Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:52:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The glorious world of 3D gaming

Started by HappyTree, February 07, 2011, 12:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyTree

Are there any 3D games out there that are worth looking at? Or even any at all? Any future releases you know about? Any format, but Xbox 360 is my preferred platform.

HappyTree

I ask because I just got a new 40" telly/monitor. I didn't want 3D as I thought it was poor. I got this TV in a sale, an amazing bargain on a Samsung LED 7th generation, and when I took it home I discovered that not only was it a great price normally, it is also a 3D tv. Can't understand why the shop sold it for this price, but hey there you go.

So now I have this 3D thing, it would be nice to have some games to use it with. It may be good, may not.

Mister Six

How much did it cost you?

Not sure if the 3D is much cop, but it's worth picking up the 3D version of Batman: Arkham Asylum on the basis of the game alone. It's an absolute cracker. It's the Batmanningest game ever. There is none more Batman.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I dunno about the 360, but when I upgraded my Nvidia drivers to 64 bit, all of a sudden I could play all my games in 3D. I only actually have Fallout 3 and The Orange Box, but it works well for them (although Fallout 3 is hampered by the crosshair not appearing within the 3D space) and I guess it works for most others.

Zero Gravitas

Possible and functional on the xbox but seemingly it requires the developers to make extra effort, I assume that's due to console limitations in what's being rendered.

But with a relatively small proportion of people using HD sets never mind 3D I'm not sure it's worth it for them.
Quote from: Mister Six on February 07, 2011, 12:55:19 AM
How much did it cost you?

Not sure if the 3D is much cop, but it's worth picking up the 3D version of Batman: Arkham Asylum on the basis of the game alone.

That's just anaglyph green/magenta though isn't it?

chocky909

The Avatar game is meant to be very good 3Dwise. I think that might be PS3 only though. Sony sound more committed to 3D than Microsoft right now. I think the forthcoming Ico/SOTC HD remakes are going to be in 3D too. PS3 only too.

HappyTree

I played the Batman demo, wasn't keen. The movement felt too restricted and it was just a button masher to my eyes. Not that bothered about Batman in the first place. I prefer games in which you can fanny about more. Crackdown 2 will be appearing in the postbox soon, that's more my scene, daddio.

The TV has a 2D - 3D converter, I'll try that and see if it makes any difference. But as I said, I didn't get it for the 3D, it was just a reasonably priced LED at that size anyway. About 900 knicker.

momatt

I've heard playing football in the park is well good and has proper realistic 3D.
I'm not convinced.

HappyTree

Yeah but the controls are rubbish and the weather a bit too realistic :-D

mobias

My dad went and treated himself to one of the top of the range Sony 3D TV's, it was silly money but the picture is stunning. If you buy a PS3 you can get Motorstorm 3D Rift for a tenner. Its the best of the 3D PS3 games out there at the moment however next month Motorstorm Apocalypse comes out, which not only looks uttery amazing, if you like over the top arcade racing games, but is aparently one of  the first 'proper' 3D games to come out. It was made with 3D in mind right from the start. From my expereince of it 3D has much more of a future in gaming than it does in the movies. Its so well suited to a gaming experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpdTAcZglOE

HappyTree

Just found out that the Avatar game is in 3D. Well I suppose one could have expected that. Pity it's not that great a game, I don't think I'll be getting it just to use the 3D. I guess in time more games will come out in 3D. I used my TV's 2D-3D function yesterday and it was vaguely ok, but not really, and the picture was a bit dim.

I don't think 3D will catch on until it gets a bit better.