seen withnail, his main criticism being that it's aimed at students and somehow glorifies squalour and drug abuse. No mention of script, performances or plot..

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The desperation to insist that people only like it to be cool is easily the most pigshitted annoying and intellectually bankrupted and cowardly thing anyone's posted on this folder for what seems like a hundred years, or ever.

Famous Mortimer

I am prepared to bomb the entire town of anyone who professes hate for MEET DAVE

mycroft

Quote from: Nelson Swillie on January 25, 2011, 05:14:28 PM
Great, knowing you lot of permanently po-faced self-loathing lentil-eating Guardian readers love it reassures me that my tastes are as finely tuned as ever.

Oi! I love Withnail and I, and I'm an arrogant Right-wing bastard, thank you very much. And The Who. And I went to see 'Goodies Still Rule OK' at the Edinburgh Fringe a few years back.

Nelson Swillie

I can imagine all too easily filth like Kate Moss, Noel Fielding, Amy Winehouse, Sadie Frost and the rest of Britain's gruesome celebrity circle boringly quoting Withnail and I at each other. It just gets worse. How is it possible for one film to sum up everything I fucking hate?

Actually it's been done before...

I actually hate this more than Withnail and I. Un-fucking-watchable. If there's one person in the world who likes this shit, that's one too many.

I've never seen Meet Dave but at least it has Judah Friedlander in it, and he's great.

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on January 25, 2011, 06:11:09 PM
I get the feeling mr swillie hasn't even seen withnail, his main criticism being that it's aimed at students and somehow glorifies squalour and drug abuse. No mention of script, performances or plot..

WRONG. I specifically sat up on Saturday night to watch it on Ch4, having had it recommended to me by people whose opinions I usually respect. Usually with cult films I'm able to see exactly why they have such a reputation, but by the time the end credits rolled I was still none the wiser. I'm sure this pish was a big influence on Bottom.

Johnny Townmouse

What time do the internet cafes close in Northampton these days?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

He hasn't seen MEET DAVE?

Lads.

LADS

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 25, 2011, 06:14:49 PM
I am prepared to bomb the entire town of anyone who professes hate for MEET DAVE

WHERE WERE YOU

Nelson Swillie

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on January 25, 2011, 06:17:59 PM

You're stuck with me for another twenty minutes, then I go home to watch something more entertaining than Withnail and I. Like mildew.

Another beef with this film - it's pretty badly made. Or was it an 'artistic decision' to record the sound through a Tandy microphone wrapped in a wet duffel coat?

jutl

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on January 25, 2011, 06:17:59 PM

Well now you're just revelling in squalor.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Nelson Swillie on January 25, 2011, 06:19:54 PM
You're stuck with me for another twenty minutes, then I go home to watch something more entertaining than Withnail and I. Like mildew.

tomandjerryonline.com/sounds/wakeup!.wav

QuoteAnother beef with this film - it's pretty badly made. Or was it an 'artistic decision' to record the sound through a Tandy microphone wrapped in a wet duffel coat?

Yeah, its low budget. Like that dated comedy gash you love so much. It was the first time Robinson had directed and he had no idea what he was doing. He did a fucking great job.

And by the way, not many proper wanker student hipsters would say they like Withnail - way too popularist, quotable and loved by many 'mainstream' twats (yep, I concede that). Get with the programme Grandad.

mycroft

Quote from: Nelson Swillie on January 25, 2011, 06:19:54 PM

LOL SQUALOR!!

Nelson Swillie

Withnail and I lovers look away now, here's what I call GENUINE classic two-hander comedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ERAV57bqaU

How the FUCK can ANYONE claim Withnail and I is funny when a film like this is in circulation? "Funny" isn't subjective, surely?

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on January 25, 2011, 06:23:46 PM
Yeah, its low budget.

That explains why it appeared to have been filmed through a pair of shitty Y-fronts.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Mistakes -

-Thinking something being funny can render something else unfunny
-Thinking funny isn't subjective
-Not having seen MEET DAVE

Nelson Swillie

Incidentally, the Producers was Mel Brooks' first film and it's amazing. Bruce Robinson's "I didn't know what I was doing" excuse seems like an admission of failure to me.