Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:54:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What scares you?

Started by mwude, February 07, 2004, 01:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwude

What gives you the willies?  The heebie-jeebies?  What shits you right up good & proper?

Are you scared of spiders? (you great poof, just stamp on them & they die.  They're only little anyway).  Or wasps? (which scare the shit out of me cos they can sting & keep stinging if annoyed).

Or are you scared of dying alone, unloved and your corpse 5 months into its decay before anyone notices the smell or the fact you've gone?

I'm scared of wasps.  & that bit in The Omen when the nanny jumps off the roof.

pretty dead boy

QuoteOr are you scared of dying alone, unloved and your corpse 5 months into its decay before anyone notices the smell or the fact you've gone?

see, there i was, towering above phobias of wasps and spiders, fearless and untouchable, a god amonst whores, until you said that.  there isn't much more than i can add, other than that i'm worried i'll tumble along merrily, girlfriend-less, meeting up with the people i'm friends with now and allowing a quick, self-depricating raise of the eyebrows as i say that i'm still living alone but am fine.  it all seems quite realistic and quite undramatic - that i'll just get to however old and have accepted it, two skinny arse marks worn in to my reading chair or similar.

everything that goes with this; working, soup for one, cleanliness, sad and deliberate dedication to the things you enjoy, family meetings and quiet pity of couples, scares me.

i am also quite scared of wasps and spiders.

Rubbish Monkey

wasp_f15ting

Burning to death is up there with the worst fears for me, all the far surrounding my nerves and muscle slowly burning its way through them, that last 4-5 mins must be nasty, I suppose your brain shuts off after a bit, but during that time I bet its well nasty.

I am scared of viri too, the likle buggers are so tiny and can cuase so much fucking damage.. ahh well at least its organic eh

There are far far more fearful things I can think off, but these two are the flavour of the day.

Huzzie

Cancer and Drug Squad are my biggest fears at the moment.

Course I am not on drugs but they think I am a gangster and are watching me.

My nan died of cancer, I have never seen such a steep decline of a person before. She was a beautiful woman in every possible way. Before she died she was covered yellow with jaundice, blind, ... ohh shit, well, loads of problems, you can imagine. I am not scared of death at all, just scared of how I am going to die.

Marcus Or Relius

I'm terrified of wasps too. Bees I'm okay with, they're just fat 'n furry idiots who are quite content to buzz around making honey for Tescos, and only sting you if you call their mum a slag. Wasps, however, are the Millwall fans of the insect world, angry little shitters who postively cackle when they sting you. Bastards. If one comes into the room I literally run out, shrieking "fuckfuckfuckfuck".

Then I sneak back in, clutching a rolled up newspaper, muttering in my war-movie-trailer-voiceover voice "The hunter...has become the hunted!!"... before the wasp waves at me from the window-ledge and shouts "Yeah? Come on then! Come on then you big puff," prompting another girly shriek of terror from me as I leap once more to the safety of the hallway.

I sneak back in later, more resolved than ever cos I'm missing Newsnight or Oswald and, finally, after a battle of wits and strength, I valiantly smash to pieces this nightmare beast that's a good one-millionth of my weight with the rolled up newspaper. WHACK WHACK WHACK! Take that you fucker.

However it still takes a lot of courage to dispose of the corpse of my fallen foe. Ueeaaagh! <shudders>

Spiders are a piece of piss though. I often spill their pints and demand to know "what are y'gonna do aboot it pal?!" whilst prodding them in their chests. The arachnids just cast their eight eyes to the ground and mutter "Nothing."

hoverdonkey

Sensational Marcus. Consistently make me laugh you do.

Heights scare me. I'm OK until I start thinking about it and then I can't get away from the situation quick enough. 3-0 leads also scare me.

fum

Quote from: "hoverdonkey"Sensational Marcus. Consistently make me laugh you do.

Heights scare me. I'm OK until I start thinking about it and then I can't get away from the situation quick enough. 3-0 leads also scare me.

Its the grounds you've got to be worried about. Heights don't kill you its the ground when you hit it.

I'm scared of dying alone spiders and maggots. uuurrrggh!!

Hairy Chin

T'other way round for me. I give the old wasps the twatting they deserve if they bother me, but run away like a big girl at anything house-spider sized or above. Although I did get tooled up like Arnie in Commando to take one on a couple of months back. It was on the wall near the celing, above my head. I went downstairs, armed myself with a pair of shoes, the free newspaper and the Thompson directory that arrived earlier that day, along with a flea-spray aerosol and a lighter.

