Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:51:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pac-man..the album!

Started by babyshambler, February 08, 2011, 12:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babyshambler

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I don't think the music forum is really that suitable..

http://www.mediafire.com/?81cf0z101yk7zos

Novelty ahoy!

Maybe an all-encompassing game-music thread would be more suitable? I couldn't see one. I'm not sure how much mileage we'll get from discussing this one, sadly.

NoSleep

The best game music for me all seems to come from Square, notables being Chrono Trigger, FFVII, Front Mission III, Parasite Eve II & Vagrant Story. I read recently that Yasunori Mitsuda, who had joined Square as a composer but was actively working as a sound engineer, had to threaten to leave before they offered him the job of creating the music for Chrono Trigger, which he then worked on so obsessively that he became seriously ill. But he really did come up with some excellent goods.
Games music can really make or break a game for me and I notice that many other games companies offer the opportunity to turn the music provided completely off. Square NEVER do this and it's a testimony to how integral to the game they see the soundtrack; as important as it is in film.

babyshambler

There was somebody on here that did their dissertation on music from games. I requested a copy but they never got back to me. A quick check tells me it was Jack Skellington. Is he still around?

Mister Six

Quote from: NoSleep on February 08, 2011, 06:43:30 PM
The best game music for me all seems to come from Square, notables being Chrono Trigger, FFVII, Front Mission III, Parasite Eve II & Vagrant Story. I read recently that Yasunori Mitsuda, who had joined Square as a composer but was actively working as a sound engineer, had to threaten to leave before they offered him the job of creating the music for Chrono Trigger, which he then worked on so obsessively that he became seriously ill. But he really did come up with some excellent goods.
Games music can really make or break a game for me and I notice that many other games companies offer the opportunity to turn the music provided completely off. Square NEVER do this and it's a testimony to how integral to the game they see the soundtrack; as important as it is in film.

It's odd with RPG music - I sometimes wonder whether my appreciation of it is sometimes unduly elevated by the fact that I've heard it continually repeated for literally dozens of hours...

Best game-related song for me probably remains Portal's 'Still Alive', which is much funnier once you've played the game and get all the references. Still gloriously catchy either way - my dad, who hasn't played a video game since the ZX Spectrum days, had this on repeat for weeks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RthZgszykLs

Famous Mortimer

I really like the Silent Hill soundtracks, I don't know if they're "good" music or not, but my memories of playing the game bleed through and I enjoy the listen.

NoSleep

Quote from: Mister Six on February 08, 2011, 07:35:41 PM
It's odd with RPG music - I sometimes wonder whether my appreciation of it is sometimes unduly elevated by the fact that I've heard it continually repeated for literally dozens of hours...

Were that true then I should love that short loop of music used in the SNES version of Sim City that you are forced[nb]Well, you can turn the speakers of the TV down.[/nb] to endure for literally hours upon hours of gameplay.

SavageHedgehog

A duo going by the name of Buckner & Garcia did an album called Pac-Man Fever in 1982 with songs about arcade games like Donkey Kong, Frogger, Centipede etc. The title track went Top 10 in the US! As far as novelty kid's albums go I think it's pretty good.

Mister Six

Quote from: NoSleep on February 08, 2011, 09:53:56 PM
Were that true then I should love that short loop of music used in the SNES version of Sim City that you are forced[nb]Well, you can turn the speakers of the TV down.[/nb] to endure for literally hours upon hours of gameplay.

Not saying it's shit, just wondering whether a kind of aural Stockholm Syndrome causes me to think they're better than they are.

NoSleep

Quote from: Mister Six on February 09, 2011, 12:42:54 AM
Not saying it's shit, just wondering whether a kind of aural Stockholm Syndrome causes me to think they're better than they are.

They have the stock music for the various game locations and world maps, which usually loops from between 1 minute to as long as 3 or 4, but the best music is often saved for particular battles and moments in the plot, and then may only be heard that one time.

Rev

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 08, 2011, 07:40:58 PM
I really like the Silent Hill soundtracks, I don't know if they're "good" music or not, but my memories of playing the game bleed through and I enjoy the listen.

Definitely good, although the later games did indicate that yer man wanted to be doing poppier stuff that wasn't entirely appropriate.  The new one will be the first without his input, which will be interesting.

Rev

Oh, and of course, we can't be appreciating game music without the inevitable:

Monkey Island

mcbpete

This is the level on DKC that inspired me to start making music of my own -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgx0dSU0Mxc

Sivead

Always loved the main theme from the Spectrum and Amstrad CPC versions of the Robocop arcade game, the Gamboy one sounds the best of the bunch though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZBDNQ3gas
Later reused in the Ariston ad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUVs7vXNZiw

mcbpete

Although I'm a little biased being a huge SID chip fan I think I prefer the C64 version, the synths and drums sound more defined -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4dmo05Ys3k