Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:54:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Terrible album covers

Started by Subtle Mocking, February 11, 2011, 04:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

I'm not sure it is a pastiche. I am quite fond of it though.

And it pisses all over their second offering (although another good record)

alan nagsworth

Quote from: jobotic on February 07, 2019, 04:57:56 PM

Good record though

No, you're right, it's crap. Bad design choices and little errors that make it look cheap.

Ferris

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 07, 2019, 05:04:01 PM
That's a brilliant sleeve. I presume it's supposed to be a pastiche of a variety bill poster? Or boxing?

I also have to presume it's an accurate pastiche - which I admit would affect how good or bad it is.

Pastiche or no, it's still amazing. I'm trying to pick my favourite pose, but they're all great.

jobotic

I feel a bit bad now. Used to listen to this round my dad's when I was a teenager. It really is good. And I used to really like that cover unironically.

Ferris

Quote from: jobotic on February 07, 2019, 10:32:05 PM
I feel a bit bad now. Used to listen to this round my dad's when I was a teenager. It really is good. And I used to really like that cover unironically.

I unironically think it is great.

PlanktonSideburns

Ferris

jobotic

Keith's dead now. Have some respect.

PowerButchi

jobotic

These are My Mountains

and this is Myfanwy

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

wosl

olliebean

"Buy direct from the artist" - this of course is the only way to get all the best artists' albums.

ToneLa

BlodwynPig

Quote from: olliebean on February 09, 2019, 07:21:49 PM
"Buy direct from the artist" - this of course is the only way to get all the best artists' albums.

He does promise A WORLD OF MUSIC

purlieu

It's unfortunate that Mick has such heavy legs that he tends to sink into the ground when posing for cover photos.

PowerButchi

His videos are up there with his album art. Watch as he shouts at an old woman somewhere in the Lakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-383iQHNDE

BlodwynPig

See that footpath she is walking down - I had a blazing row with my wife on that path 3 years ago.

olliebean

Quote from: PowerButchi on February 10, 2019, 01:57:17 AM
His videos are up there with his album art. Watch as he shouts at an old woman somewhere in the Lakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-383iQHNDE

Sung over an instrumental MIDI version of the song in which he hasn't even bothered to mute the melody line, so his singing is doubled by a crap-sounding synthesised saxophone throughout. Also what's with the fade-out just when the song was going to end anyway?

NoSleep

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 07, 2019, 05:04:01 PM
That's a brilliant sleeve.

It's been established that nobody here knows what a bad record sleeve looks like.

NoSleep

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 07, 2019, 07:01:58 PM
No, you're right, it's crap. Bad design choices and little errors that make it look cheap.

It's a digitally cleaned up version of the original I think. Looks fine on the original LP sleeve with all the little imperfections of the printing process.

Ferris

Quote from: NoSleep on February 11, 2019, 11:28:31 AM
It's been established that nobody here knows what a bad record sleeve looks like.

We should set a baseline we can all agree is terrible. Here's my shout.

If we all agree, we can start using a scale. "Woo what a stinker - easily five MegaHarrisons!" you'll say. Alternatively, we could describe albums as a Cloud 1-9, with "a Cloud-9" being the worst, and "a Cloud-1" being basically fine.

NoSleep

See... that isn't bad at all... it's perfunctory. Especially important is that the name of the artist and album are set at the top of the artwork to facilitate easy identification when you're flipping through CDs or LPs in a record rack. And then it's just a picture of the artist... standard.

purlieu

It's perfectly acceptable from a design perspective. The aesthetic choices are horrible, of course, but I have a feeling at the time they were probably considered rather fetching.

Ferris

Quote from: NoSleep on February 11, 2019, 11:28:31 AM

Quote from: NoSleep on February 14, 2019, 10:15:56 AM
See... that isn't bad at all...

Quote from: purlieu on February 14, 2019, 10:55:29 AM
It's perfectly acceptable from a design perspective.

Look at it. Look at it. I have nothing more to add, it is a terrible cover regardless of whether or not it has the record name and artist on it. I like Led Zep IV and that has no text at all, but no one would consider that a bad cover.

Think on, folks - think on.

NoSleep

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 14, 2019, 11:32:23 AM
I like Led Zep IV and that has no text at all, but no one would consider that a bad cover.

A good example of an exception which proves the rule; major artist, high profile at the time, guaranteed to sell by the bucketload, flaunts the rules.