Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:27:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Withnail and I

Started by Nelson Swillie, January 25, 2011, 04:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy starbucks

I hope you MEET DAVE haters get arsenic in your tofu

I have never been more angry than I am right now

mycroft

Quote from: Nelson Swillie on January 25, 2011, 06:26:14 PM
That explains why it appeared to have been filmed through a pair of shitty Y-fronts.

LOL SQUALOR!!

Nelson Swillie

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Nelson Swillie on January 25, 2011, 06:29:20 PM
Incidentally, the Producers was Mel Brooks' first film and it's amazing. Bruce Robinson's "I didn't know what I was doing" excuse seems like an admission of failure to me.

Point 1. Agreed.
Point 2. It wasn't an excuse you dozy prick.

Nelson Swillie

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Nelson Swillie on January 25, 2011, 06:29:20 PM
Incidentally, the Producers was Mel Brooks' first film and it's amazing. Bruce Robinson's "I didn't know what I was doing" excuse seems like an admission of failure to me.
Apart from he'd already won an Oscar and co-created a hugely popular TV series by the time he got to make the Producers. Don't let dumb shit like facts get in the way though!

Nelson Swillie

So it's facts you want, bucko? Right...

1) The Goodies is amazing, and anyone who dislikes it is a cunt.

2) Withnail and I was a flop on its first release for a reason. It's fucking pish!

El Unicornio, mang

One thing I would like to point out about this film is that to many, it's a grower. I, and many people I know, hated it the first time we saw it, but for whatever reason gave it another chance and found that it got better with each viewing.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Nelson Swillie on January 25, 2011, 06:36:26 PM
So it's facts you want, bucko? Right...

1) The Goodies is amazing, and anyone who dislikes it is a cunt.

2) Withnail and I was a flop on its first release for a reason. It's fucking pish!

Those aren't 'facts'. Although I'm perpetually mind-dazzled at having to explain this to a middle-aged man.

jutl

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on January 25, 2011, 06:36:38 PM
One thing I would like to point out about this film is that to many, it's a grower. I, and many people I know, hated it the first time we saw it, but for whatever reason gave it another chance and found that it got better with each viewing.

I would echo this, but add that it then gets worse again.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

A fact would be:

-MEET DAVE is a film

There.

Nelson Swillie

Who in the name of Stalin's scrotum would give a second chance to a film they hated?
Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 25, 2011, 06:39:49 PM
I'm perpetually mind-dazzled at having to explain this to a middle-aged man.
I'm absolutely convinced that opinions are not subjective or individual. How else would you explain Vic Reeves' career? I don't believe for a minute there were that many people who genuinely found the twat funny. They just wanted to be part of a big private joke.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Apart from you, the sole individual with genuinely held opinions. And people you agree with.

Seriously though, is this guy an older version of Big, where a 13 year old has found himself in charge of a middle-aged man?

Nelson Swillie

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 25, 2011, 06:43:34 PM
Apart from you, the sole individual with genuinely held opinions. And people you agree with.

Well how the fuck else do you explain things that are completely baffling? Aren't there things that make you so outraged and baffled that the only possible explanation is some form of mass idiocy?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It isn't baffling. The concept of individuals having different outlooks and different opinions is one of the basic things puberty is designed to help you appreciate.

mycroft

Quote from: Nelson Swillie on January 25, 2011, 06:36:26 PM

Yeah, and The Producers was the biggest-grossing film of all time, you massive twat.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Nelson Swillie on January 25, 2011, 06:41:49 PM
I'm absolutely convinced that opinions are not subjective or individual.

Oh for fucks sake tommy boy, on some level of course you are correct. Opinions are subjective but only within socially learned boundaries. Yes, other issues come into play, but the idea that The Goodies is plainly and objectively "funny" is bullshit, and you know it. It is as subjectively funny as Withnail, I just happen to think that one is funny and the other is unfunny Oxbridge wank that now looks like late-70s children's TV.

Famous Mortimer

I'm absolutely convinced that opinions are not subjective or individual.
But you insist on joining or starting discussion threads why?

El Unicornio, mang

Who in the name of Stalin's scrotum would give a second chance to a film they hated?

Because some things need to be experienced more than once before they become enjoyable. A lot of people raved about this film so I stuck with it and was glad I did. Conversely, there are things I have loved the first time, then over time hated.

Nelson Swillie

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on January 25, 2011, 06:46:30 PM
unfunny Oxbridge wank that now looks like late-70s children's TV.

It looked like children's television even at the time. Hence John Cleese's famous guest appearance and cry of "Kid's programme!".

And what does Withnail and I look like now? The same as it did in 1986. Shite.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 25, 2011, 06:48:35 PM
But you insist on joining or starting discussion threads why?

Well, people have the choice. Agree with me, or be wrong.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You see the recurring theme here, the inability to understand the behaviour of anyone except himself and people he either admires or agrees with.

This is what 12 year olds are.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Except most 12 year olds grow up whereas we're stuck with this forever because his brain's missing important pieces.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Nelson Swillie on January 25, 2011, 06:51:18 PM
It looked like children's television even at the time. Hence John Cleese's famous guest appearance and cry of "Kid's programme!".

I know, I was there. It's awfully unfunny. I turned it on over xmas and it was how I remembered it. A long, drawn-out skit involving them manning a lighthouse. I managed about 5mins and had to turn over.

QuoteAnd what does Withnail and I look like now? The same as it did in 1986. Shite.

Yep, it looks the same as it did in 1986. Correct.

Danger Man

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 25, 2011, 06:14:49 PM
I am prepared to bomb the entire town of anyone who professes hate for MEET DAVE

I hate MEET DAVE and I live in Leeds.

On you go...

Oddly enough a mate and I were talking about Withnail only yesterday - about how nobody goes on about it anymore, and it seems rather forgotten, certainly compared with when I was at university in the early nineties, when you couldn't go thirty seconds without someone saying "the sky is beginning to bruise."

Hmm. I do think it's a good film, but I do think it's overrated. I also think I've been put off it a bit by fifteen years of student wankers (all of who absolutely misunderstood
the film) quoting it ad nauseum. This is, of course, unfair - it's not the film's fault it has a lot of wankers for fans.

Actually we could do a thread about this - "Films ruined by their fans."

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Danger Man on January 25, 2011, 07:00:16 PM
I hate MEET DAVE and I live in Leeds.

On you go...
THAT IS A CITY

I SPECIFICALLY SAID TOWN

YOU ARE STUPID LIKE ALL WHO DISLIKE MEET DAVE

Danger Man

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 25, 2011, 06:53:16 PM
Except most 12 year olds grow up whereas we're stuck with this forever because his brain's missing important pieces.

He's just trolling for a few quotes that he can run back to DSMO with.

It's a bog-standard 'mining operation'.

ziggy starbucks

Domodedovo airport was the centre for an awful lot of MEET DAVE criticism.....

Danger Man

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 25, 2011, 07:03:49 PM
THAT IS A CITY

IT THINKS IT'S A CITY BUT IT ISN'T, IT'S.....TOTAL BUM

I've met Ralph "Danny" Brown by the way. He's a nice bloke - plays in a Beach Boys tribute band down here.