Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:22:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Next Generation of Consoles

Started by mobias, January 25, 2011, 09:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subtle Mocking

They're all still bloody sequels.

Viero_Berlotti

Yeah, it's difficult to see where anything new is going to come from sometimes. It was the same for me with the PS3 and the RPG genre in particular felt stale, but then Demon's/Dark Souls came out of nowhere and got me interested again.

It feels to me that there is still a lot of life left in the PS3, can't see myself getting a PS4 any time soon as I will always have something else I'd rather blow that much cash on.

Thursday

Yeah I think the problem with complaining about that is you're not really going to know what the exciting new games are going to be. Demon's/Dark Souls, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Assassin Creed, Red Dead Redemption were all new franchises (Red Dead Revolver doesn't count) this generation. But I wasn't  excitedly looking forward to them this time in the last cycle. I do remember everyone complaining about all the sequels though.

Mister Six

Stucky my head into a game story today and had my first go on the Xbox One, PS4 and NVidia Shield. Thoughts:

XBOX ONE: The redesigned controllers now require me to dislocate my fingers to hit the left and right buttons. DUMB.

PS4: Knack is a launch title? Cuh, it's basically another Crash Bandicoot-type restricted, piecemeal platformer that could easily have been on the last gen.

NVIDIA SHIELD: What this world needs is an unergonomically designed handheld console with a generic covershooter as one of its big launch titles.

In summary: the new gen is shit and all tech companies everywhere deserve to go bust.

BeardFaceMan

Ended up getting the Titanfall Xbox One bundle the other day, couldn't help myself. Agree about the controller, the thumbsticks are a bit small and I keep missing the shoulder buttons, I really have to stretch my fingers and it hurts my hands. Really does feel they redesigned it just because they could, not because they had to or needed to.

Titanfall is a quite good game if you like that that kind of thing, which I do, but it really is just COD multiplayer with robots. I'm far more excited about Peggle 2. I think this means I'm officially getting old. I had a look through the One games available and I'm not terribly impressed, probably only 3 or 4 games I'd actually pay money for. It's only Dead Rising 3 I really want to play. Are they any good games out for the One, any hidden gems I should be aware of other then the big games (Assassin's Creed, Forza, FIFA etc)?

Thursday

Well who didn't see this coming?

http://www.videogamer.com/news/microsoft_to_release_kinect-less_xbox_one_2.html

So they've now back-pedalled on everything that was unique about the console.

mobias

Microsoft will have to play some pretty big aces in the shape of exclusive games to salvage the Xbone at this years E3. There's rumours going about of Sony having bagged at least two huge third party exclusives they're going to announce. It'll be interesting to see what they are, if its true.

So I guess this the day motion control gaming kind of died?

Mister Six

I fucking hope so. It's a cute idea for parties, but as a built-in function, it's way ahead of its time. And I'm sure all the business with the NSA has scuppered any public interest in having a camera in their living room at all times.

HappyTree

It's only useful saying "We care about your feedback" in the R&D stage. That's when the designers need to respond to feedback so they can make something people want. No use creating the thing and launching it to howls of derision from the entire gaming community, showing that feedback had bugger-all importance, then try to go backwards once the thing is haemorrhaging money.

The true message "Your feedback is only important to us after we tried to force you to want something and it didn't work" is a big fuck you to customers everywhere.

"Kinect is still part of our vision" into your living rooms, trying to spy on everything you ever do.

"Some of the most popular voice commands include 'Xbox On,' 'Xbox Broadcast' and 'Xbox Record That.'"

Ah yes. One could suggest a few voice commands that are more popular: "Xbox why do you not fucking work properly?" "Kinect, throw yourself off a cliff." "Xbox, order me a PS4 please"

Big Jack McBastard

What they should have done is put a little curtain rail just above the Kinect camera and then sold the little square of velvet separately.

Fry

And they've managed to really piss off the only people who really care about the Xbox One, the people who already have one. All of the die-hards are understandably annoyed that they've had to shell out an extra £100 for a camera they barely wanted, and which they can now be almost certain will have no real support from developers (as in about 3 years only about 20% of owners will have a kinect.) Another great job Microsoft.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Fry on May 14, 2014, 04:24:25 PM
And they've managed to really piss off the only people who really care about the Xbox One, the people who already have one. All of the die-hards are understandably annoyed that they've had to shell out an extra £100 for a camera they barely wanted, and which they can now be almost certain will have no real support from developers (as in about 3 years only about 20% of owners will have a kinect.) Another great job Microsoft.

Personally, I think that's a little bit too sweeping. When it comes to being an early adaptor of a new console, unless someone is being completely unrealistic, they know there is a risk – usually, they're paying money for the privilege of being.

Although I've only read a few threads about this so far, the majority of Xbox One owners haven't been up in arms about this. As some point out, the money that they could have saved doesn't amount to much when it's broken over the expected life of the console. Although Kinect support in the future is doubtful, arguably (FWIW, I agree with your take) it's not a feature that was a key selling feature – I'm basing that on conversations that I've had and various online discussion – and can't see that was the reason that people were buying the console. 

Also, there have been other announcements – such as an extra 'free' game and discounts with Gold subscriptions and greater access to apps (e.g. paywalls). That I feel, is taking away some of the sting.

I'm sure that there are owners that are upset, but so far the biggest critics about the move, which I have seen, have come from people who don't own the console.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Ignatius_S on May 14, 2014, 04:43:42 PM
I'm sure that there are owners that are upset, but so far the biggest critics about the move, which I have seen, have come from people who don't own the console.