Went back upstairs, moved the bed so it coudln't land on my pillow and then proceed to scurry up my legs and into my pants. I threw the phone directory at the fucker, then the newspspaper, as I wasn't sure if the directory had hit it squarely or got at a slight angle and bounced off the wall after just squishing one of it's legs to the wall as it hung there, paper did sod all, so I resorted to my shoes, they made him fall to the floor, but I wasn't sure if he was dead or just pretending in the hope I'd leave him alone and move my bed back so he could come out and crawl all over my face in the night and scare the crap out of me when I wake up to find a spider nestling over my eyeball for a quick kip.

I just couldn't take that risk.

So I just had to set about his body with aerosol and lighter...I succeeded in scorching the carpet for a good few inches radius around the critter. But still not convinced, I had to get the shoe and squish him a few times with it to be safe. Then I had to face my horrible arachnaphobia and try to scoop the spider into the newspaper...without actually touching it. Now, I know I've thrown several objects at it, squashed it, scorched it, squashed it a bit more...but I was still weary that any moment it would have happilly jumped up onto its many legs and scuttled up my arm. So it did take me a while to talk myself into the fact it was obviously dead, then finally scoop it into the newspaper (and squash it some more just to be sure), and sling it in the bin.

Bloody spiders.

Oh yeah, and I don't look favourably on burning to death, drowning or suffocating either. But I see spiders as more of an immediate, everyday threat to my wellbeing if I'm honest.

twatloops

Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"These

Thats just cruel to put "these".  I clicked it half expecting something equally life-changing (for the very worst) to goatse...

Rubbish Monkey

blue jammer

Chalk me up for another death fear...

Anything to do with my head being injured, smashed, shot, or throat cut, as I can't imagine a worse way to go out.

The Plaque Goblin

I understand that ALL spiders have poisonous fangs but most have ones that are too small to penetrate our skin.

I can't quite think of any irrational fears that I have, but I can well imagine being scared of encountering something like a tiger.

Doctor Stamen

Spiders, deafness, cancer and drowning for me.  Hairy Chin made me laugh about the spider, that's a bit what i'm like, but i probably couldn't even get that close to one in the first place, they just make me go cold with fear even though I know they can't do me any harm.  The weird thing is I can sense if I walk into a room and there's a spider on the wall behind me, I can sense it's there before I even see it.  Nasty, nasty little fuckers!

If I ever found out I had terminal cancer, i'd just end it there and then.  It might be the coward's way out, but my mum died of cancer and after seeing what it does to people I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.  Drowning must be fucking awful too, what a way to go.

I'd hate to go deaf too, just imagine not being able to hear all the music you like.

blue jammer

Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"I'd hate to go deaf too, just imagine not being able to hear all the music you like.

Oh yeah, that's another one, well reminded, :~(

I once said I'd rather go blind than go deaf, if I had to lose one sense, and I stick by that.

mwude

If I had to lose one sense it's my sense of smell that's on the top of that list.

I love people's irrational fears.  It's a cheap & easy glance into their messy sub-conscious.  I knew someone who was petrified by escalators.  Lifts I can understand, small enclosed space, potential plummet to your death, etc.  But escalators?  Weirdo.

I'm scared that I'll still be living at home with mummy & daddy when I'm 30.

Frinky

Anything to do with anything touching my eyes. Scratching, popping, gouging, cutting... Nyrargh... Disgusting.

Being hit by a train and surviving to remember it.

To lose control of my body, never be able to play again.

Yet worse, loosing control of my general faculties. That really scares me. Do you even know it's happening? Apart from when people point that out to you? It makes my blood run cold.

Actually, before I go on, everything scares me. Really. I'm one of those people who is a complete hypocondriac but is so ashamed of being one that I never tell anyone when somethings wrong with me. I've had a lump on my back for about two years and I won't tell anyone becuase I don't want them to think I'm being a ninny. It can't be cancer, I'm not dead yet. So it must be ok. But I think "what if?" all the time. I live in constant awareness that today could be my very last day. If I was diagnosed with something terminal, like Stamen said, that's it, I'd end it too. I don't think it's cowardly - there's no point fighting a losing battle and I'd rather keep my dignity intact and spare others seeing me crumble to bits.

I was happy today, till I replied to this.

wheatgod

Purple Tentacle

I already poured my heart out on the old board about this, so...

deathly phobia.... overflowing toilets .... and rivers.... freeze then scream.... worst nightmare.

