Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,484
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:15:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What the fuck just happened to my PS3?

Started by falafel, January 28, 2011, 09:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falafel

Turned on. Pressed eject. Turned itself off. Red flashing light. Uh-oh. Turned it back on, it went straight off again. Turned off at the back, then back on again, turned it on with the eject button. Disc came out. FUCKING HELL IT SOUNDS LIKE THE HELLS ANGELS JUST DROVE INTO MY LIVING ROOM OH MY FUCK IS THAT FUCKING SMOKE IT IS IT'S FUCKING SMOKE FUCK FUCK FUCK TURN IT OFF TURN  IT OFF

Now what?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Put more coal in it.

Or if it's in warranty ring up and tell them their stupid pile of shit broke so they'd better come and get it.

Queneau

wheatgod

Zero Gravitas

That sounds like it's broken, are there any melted bits on it?

wheatgod

wheatgod

Could go round there any night of the week and find falafel hanging out the back of it.

uglybob1986

falafel

It was probably just dust.

It is still fucked though and they have offered to replace it by courier for 134 quid which could be worse considering it's 3 years old.

I'll probably take them up on it.

Yeah, I smashed it, but who wouldn't tap tat?

mobias

Calm down, calm down I know what to do. I had the red light of death problem just before Xmas and had it repaired. Its a simple problem to fix and its generally caused by overheating. You can actually do it yourself however you really need to know what you're doing and have the right tools. Most people who try to fix it themselves report that the repair doesn't last as long as when  you get a professional to do it. DO NOT get Sony to repair it. They charge about 140 quid and will wipe EVERYTHING on your hard drive as standard practice. There is a huge industry built up around repairing 360's and PS3. Pretty much all big cities now have dedicated repair shops. I got my PS3 repaired here in Edinburgh with a 24hr turnaround for £50 and what's more they guaranteed the repair and top of that they had a no fix no fee policy. If they found they couldn't repair it then they wouldn't charge you. And perhaps most importantly they didn't wipe my hard drive so all my game saves are safe and well.

So shop around and find a good repair centre near where you are.

boki

Yeah, but did yours turn into a barbecue?  Dude's got smoke, man. SMOKE!

Depressed Beyond Tables

mobias

Quote from: boki on January 29, 2011, 01:03:11 AM
Yeah, but did yours turn into a barbecue?  Dude's got smoke, man. SMOKE!

From my understanding of it that's the final remains of the solder joints linking the main CPU's onto the motherboard finally giving out.

Queneau

Have you considered investing in an X-Boxes?

small_world

Quote from: Queneau on January 28, 2011, 09:25:02 PM
Clean the gunk out of the mouse.

I've got a laser mouse thing, as most probably have, and I really miss cleaning out that grub from the wheels with a little pin.

falafel

Quote from: mobias on January 28, 2011, 11:45:59 PM
Calm down, calm down I know what to do. I had the red light of death problem just before Xmas and had it repaired. Its a simple problem to fix and its generally caused by overheating. You can actually do it yourself however you really need to know what you're doing and have the right tools. Most people who try to fix it themselves report that the repair doesn't last as long as when  you get a professional to do it. DO NOT get Sony to repair it. They charge about 140 quid and will wipe EVERYTHING on your hard drive as standard practice. There is a huge industry built up around repairing 360's and PS3. Pretty much all big cities now have dedicated repair shops. I got my PS3 repaired here in Edinburgh with a 24hr turnaround for £50 and what's more they guaranteed the repair and top of that they had a no fix no fee policy. If they found they couldn't repair it then they wouldn't charge you. And perhaps most importantly they didn't wipe my hard drive so all my game saves are safe and well.

So shop around and find a good repair centre near where you are.

I'm going to take this advice as soon as I get back from Goa. Nothing to lose, the Sony offer stands indefinitely so if they can't fix it I will just get it replaced.

Grrrr, though.

Queneau

Quote from: small_world on January 29, 2011, 02:03:33 PM
I've got a laser mouse thing, as most probably have, and I really miss cleaning out that grub from the wheels with a little pin.

I remember getting a mouse cleaner type thing with PC Gamer magazine (or something like that) years ago. It was basically a hard black one piece Chupa Chup that you jiggled about in place of the ball for a bit. It was really good. One day I realised I'd lost it so threw my computer out of the window.