There are more people who don't own the console for one thing, but in situations like this, pride is often a factor in how much someone will complain and thereby risk being seen to admit they perhaps acted hastily.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on May 14, 2014, 06:02:22 PM
There are more people who don't own the console for one thing, but in situations like this, pride is often a factor in how much someone will complain and thereby risk being seen to admit they perhaps acted hastily.

Actually, I had meant to say what someone says on a forum isn't necessarily what they're thinking privately - however, I still believe that certain owners did make an informed purchasing decision and this doesn't impact on my main point that not all owners would have reacted in an identical horrified manner.

Jamie Oliver is fat

These boxes are fucking lousy

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-13-confirmed-watch-dogs-ps4-900p-xbox-one-792p-both-30fps
QuoteThe PlayStation 4 version runs at 900p resolution. The Xbox One version runs at 792p resolution

mobias

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on May 14, 2014, 09:12:22 PM
These boxes are fucking lousy

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-13-confirmed-watch-dogs-ps4-900p-xbox-one-792p-both-30fps

Its more a case of Ubisoft being lousy. Apparently they've had real problems getting Watch Dogs running smoothly.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: mobias on May 15, 2014, 09:08:18 AM
Its more a case of Ubisoft being lousy. Apparently they've had real problems getting Watch Dogs running smoothly.

At PAX, IIRC, people were complaining of frame rate drops when the game was playing at 1080 - if it's choice of stable FPS or higher resolution, I suspect most would go with the former.

I would certainly want to see the game in action - the longer the release has been delayed for 'optimisation' the more I've been wary. The recommended PC specs (which are on Steam) are pretty hefty and the ones for the Ultra settings are even higher than first thought - and personally, until I see some reports about how well it runs, regardless of meeting specs.

hedgehog90

It feels like Watchdogs will sort of define whether or not this generation is dead in the water. I'm surprised there's not more discussion about the outright failure of this current gen.
Go on IGN or GameSpot and count the amount of games that have come out recently for Xbox One or PS4. I get that the consoles were released a bit prematurely so that's to be expected, but it's so many months on and what games have been announced that people are excited about?
MGS5 (sort of, I don't detect a huge amount of excitement for it) and errrrrrrr... What else?

Thursday

Watchdogs is going to be on previous gen consoles though, I think people are going to be disappointed if they're expecting anything truly next-gen from it. I've got higher hopes for the next Batman game. I don't think you're in the majority in thinking it's been a failure though, it's not as if PS4 is selling badly, and even the XBONE has been doing okay.

It is E3 soon though, so yeah they better have some big announcements at that.

mobias

The first year in any new generation of consoles seems to be fairly thin on decent games. I noticed the new footage of Driveclub on the PS4, due out in October, looks much better than what we've seen before. I still would have preferred another Motorstorm from Evolution studios though.

E3 next month is going to be really exciting I think. It'll be all about the games. We'll definitely get our first look at the new Uncharted and rumor has it Sony apparently have a huge announcement about a certain developer that makes certain open world games.  It may or may not be connected to this http://www.computerandvideogames.com/463522/rockstar-working-on-new-gen-game-due-by-march-2015/

Famous Mortimer

I wish games were bigger rather than prettier, with all the new technologies. Or maybe they are, I don't really pay attention.

chand

Quote from: hedgehog90 on May 15, 2014, 10:03:34 AM
It feels like Watchdogs will sort of define whether or not this generation is dead in the water. I'm surprised there's not more discussion about the outright failure of this current gen.

Too early to conclude really, I've said it before but I didn't get a PS3 til six months after EU release, which itself was months after the US release, and at the time it was still being talked about as a flop. Barely any of the defining games of the last generation came out early in the cycle.

Thursday

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 15, 2014, 01:16:47 PM
I wish games were bigger rather than prettier, with all the new technologies. Or maybe they are, I don't really pay attention.

I'd always thought more sophisticated NPC AI would be a bigger focus, enemies that can hunt you down, use the environment against you and pursue you over huge distances, but it feels like the main solution for that has been online multiplayer.

mikeyg27

Quote from: mikeyg27 on March 24, 2014, 10:31:48 PM
The rumour going around about Far Cry 4 being set in the Himalayas with ridable elephants has piqued my interest.

And it's been confirmed. There's going to be an Xbox 360 version, so I still have no reason to get a new console.

EDIT: Not sure about the box art though:

Thursday

I'd rather that man was the hero than the villain, but it doesn't seem likely.

Anyway good on them for making the game seem like it's going to be both homphobic and racist this time.

biggytitbo

I'm not investing in the next gen until they bring a new Horace game out.

mobias

Here's the latest Driveclub footage in all its 1080p 60fps glory. Its good that they've made it slightly more arcade-y but still looks nowhere rear as much fun as Motorstorm.

http://driveclub.eu.playstation.com/en_GB/1080p

Mister Six

Quote from: mikeyg27 on May 15, 2014, 05:36:13 PM

Good to see they've taken feedback from the claims of racism that emerged after FarCry 3, then.[nb]Unless that's the villain AND you're playing a Tibetan guy who's riding up to kill him, rather than an American who's dropped in to save everyone's ass, of course... but the chances of that are probably slim. RPS'll probably have a field day with this.[/nb]

To be fair, this is the most interesting box art to come out of the triple A space in a while, because it's not a man with a gun walking towards the camera.

It's a man sitting down and he's TECHNICALLY not holding any guns. And he's also sort of smiling. It's also bright!

(Still Far Cry 4 could be very good if they ditch the old writer who was a fucking idiot, and make it slightly more oppressive, less of a power-fantasy. Also, the protagonist needs to be less of a fucking tosser.

I'm sold on the Himalayas though.

I want to play a game where I can walk about the Himalayas.