Dr David V

Been here, done this, blah blah blah, scared of death, blah blah, you know what else I'm going to say, so I'll stop now.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "wasp_f15ting"Burning to death is up there with the worst fears for me, all the far surrounding my nerves and muscle slowly burning its way through them, that last 4-5 mins must be nasty, I suppose your brain shuts off after a bit, but during that time I bet its well nasty.

Same here. That and being boiled to death. I really can't imagine anything worse than being burned/boiled/cooked. You know, during the Spanish Inquisition they used to put people in giant ovens and cook them. Nasty, nasty, nasty. (see here, at the bottom: http://www.geocities.com/iconoclastes.geo/inquisition.html )

Oh, and spiders. A giant spider pushing me into an oven would be my worst nightmare I think.

Marcus Or Relius

Everyone I've ever met being told EVERYTHING I've ever thought about  - and more importantly who I've thought about doing it to - ever.

The shame...

/blushes

Vermschneid Mehearties

Drowning, suffocation, burning.

Oh, and wasps. Needless animals with seeming arrogance and intent to harm others. Thoughtless cunts.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "The Unicorn"burned/boiled/cooked.

Hehehe, I re-read that about 3 times as "bummed/boiled/cooked", which would be just as bad I would imagine.

How about being cookd and bombd for all eternity?

the hum

Another one for spiders here.  Strangely I wasn't that bothered by them when I was a kid, so I don't know where the phobia developed from.  A low point was a few months back when before going to sleep I started hearing this weird clicking noise from a corner of the bedroom. I investigated and found two spiders (presumably) facing off for that particular corner of the room.  I very nearly decided to head off downstairs to sleep at that point, but got a grip of myself, and the clicking stopped after about 15 minutes.

The Culture Bunker

I don't care how much of a wimp it makes me sound, but right now as I hear the crack and see the flash through the window, I am scared to bejesus of thunder and lightning.

the hum

Quote from: "The Culture Bunker"I don't care how much of a wimp it makes me sound, but right now as I hear the crack and see the flash through the window, I am scared to bejesus of thunder and lightning.

Ditto.  There are several gits of bad weather here right now too.  Not very nice.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Hairy Chin"I went downstairs, armed myself with...[stuff]...along with a flea-spray aerosol and a lighter.
At this point I could see an impending entry in the "Embarrassing self-inflicted accidental injuries" thread coming up...

QuoteSo I just had to set about his body with aerosol and lighter...I succeeded in scorching the carpet for a good few inches radius around the critter.
Does it really work then, like in the James Bond film?  I've always wanted to try that, but have always been petrified that the can would explode, taking my hand off and peppering my face and body with wafer-thin shrapnel.

I'm still not going to try it though, I prefer to just read the "Embarrassing self-inflicted accidental injuries" thread rather than contribute to it.

My own fears?  Well it always used to be dry-drowning, i.e. drowning in a grain silo or whatever; my fears about this were reinforced by a BBC drama shown sometime in the early 80s that featured a particularly grisly scene of this (complete with obligatory grasping hand being the last thing to go, natch).  However since someone here just mentioned it, it has to be boiling.  I think the most horrific thing I've ever seen on telly was the scene from a 3rd series episode of the X-Files where a bloke gets boiled.  Lots of gurgling and screaming and hissing sounds, quite quite horrible....

I'm not keen on wasps either; my reaction to them used to be much the same as Hairy Chin's to spiders (which I have no problem with at all), however in the last few years I've got a fuck of a lot better about them.  Still not keen though.

Cerys

What scares me?  Hmmm.  Not wasps.  When I was a kid I was terrified of them - not of being stung; just of having them buzzing around my head.  Now I just hate the little stripey bastards.

You know, I can't think of anything that actually scares me.  I've just asked SNG, and he can't think of anything that scares me either.  Note to self: must try harder.

Blue Jam

For some reason I'm more frightened of heat disease than cancer, probably due to the relative incidences of these diseases in my family. I do a lot of exercise, and I'm scared of my body packing up, and of becoming old and doddery.

Dying having wasted my life is my main fear, which is why I can't face the prospect of another office job right now. I also have the same fear that Bret Easton Ellis mentioned in his interview with Chris Morris; fear of not being able to trust people. I'm very paranoid, partly because of people having betrayed my trust too many times in the past, and as I've said before in my many job interview rants, the people at assessment centres who brag about being dishonest, backstabbing greed-is-good types in an attempt to get jobs really do sicken me. Untrustworthy people probably scare me more than anything.