Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:56:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Terrible album covers

Started by Subtle Mocking, February 11, 2011, 04:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee Van Cleef

I read on a forum that this is the artwork for the new Morbid Angel album...

PaulTMA

The creative wunderkind that is the morbidly obese, contemporary white Lighthouse Family-soundalikes Elbow, waddles towards it's commercial and artistic zenith with a front cover that displays all of the catharsis that could alternately be provided by a 1987 Prudential building society logo designed by children with cerebral palsy.   The synchronicity of the sheer blandness married by both their music and visuals can only be compared to such cultural landmarks such as Jocasta's 'No Coincidence' CD sleeve and Level 42's post-Mike Lindup era.

PaulTMA

Having said that, much support can be offered if the aforementioned 'Build A Rocket Boys!' capaign has anything to do with the fat cunts' proposed campaign to be the first band on the sun.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: PaulTMA on March 10, 2011, 12:57:31 AM
The creative wunderkind that is the morbidly obese, contemporary white Lighthouse Family-soundalikes Elbow,

?? Elbow sound nothing like the Lighthouse Family

imitationleather

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 10, 2011, 01:39:40 AM
?? Elbow sound nothing like the Lighthouse Family

I assume it refers to how both bands are so bland that them not existing at all would be more musically interesting than their current states.

Crabwalk

He specifically says 'sound-a-likes' though which is bollocks. Unless the new album is a significant departure.

Retinend

Would be a really effective image if the stupid font and alignment which made me think it was a bootleg when I first bought it on CD. The image unmolested by text would have looked fantastic, but then again I really like covers which don't feature any words on the front at all.

NoSleep

I think the bad alignment is something of an optical illusion. The typeface is a typical 70s font (ripping on the 30s). Looks like a Letraset job, but I don't remember that typeface, so it might have been specially designed.

REVEEN!

Retinend

I'd say it belongs in this thread

Retinend

Gulftastic

Things were different before photo-shop...

REVEEN!

Quote from: Retinend on March 13, 2011, 05:27:16 AM
I'd say it belongs in this thread
If there was a 'So bad they're good album covers' thread I'd have put it in there.

Quote from: Retinend on March 13, 2011, 06:41:24 AM
Any connection to
?
'Shit Shark Sandwich' was fictionally released in the same year (1980) so possibly. Could be that all the covers of The Tap's fictional albums are take offs of real albums or more likely it could just be a coincidence.

NoSleep

Quote from: Gulftastic on March 13, 2011, 12:27:38 PM

Things were different before photo-shop...

from the lyrics:
Quotecall my name now for quick reaction

I wonder if the artist came up with the idea after being asked to utilise a photo of two guys clearly not in any hurry?

The Cloud of Unknowing

Quote from: REVEEN! on March 13, 2011, 12:35:10 PM
If there was a 'So bad they're good album covers' thread I'd have put it in there.

Add Nylon Degrees, Norman Gunston's response to Boz Scaggs.

PaulTMA

Quote from: Crabwalk on March 10, 2011, 10:20:10 AM
He specifically says 'sound-a-likes' though which is bollocks. Unless the new album is a significant departure.

Yeah, I bet it really sounds more advanced than the Turin Brakes-meets Beverly Craven cathedral of sound as promised by David Hepworth in this months zzz  zzz  spspspspszsps.

Crabwalk

So you're criticising this album which you haven't heard on the basis of a review you haven't read? No wonder your comparisons are so far off target. Which Elbow songs are you familiar with exactly?

Back on topic:

The only excuse for this would be that it's a satire on ugly, heavy-handed social commentary from a very smart band. Mmm...

Johnny Townmouse

As an Elbow fan I have to say I completely understand listener's problem with them. They can tend towards the banal, and they do feel the need to include at least one 'Anthemic Song for BBC Idents' on each album. I can see how this positions them in the role of chief suckers of satan's cock. On the other hand, they are capable of producing songs of extroadinary beauty, with lyrics to match.

Anyway, Bad Seeds album sleeves are generally pretty shit (for me, Murder Ballads is an exception). But this was the shitting icing on a very shitty sandwich. Awful album, reflected in the effort gone into producing this 'art work'.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Crabwalk on March 15, 2011, 10:03:46 AM
So you're criticising this album which you haven't heard on the basis of a review you haven't read? No wonder your comparisons are so far off target. Which Elbow songs are you familiar with exactly?

I've now listened to the new Elbow album a fair few times and can confirm that it is, in fact, boring shit. Thanks Elbow.

Famous Mortimer

This man has done sterling work in the bizarre album cover genre, and there's some gems among his posts:

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/tony-coulters-posts/

CaledonianGonzo

Was just going to post that. 

Well - either in here or in the Photoshop Disasters thread.

Subtle Mocking

That glimmer on top of the R is the icing on the turd really. Ruddy awful.

Subtle Mocking

That's the new Arctic Monkeys cover. Lazy AND pretentious.

Serge

Here he goes again:

Another best of Steven? Why, you're spoiling us. And with a cover that nearly out-shits 'Swords'? Terrific.

jonnycuba

Always makes me laugh, it's the deely boppers.

Retinend

Eis Nein

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on April 20, 2011, 05:28:42 PMthe new Arctic Monkeys cover. Lazy AND pretentious.

Another turdbrick in the shit cathedral of things they do.

Fabian Thomsett

Why I never got into MEHTAL