Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:31:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Terrible album covers

Started by Subtle Mocking, February 11, 2011, 04:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milky

A rather tenuous attempt to stick a swastika on an album for lols. Oh Douglas.

purlieu

Douglas "Nazis were so amazing, weren't they fascinating? Nazis! Look at all this Nazi symbolism! Look, my album cover has a Nazi symbol on it! I'm not a Nazi, honest" Pearce.

Not that he's got a great history of good album covers

itsfredtitmus

ive never listened to anything neo-folk because i know it'll all sound as fucking corny as the aesthetics

Epic Bisto

Neo-folk = UKIPers with acoustic guitars and a CD of madrigals.

popcorn

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 19, 2018, 03:59:24 PM

Quote from: Wikipedia
A number of critics have noted the bizarre sources of inspiration behind some of the songs. As mentioned, some lines were lifted from old Humphrey Bogart pictures, but at least a few were taken from the sci-fi television show, Star Trek. Author Clinton Heylin wrote that "one of the best couplets—"I'll go along with the charade / Until I can think my way out' (from "Tight Connection to My Heart")—actually comes verbatim from a Star Trek episode, 'Squire of Gothos'."

marquis_de_sad

Whenever I think of Death in June I think of this story from Stewart Home about Tony Wakeford:

Quote from: Stewart HomeI have heard descriptions of Tony Wakeford's south London council flat which are every bit as disgusting as [Boyd Rice's]. I've also been told a woman who was staying for a time in Wakeford's spare bedroom was so appalled by the mess she set about spring cleaning. The toilet was in such a state she coated it with caustic soda and went to bed intending to clean the caustic soda and encrusted shit off in the morning. Wakeford got up in the night and sat down on the toilet, because he is so fat he sank down and got caustic soda all over his balls, causing him to scream in agony for hours. This incident may even have been the inspiration for the Whitehouse song "My Cock's On Fire".

kngen

That is incredible! What Home tome is that from? I find his work to be 'fatiguing' but if it's got gems like that in it, I may have reconsider!

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: kngen on January 20, 2018, 02:31:57 PM
What Home tome is that from?

His website, you can read it here. He writes will real clarity and humour about fascist goons, partly I think because he wants the message to get across more than he wants to troll art, academia and radical politics.

purlieu

Tibet always seems pretty embarrassed about almost everything he did in the late '80s, and I don't think he's had any connections with Wakeford, Read or Pearce since about 1993. I've never been entirely sure if the other lot are really Nazis or just fucking idiots, although from what I know, Ian Read and Freya Aswynn were pretty fucking awful back in the day.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: purlieu on January 20, 2018, 07:49:08 PM
Tibet always seems pretty embarrassed about almost everything he did in the late '80s, and I don't think he's had any connections with Wakeford, Read or Pearce since about 1993. I've never been entirely sure if the other lot are really Nazis or just fucking idiots, although from what I know, Ian Read and Freya Aswynn were pretty fucking awful back in the day.

According to Douglas P they broke contact in 2002, but he's a liar so who knows. I don't know how you could go from being on an EP called 1888 then completely turn your back on fascist ideas, but I think it's fair to give Tibet the benefit of the doubt seeing as it's been so long. Pretty safe to assume the others are still fascists, though.

jobotic

I do like a bit of Current 93 but I'm a bit wary. Mind you I've seen Tibet with Nurse With Wound. Stapleton was never involved in all that shit was he?

Boyd Rice has made some great records but I'll never pay for them Ha Nazi.

marquis_de_sad

Oh and I forgot, Tibet has worked with Richard Moult as recently as 2011.* Moult is a Neo-Nazi Satanist who used to be in the Order of the Nine Angles. Like Tibet, these days he flirts with Christianity.

* recorded in 2008, but released with hand-written lyrics by Tibet in 2011

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: jobotic on January 20, 2018, 09:21:12 PMMind you I've seen Tibet with Nurse With Wound. Stapleton was never involved in all that shit was he?

