Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,492
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:31:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New edition of David Thomson's Biographical Dictionary of Film

Started by Jake Thingray, February 10, 2011, 01:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake Thingray

Always good to see an update of this, even though I often disagree with Thomson's opinions, he usually phrases them impeccably. Still no entry for Roger Moore or Ollie Reed, which won't please the Britmovie crowd. Nice one on Dennis Price, which I don't recall seeing before, glad that he's kept in the near-the-end phrase about Cleese from earlier editions, "the grim truth sinks deeper: this great man is no longer funny". Can't agree with his praise for Bill Nighy, who gives the same performance in everything. Interesting to see he now includes the very under-rated Tony Palmer.

Wet Blanket

Complete absence of Charlie Kaufman shocks and appals me; although in the entry for Bernard Herrman he admits to giving writers short shrift.

I think this edition could have used another edit before printing, what with so many of the entries ending on a note quite obviously from the last revision with a little bit extra tacked on at the end in a slap dash fashion. I get the impression that Thompson's feeling a bit underwhelmed by the movie industry these days; his lament in the introduction comparing the quality of Best Picture Oscar nominated films in the 1970s with today's was particularly unfair, particularly considering the calibre of this year's selection.   

Jake Thingray

Developing a touch of the Halliwells as one gets older is quite normal for film fans, I know I'm guilty of it myself. You're right about it needing "another edit before printing", the entries on Richard Harris and Sir John Mills include their death dates but refer to them in the present tense. One reason I like him is he doesn't think the Bond films are in any way important, no entry in this one for Daniel Craig and he admits having made a mistake in the first edition by predicting Sean Connery would flounder after giving up the role and would never escape its identification. Also agree with his being unconvinced by those who claim Michael Caine has range and ability.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Jake Thingray on February 11, 2011, 04:38:03 PM
Also agree with his being unconvinced by those who claim Michael Caine has range and ability.

Caine definitely has ability, he just doesn't have a great deal of range.