Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:55:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Terrible album covers

Started by Subtle Mocking, February 11, 2011, 04:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I dunno - the concept is pretty artless, but it's well-executed. I'm just thinking about what an absolute pain in the arse it must have been to make something that seamless with late 80s (?) technology, so I can't really hate...

The Strokes cover that keeps turning up is (genuinely) lovely. It looks like an upscale maths textbook from 1983.

massive bereavement

The Cloud of Unknowing

You wouldn't know it from the dreadful cover (or maybe even if you heard the name Andrew Gold), but his pastiche of 1960s psychedelia[nb]inspired by The Dukes Of Stratosphear[/nb] is actually very good.

holyzombiejesus

That reminds me of these, that I spotted in a CD shop in Hebden Bridge (figures) a few years ago.

Funcrusher

Christ, how bad must the music be contained therein? All I know about Hebden Bridge is based on the excellent documentary 'Shed Your tears And Walk Away'. which did seem to suggest that products such as that would sell well there.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Funcrusher on March 04, 2011, 02:46:51 PM
Christ, how bad must the music be contained therein? All I know about Hebden Bridge is based on the excellent documentary 'Shed Your tears And Walk Away'. which did seem to suggest that products such as that would sell well there.

It's full of lesbians, hippies and small children named 'Apple' and 'Gentian'.

Famous Mortimer

I went to a B&B in Hebden Bridge once, and was let in by the owner's brother. It was, in a life not exactly full of celeb encounters, the doctor (vet?) fella from Emmerdale. He had a lot of Laurel and Hardy videos.

holyzombiejesus

It remains the only place where I have seen a dog, on a barge, wearing a cravat.

Nik Drou

I quite like that Beatles one up there.  This one, though...

...is ghastly.  It's like a horrible marriage of whimsy and cynicism.  What could it possibly mean?

Johnny Townmouse

She's the daughter of Frances Ruffelle from P'Tang Yang Kipperbang, fact fans.

Hebden Bridge is so heavily populated by the gays that it is known as the 'Brighton of the North'. I went there once and it just seemed depressingly middle-class.

Subtle Mocking

How many albums in 2010 had cats on the cover for no good reason?

Serge

This one

and this one

for a start, although they both represent Bethany Cosentino's actual cat, Snacks. I'm not making this up.

Subtle Mocking

Granted the last two aren't 2010, but there you go. Even Venetian Snares are doing it:

Johnny Townmouse

Yeah, it's annoying, but not as much as the constant use of Apes and Monkeys in popular and not-so popular culture from 1998-2008. Jesus christ, that was annoying from the out-set, by 2002 it would suicide inducing.

Suga Rape indeed.

SteveDave

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on March 04, 2011, 07:22:54 PM
She's the daughter of Frances Ruffelle from P'Tang Yang Kipperbang, fact fans.

& a right cunt according to my girlfriend

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: SteveDave on March 05, 2011, 09:57:43 AM
& a right cunt according to my girlfriend

The album cover is evidence in support of that view.

She may be a cunt, but she's a kooky cunt.

Retinend

HappyTree

Green and orange, yuk. And with pink lettering.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: HappyTree on March 05, 2011, 03:48:10 PM
Green and orange, yuk. And with pink lettering.

I had the displeasure of seeing this band in the early 90's. Awful. The lead singer is now in a 'steam-punk' band which is evidently less interesting than it may sound.

HappyTree

Yeah I saw them then too, most probably as support for Fields of the Nephilim. The bass player in my band was really into them, I suspect for shock value. I just remember the inside sleeve of one of their albums had a collage of photos of people with genital piercings, including one where the guy had had his penis completely split down the middle and then re-joined at the tip with a ring. I wonder what kind of set of life experiences one must have to make such a thing an appealing idea.

