Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:11:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Film Club: MEET DAVE: Film4 - Sunday at 7.10pm

Started by Zero Gravitas, February 04, 2011, 01:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero Gravitas

As was revealed in a recent thread I've never seen MEET DAVE and am obviously very excited for this chance, but it's not enough that I experience it in isolation so this is as good a time as any in inaugurate the CaB film club!

(In which we behave like those wankers in CC by watching it together despite our geographic separation and share how wonderful we all think it is with real-time textual commentary.)

Next up: Martyrs (2008)

NoSleep

Famous Mortimer

Let's do it. I'll get the laptop and we can all dissect its greatness, live, in CaB chat maybe?

Goldentony

I'll be there. It's been such a long time since i've actually experienced MEET DAVE in full, so i'm monumentally excited to be able to take every iota of this movie in again. There's just so much to it I think I need to DVR it for later. What a great film to start the film club off with. Looking forward to a running commentary too!

SavageHedgehog

Although it's certainly not recommended for novices or relative mavericks, affcionados might want to consider a mute viewing where attention is naturally drawn to the way the giant Murphy takes up the screen in an almost mythic matter, superbly underlining Robbins' intended parallels with Fritz Lang's Metropolis (1927). While the delightful evocation of Adorno and Horkheimer in the commerce scenes are certainly missed, the experience makes it worthwhile.

rjd2

I haven't seen this but I think its safe to say it is cancer.

However is it so bad its good, or is it just bad?

NoSleep

rjd2

Zero Gravitas

small_world

I read that MEET DAVE thread with a sense of wonder. I've never seen the film, but the YouTube clip someone posted was really kind of funny.
I never get on chat, I don't consider myself that 'accepted' here yet. But I'm going to get on for this.
And I would like everyone to know that if I enjoy it it will be in a totally unironic way.

small_world

Also, it would really annoy me if anyone strayed from calling it MEET DAVE. For example
Spoiler alert
Meet Dave
[close]

SavageHedgehog

The church of MEET DAVE is a broad church. While MEET DAVE is the orthodox spelling we certainly accept and embrace Meet Dave, "Meet Dave", Meet Dave and even Meat Dave.

Zero Gravitas

Actually I hold that 'Meat' or 'meat' or indeed 'MEAT' are all born of the most disgusting heterodoxy and should be punished by being roasted to death inside a giant brass Eddie Murphy head.

SavageHedgehog

I shall bring up the matter with the council.

I would hate a war to break out over MEET DAVE, but I suppose as with all such significant works it is something of an inevitability

small_world

I was just about to post..

"The time is almost upon us. I shall be watching with food and my girlfriend.
How does the chat thing work? Does the radio have to be on? Could someone play the sound of them watching MEET DAVE. like, laughs and all...."

Zero Gravitas

Are you under the impression it's a work of comedy SW?

I might as well stick my paddle in and admit that I've never seen MEET DAVE.

Therefore, I will be following the film's plot and this thread with appropriate levels of excitement when the time comes.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Consider my paddle stuck in or something. Did Scorsese do the screenplay for this or is that another film I'm thinking about?

Zero Gravitas

It was a group effort by all the Hollywood people, they refused credit as not to detract from the purity of the work.

Dead kate moss

Fuck it my gfs really poorly so it looks like I'm going to have to miss this and go round to look after her.

Only joking, I don't want her horrible germs, I'm IN.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on February 06, 2011, 05:45:15 PM
It was a group effort by all the Hollywood people, they refused credit as not to detract from the purity of the work.

Cool. Hope it's not too arty.

Zero Gravitas

NoSleep

I'll be watching a copy of the film in sync with the rest of you, but don't have a telly anymore. You'll have to tell me when to pause for the ads.

NoSleep

NoSleep

Zero Gravitas

chocky909

Remember when Film4 only showed films of the calibre of Meet Dave? They'll bung any old shite on these days.