Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:48:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The state of PS3

Started by hoverdonkey, January 30, 2011, 04:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoverdonkey

Hello.

I am considering chopping in my 360 for a PS3. I'm not unhappy with my 360, but I fancy a change and really want Little Big Planet 2 to play with the boy. However, I haven't really kept up to date with console scene so was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to why I should definitely not do this. Is there something obvious that I will miss. I love the idea of Xbox Live, but in reality I rarely play online, so don't mind if the PS3 version is inferior (which it was the last time I read anything about it a couple of years ago). Also, how reliable is the blu-ray player, because ours is shite and won't play some despite being updated with the latest firmware.

I think I'd miss the 360 controller, but considering I only really play NHL 11 and one or two others, is there is a good reason I shouldn't do this? Are you PS3 chaps happy with your wash?

chand

I love my PS3. And the Blu Ray player has been reliable for me, although I haven't used it all that heavily. The online is fine for free, but again I don't use it that much; sounds like you're the same so I wouldn't anticipate many problems.

An tSaoi

No problems with my machine either. The Blu-Ray's just as good as an actual Blu-Ray player to my eyes. As for you being used to the 360 controller, I think the PS one is far superior. You'll have no trouble with it.

As for the online play, doesn't XBox live cost you for some services? As far as I know, PlayStation Network is free all round.

PS3 > 360.

Zero Gravitas

^ All well and good but I really think you should mention the fact that it has no games.

mobias

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on January 30, 2011, 02:15:37 PM
^ All well and good but I really think you should mention the fact that it has no games.

That's highly debatable and extremely subjective to put it mildly wouldn't you say? I bought a PS3 because I thought the 360 had no games. Does depend on the sort of thing you're into.

Don't really play games on it much, but as a Blu Ray player it's pretty good. It's supposedly still producing the 'reference' image. Especially when it comes to upscaling. Well, you'd expect it to have a bit of welly in order to do that processing. On the down side, it is maybe a little louder than a standard player.

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: mobias on January 30, 2011, 03:20:08 PM
That's highly debatable and extremely subjective to put it mildly wouldn't you say? I bought a PS3 because I thought the 360 had no games. Does depend on the sort of thing you're into.

No I meant, objectively and literally it's got no games.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on January 30, 2011, 03:54:36 PM
No I meant, objectively and literally it's got no games.

Huh?! That's nonsense. Most big-ticket games come out on both platforms and only a lunatic would argue that Xbox 360 has more exclusive titles than PS3. Here are the known exclusives for each platform which are likely to drop in 2011:

PS3

Little Big Planet 2
Uncharted 3
Killzone 3
Infamous 2
Resistance 3
SOCOM 4
Yakuza 4
Ratchet and Clank: All For One
Twisted Metal
Motorstorm Apocalypse
DC Universe Online
The Last Guardian
ICO/Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection
Final Fantasy XIV
The Agency
A load of guff PlayStation Move games

Xbox 360

Gears of War 3
XCOM
Kingdoms
Forza 4
Project Draco
A possible new Halo game
A load of guff Kinect games

mobias

You can also add to that long list Rockstar's upcoming game Agent which is a PS3 exclusive. I've heard on very good authority its going to be utterly mind blowing.

Depressed Beyond Tables

PS3 without a doubt.

There's a reason why they're giving away the Xbox.

It's so you've more money to spend on the superior range of 360 games, right?

Zero Gravitas

jutl

The Uncharted and LBP franchises make the PS3 worth owning on their own. Having said that, PS3 versions of multi-platform games are often inferior in terms of technical execution and DLC. Why not keep the 360? You'll get poor trade-in value for an old-style 360 anyway.

Most "PS3+Xbox360" games run better on the Xbox 360. Fewer screen tears, fewer framerate drops, and higher resolution on the X360 versions.

Yet I only have a PS3. It's not that far behind, really. And I like the Sony exclusives (Uncharted etc.) a bit better.

Mister Six

Quote from: hoverdonkey on January 30, 2011, 04:33:25 AM
Hello.

I am considering chopping in my 360 for a PS3. I'm not unhappy with my 360, but I fancy a change and really want Little Big Planet 2 to play with the boy. However, I haven't really kept up to date with console scene so was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to why I should definitely not do this. Is there something obvious that I will miss.

Don't have one myself but my mate bought a PS3 for the Blu-Ray capability and found it so slow (in loading times and patches), finicky and generally shit to play games on that he went and bought a 360 for that purpose.