Doomy Dwyer

'What's the Matter Boy?'. What isn't the fucking matter more like, eh lads?!? A badly cropped photo of Vic pasted into a pink alleyway. What Freudian nightmare is this? Presumably the legendarily lazy Mr Goddard couldn't be persuaded to actually physically lurk in an alley, so an 'artists' impression would have to suffice. The back cover is equally monstrous -

A damnably good album, despite its aesthetic shortcomings though.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: HappyTree on March 06, 2011, 11:06:08 AM
Yeah I saw them then too, most probably as support for Fields of the Nephilim. The bass player in my band was really into them, I suspect for shock value. I just remember the inside sleeve of one of their albums had a collage of photos of people with genital piercings, including one where the guy had had his penis completely split down the middle and then re-joined at the tip with a ring. I wonder what kind of set of life experiences one must have to make such a thing an appealing idea.

When I saw the Neff live (my first ever gig), they were supported by the dreadful Bambi Slam. Cock Rock masquerading as indie-goth-rock.

Creaming Jesus straddled that unpleasant line between goth-rock and industrial-rock - they had all the scary imagery but not the sound to back it up.

stunted

Although I think Roy Harper saw it as a bit of a joke

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: The Cloud of Unknowing on February 27, 2011, 06:34:41 PM
You wouldn't know it from the dreadful cover (or maybe even if you heard the name Andrew Gold), but his pastiche of 1960s psychedelia[nb]inspired by The Dukes Of Stratosphear[/nb] is actually very good.

Is Andrew Gold related to Murray Gold of Doctor Who music composing fame?

Lee Van Cleef

Quote from: Funcrusher on March 04, 2011, 02:46:51 PMChrist, how bad must the music be contained therein?

From what I recall Bongzilla used to be fairly well regarded in Stoner Rock/Metal circles.  It obviously depends on how much you like that style of music, but eh.  They're stoners, I doubt they care what the artwork looks like, probably too busy eating cheetos.

HappyTree

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on March 06, 2011, 11:41:20 AM
When I saw the Neff live (my first ever gig)
Snap! They were my first ever gig too, in Edinburgh in 1990 I think. I then went following them with a friend around Middlesborough, Bradford and somewhere else around there. We went backstage and were both too scared to approach Carl McCoy, he just sat there brooding and being all magickal.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: HappyTree on March 06, 2011, 08:14:45 PM
Snap! They were my first ever gig too, in Edinburgh in 1990 I think. I then went following them with a friend around Middlesborough, Bradford and somewhere else around there. We went backstage and were both too scared to approach Carl McCoy, he just sat there brooding and being all magickal.

Did you wear flour? That was in the days when all the smelly bands had big groups of fans who followed them everywhere. What was FOTN's called? New Model Army had The Militia, The Mission had The Eskimos, I think even guff like The Bolshoi and Gene Loves Jezebel had one. They used to hitch everywhere with big green army kitbags and write their names on the signs at service stations. Ha ha!

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: HappyTree on March 06, 2011, 08:14:45 PM

I saw them in London in 1989 (I think). I was 14 so I didn't understand the whole concert thing - even though we had tickets, me and my (flour dusted) mate got to the Brixton Academy at 1pm, because I thought that's how early you got to gigs. 7 hours later and the doors open. We were at the front, but that meant little such was the resulting militant neff crowd who forced us half way back from the stage.

I can imagine McCoy was a full-time ponce - the rest of the band are delightful apparently.

HappyTree

Yes I did wear flour :-D I remember us buying some in M&S in Princes Street and chucking it all over ourselves before we went in. For hitching around the north of England I kitted myself out in the regulation army boots, combat trousers and army kit bag. We tried to get in with the other hardcore followers but I was too naive and scared and had never drunk or smoked or taken anything so we kinda hung around the edges. I found them all to be a bit aggressive and of course there was a hierarchy for how hardcore a fan you were. We slept one night underneath the town hall in Middlesborough, or tried to until someone broke into the store and stole a whole load of crisps. So we legged it and ended up in the train station.

It was an interesting experience for a 20 year-old middle-class pansy who had never been away from home before. Oh those English ruffians and their smelly dreads! "Crusties" they were called, I think.