Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:30:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Terrible album covers

Started by Subtle Mocking, February 11, 2011, 04:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subtle Mocking

So yeah, that's the new Strokes album cover. There's making your product stand out and then there's...THAT.

And thus, we have a terrible album cover thread, try and better the above. I know you can.

Nelson Swillie

Okay, I'll play...

To be fair, it does reflect the contents of the album itself. Absolute pony.

The fact that I hate the Rolling Stones aside...what the bloody hell were they thinking?

Wrong in so many ways.

Dance Colin, dance!

This thread wouldn't be complete without this appalling effort from cocorosie:

Petey Pate

Oh man this is my kind of thread.

Not at all sexist...

Look Venetian Snares!

Chick Corea was a bad-ass piano player, but he had an awful taste in cover art.

I know he was blind but this is unexcusable.  Incidently (this isn't that bad a cover in my opinion)...

... a blind man in a box labelled "Handle with Care"?  Isn't that a bit insensitive?

Pretty much anything by this prog-rock super group and finally (for now)

http://lpcoverlover.com/ is one of my favourite websites.

Nelson Swillie

NoSleep

Quote from: Petey Pate on February 11, 2011, 05:02:27 PM

Chick Corea was a bad-ass piano player, but he had an awful taste in cover art.

Tell me more.

The Cloud of Unknowing

Some more of Hipgnosis's will-this-do efforts:

Additional material by Wakeman/Howe:

The 1970s, ver lads, etc:

Petey Pate

That's the actual cover art that was meant to come up. I don't know why that weird Smurf fetish thing was linked instead.

NoSleep

Subtle Mocking

Eis Nein

Clucking awful, and if memory serves revenge for a disgruntled contractor.

NoSleep

Quote from: Eis Nein on February 11, 2011, 06:30:04 PM

Clucking awful, and if memory serves revenge for a disgruntled contractor.

Reminds me of this:

Are they both referencing an earlier album sleeve?

PaulTMA

Subtle Mocking

Queneau

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: The Cloud of Unknowing on February 11, 2011, 06:16:13 PM
Some more of Hipgnosis's will-this-do efforts:

Wasn't that designed by the late, Anal Staircase-ascending, Peter Christopherson?

Tokyo Sexwhale

Who the fuck are Bunk Dogger?  They're so obscure they're not even on wikipedia.

Petey Pate

The Cloud of Unknowing

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on February 11, 2011, 09:08:38 PM
Wasn't that designed by the late, Anal Staircase-ascending, Peter Christopherson?
Apparently.  It's not particularly dreadful but I put it in to show how they were recycling it a year or two later with the Rundgren cover.
Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on February 11, 2011, 09:09:23 PM
Oh dear.
Posed by older models, but yeah.  Cheap and basic, but it's in line with some of the casual sexism that some Hipgnosis covers depicted in the 70s and 80s.
Quote from: Tokyo Sexwhale on February 11, 2011, 09:20:00 PM
Who the fuck are Bunk Dogger?  They're so obscure they're not even on wikipedia.
One bloke whose real name was Tim Phillips - the internet says he was a music writer.  A handful of his tunes are on youtube.

(There were more good covers than awful produced under the aegis of Hipgnosis, obviously.)

Serge

I don't know, Pink Floyd covers aside, I never really liked Hipgnosis. Even then, my favourite Floyd cover is 'Animals', which was originally a Roger Waters idea executed by Hipgnosis. Storm Thorgerson recently came up with this for a 7" by repeat offenders Biffy Clyro:

Which caused no end of merriment when it arrived in the shop.

The Scorpions, of course, managed a cover that was even worse than 'Animal Magnetism', but I'm not going to be damn fool enough to post it here. The album was called 'Virgin Killer' and both the original and replacement covers are on the Wikipedia entry.

Absorb the anus burn

If ever an album cover is less appropriate for the fantastic music contained within, it's this. Poor Mr. Gottsching. One of the greatest guitarists and a pioneer of house music... But what the feck was he thinking? I'd rather see a turd in a margarine tub.

^

Picture not loading. Fucking image shack! Google "Inventions For The Electric Guitar" if you want to see the monstrosity.

buttgammon

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on February 12, 2011, 12:33:39 AM

If ever an album cover is less appropriate for the fantastic music contained within, it's this. Poor Mr. Gottsching. One of the greatest guitarists and a pioneer of house music... But what the feck was he thinking? I'd rather see a turd in a margarine tub.

^

Picture not loading. Fucking image shack! Google "Inventions For The Electric Guitar" if you want to see the monstrosity.

Oh Christ, that is hideous. No wonder he ended up with the basic (but very appropriate) chessboard pattern for 'E2-E4'.

A pretty good album, not that anyone would know it from that monstrosity.

An tSaoi

We need to sort this recent toplessness epidemic on here.

PaulTMA

Can we ban stuff lifted from 'wacky crap album covers' sites please, quick, before someone posts Devastatin' Dave, Julie's 16th Birthday, lol lol lol 2004.

Storm Thorgerson is living proof that sleeve designers sure can lose it just like the geriatric artistes housed within his sleeves.

Anyway:

Danger Man

Quote from: PaulTMA on February 12, 2011, 09:58:13 AM
Can we ban stuff lifted from 'wacky crap album covers' sites please.

Donnie Saxe is crying.

Onwards....

lipsink

It looks like a photo at the top of a Radio Times article.

NoSleep

Quote from: lipsink on February 12, 2011, 10:33:39 AM

It looks like a photo at the top of a Radio Times article.

It's a picture of Iggy smiling, something you don't find many of before that period. It's something of a statement (and it is "news"), that was confirmed in interviews with him at the time; that he'd "stopped trying to succeed at being a loser" or similar.