Don't think so.

kngen

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on January 20, 2018, 03:09:15 PM
His website, you can read it here. He writes will real clarity and humour about fascist goons, partly I think because he wants the message to get across more than he wants to troll art, academia and radical politics.

Nice one - ta!

purlieu

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on January 20, 2018, 09:48:52 PM
Oh and I forgot, Tibet has worked with Richard Moult as recently as 2011.* Moult is a Neo-Nazi Satanist who used to be in the Order of the Nine Angles. Like Tibet, these days he flirts with Christianity.

* recorded in 2008, but released with hand-written lyrics by Tibet in 2011
Ah, this is a bit disappointing. I assumed he'd cut all ties. He certainly seems to work with a lot of decent people these days and by all accounts seems to be a really warm, caring person, so that's a shame. He's actually been a fairly heavy-going Christian since the '90s (1998's Soft Black Stars was about him turning his back on, and regretting, his earlier interest in magick and all that), although tends to be mostly interested in the more heretical ends of it - gnosticism seems to be a recurring theme in his music and studies.

Quote from: jobotic on January 20, 2018, 09:21:12 PM
Mind you I've seen Tibet with Nurse With Wound. Stapleton was never involved in all that shit was he?
Nah, he absolutely hated the whole thing. He's spoken about how awful he found neofolk and most of the people in the scene. His role in Current 93 was one that made them so much more interesting than the others, by making the music atmospheric and strange. That and the guitar work of Michael Cashmore, who could actually play guitar rather than strumming the same four chords like every other bloody neofolk group does.

itsfredtitmus

why are these magic cunt weirdos always nazis?

Ferris

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on January 22, 2018, 11:40:53 PM

I saw Magic Cunt Weirdos support the Unicorns in Glossop circa 2008. I preferred the original lineup but they were still pretty good as I recall.

Mr Banlon

JoeyBananaduck

"Zzzzzzzeeeeeeeee.................

Fucking hell, I can't believe I belched the whole alphabet!"

jobotic

Quote from: purlieu on January 22, 2018, 11:34:36 PM

Nah, he absolutely hated the whole thing. He's spoken about how awful he found neofolk and most of the people in the scene. His role in Current 93 was one that made them so much more interesting than the others, by making the music atmospheric and strange. That and the guitar work of Michael Cashmore, who could actually play guitar rather than strumming the same four chords like every other bloody neofolk group does.

Phew! I thought this was the case. Current 93 are playing with NWW later this year. I kind of wish the billing was the other way round though.

http://www.old-empire.co.uk/events/2018/10/13/current-93-nurse-with-wound-shepherds-bush-empire

BlodwynPig

Quote from: TheMonk on January 23, 2018, 10:00:18 AM
Good lord.

The first album I was exposed to as a child.

he's just retired due to Parkinson's too. Surely that cover hinted at this outcome?

holyzombiejesus

That Neil Diamond cover is great.

Spoon of Ploff

TNT by Tortoise

I mean... come on.

DrGreggles

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on January 22, 2018, 11:40:53 PM
It's sort of grimly amusing to watch public mockery of their garbage Nazism force them to pretend they're just interested in ancient culture, or paganism, or some bollocks.

wosl

Quote from: Milky on January 19, 2018, 11:25:53 PM

A rather tenuous attempt to stick a swastika on an album for lols. Oh Douglas.

Dreadful conceptually of course, but the colours and tonal balance are nice on this; it has a unifying dull sheen quality that makes it look a bit like an inlaid design (which might be down to qualities inherent in the pic; in the flesh the cover itself might be more disagreeable). 

NoSleep

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on January 24, 2018, 12:03:57 PM
TNT by Tortoise

I mean... come on.

That's a great cover; one of my favourites. The whole packaging is based on what you would expect to find with a CDR in a jewel case (apart from the actual CD).

purlieu

Yourcodenameis:milo went with a similar theme, and although the overall art was a bit too fancy, they got the disc right:

itsfredtitmus

feel like we've going to look back on bandcamp bands the same we do with Yourcodenameis:milo nowadays