From my own experiences I'd say there's not a whole lot between them, though the PS3 seems to have much longer load times and the joypad's not as well designed. Just buy a PS3 and keep the Xbox, why don't ya?

hoverdonkey

Just buy a PS3 and keep the xbox, he says. What level of insane am I? My wife would tear me to shreds. You're probably right though. I'll just need to sneak it in under the telly and hope she doesn't notice/baffle her with science. No council tax to pay for the next two months and it always burns a hole in my pocket.

Mister Six

On the plus side I think you can use the PS3 to play BBC iPlayer and 4OD, assuming your TV setup doesn't already have that function - although I'm not entirely sure how. Hopefully someone on here can clue you in.

Can't you just pass the PS3 off as a Blu-Ray player that just happens to play games as well? Maybe get The English Patient or something equally spouse mollifying on BR to show off yer fancy new rig?

mobias

Quote from: Mister Six on January 30, 2011, 06:41:46 PM

though the PS3 seems to have much longer load times and the joypad's not as well designed.

Blu-ray has a much slower reading speed than standard DVD so any game loading from the disc will be slower than on the 360. However to counter that some PS3 games will allow a hard drive install which obviously speeds things up greatly. As for the joypad not being as well designed that's a matter of opinion and what you're used to. I've never got on with the 360 controller. I really like the front four knuckle buttons the PS3 controller has plus for me its just smaller and neater.

The BBCi player app for the PS3 has rightfully been given a lot of good press, the upscaling of the image quality is pretty good, I use it a lot.

Mister Six

I used to love the PS2 controllers and can still use the PS3 ones since they're pretty much identical. But their size and shape seems incompatible with my own hands since I got used to the more ergonomically refined 360 ones. Horses for courses, though.

jutl

Quote from: mobias on January 30, 2011, 11:14:20 PM
Blu-ray has a much slower reading speed than standard DVD

That's a bit misleading. A standard BD drive transfers faster than a standard DVD drive. It is true however that the early gen 2x BD in the PS3 reads slower than the late generation 12x DVD in the 360.

bitesize

i went PS3 at Christmas - still got the XBox for multiplatform stuff and exclusives, but the time has finally arrived that there's enough decent games that appeal to me on PS3 to warrant a purchase. it's really nice too, good as a BluRay player, nice media streaming abilities, iplayer, lovefilm etc. also a few good games. really really hate the controller tho - the XBox controller is the best i've ever used (apart from the d-pad), the Dualshock just feels horrible to me (apart from the d-pad). has anyone made a 3rd party controller for the PS3 that's just like the XBox one? i'd go for that...

Neomod

Quote from: Mister Six on January 30, 2011, 10:49:58 PM
On the plus side I think you can use the PS3 to play BBC iPlayer and 4OD, assuming your TV setup doesn't already have that function - although I'm not entirely sure how. Hopefully someone on here can clue you in.

That's the shit thing of owning an xbox. Wish it had the iplayer instead of sky.

No money in it for Microsoft[nb]Jeez I just wrote Microprose!?[/nb] though so it will never happen.

MojoJojo

Apparently MS insist that it would should be a gold members only thing, which the BBC can't allow.

Still Not George

Quote from: MojoJojo on February 04, 2011, 01:46:43 PM
Apparently MS insist that it would should be a gold members only thing, which the BBC can't allow.

MS policy puts all bandwidth costs onto the gold membership charges. iPlayer uses ungodly amounts of bandwidth due to its popularity, so it would have to be a paid service.

(Sony charge developers for bandwidth, and Nintendo are swimming on a giant pile of money so they don't care.)

MojoJojo

Uh... presumably the iplayer content wouldn't be going through MS servers though would it? That would seem to be a massive and unnecessary cost for no good reason, since the BBC already has plenty of servers set up for serving iplayer content. Unless there is some technical reason why it would have to, althought that seems a little unlikely.

I thought it was just the case that MS were completely against added such a useful service to the free account - for a lot of people it would be a good reason to upgrade to Gold membership, and that's what they want.

Consignia

Yep, the BBC can't charge for it's services, and Microsoft's policy is not give any advanced services for free. I believe the Beeb have working version of iPlayer ready to roll out if they ever sort the conflict out.

Custard

The day MS and the BBC agree on terms to bring iPlayer to the Xbox i may very well pass out with joy. Can't see it happening, though. Apparently both are refusing to budge on the Gold subscription thing.

I'm surprised the ITV Player and 4od haven't made it on there either yet, mind.

Zero Gravitas

Doesn't tversity to transcoding of iPlayer, has anyone tried it?

MojoJojo

Think you need the paid version for that, which I haven't bothered with.

Still Not George

It would be awesome. iPlayer is the single thing I still use my Wii for. If it ever came out on the 360, I could finally put my Wii in the bin where it belongs.