Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:05:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kinect Sports

Started by Neil, February 11, 2011, 12:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I am loving this game to bits, anyone else into it?  Just renewed my Live subs last night, and finally won a few boxing matches.  The single-player modes tend to have a bit more skill to them, the online versions are just crazy brawl-fests, but not bad fun.  I'll likely stick with the single-player, and King Of The Ring game, for the most part, but the online modes to break it up.  The boxing is something I've hankered after for years, though.  Shadow boxing is pretty tedious, but this makes it so much fun.  I had the EyeToy for the exact same reason, and I just hope we finally get some good fighting games with the Kinect tech.

Table tennis has proved to be a lot of fun, as it is a bit more skill-based.  The gestures of your avatar really do enhance the sense of immersion, and provide quite a few laughs.  It's great to be able to do all kinds of gestures, after winning or losing a point.  Reminds me a bit of that old Jedi Knight game, where people would bow as a mark of respect before each duel.  It's kind of like that, except with more 'up yours' motions.

Neil

Well, I'm now completely resigned to getting the Lady GaGa dancing game, if only so I can do choreographed dance moves as part of my victory salutes.  I never thought I'd say it, but moon-walking and the pointy Saturday Night Fever dance are starting to get old.  Same with air-guitaring, and doing exaggerated pointy gestures towards my thrusting crotch.

Jemble Fred

I've played it, but not bought it. I quite enjoyed the boxing too, but oddly everyone here completely dismissed it, while loving the table tennis and bowling.

I did, however, cripple myself for nearly a week by playing shitty Kinect Adventures over Xmas. I didn't think I was quite that unfit, but having to go from a crouching position to being literally a FOOT off the ground several times within a few seconds absolutely buckled me. Kinect is deceptively knackering, I'll remember to limber up a bit first in future...

rudi

Quote from: Neil on February 11, 2011, 04:20:23 PM
moon-walking and the pointy Saturday Night Fever dance are starting to get old.  Same with air-guitaring, and doing exaggerated pointy gestures towards my thrusting crotch.

You've changed, man... you've changed...

Neil

Kinect Adventures is very disappointing, just full of quite bland mini-games.  It's only fun when you win the Living Statues, and make them talk like pimps, wihle doing The Dance.   

Surprised at their negative opinion to boxing!  God, it's great fun, but I really have been waiting for something like it for a long, long time.  Very satisfying to drop down and throw an uppercut, which completely knocks your opponest off his feet. 

I'll have to give bowling another go.  I should be working on the site today, and uploading the No Known Cure show I've finally finished restoring, but table tennis online is a ridiculous amount of fun, and excellent excercise. 

Captain Mildred

If it's getting down you're after Neil, Dance Central is definitely where it's at - as I believe the funky folk say.

I don't generally like that sort of thing, but it's great with a few drunken friends and technically very impressive.

As far as I can tell, there's only that and Sports worth getting at the mo.

The Ultimate Fighting trainer one sounds intriguing, if you're into your fisticuffs.

rudi

I'm interested in the boxing thing. How much room do you need to clear for it to work?

Neil

I've ended up rearranging my living room for Kinect.  You need a good 6 foot clear of the camera (which sits above or below the telly), and then a bit of space to prance about sideays.  I have cleared about 8 foot in front of the telly, although I'm a bit nervous about the fireplace being behind me, and I have about 6 foot in the other direction.  It's sadly not enough for two players, but I've found it perfect for single-player. 

rudi

Ah, OK, that can wait till the summer move then...