Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:53:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Terrible album covers

Started by Subtle Mocking, February 11, 2011, 04:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 11, 2019, 07:44:05 PM
We should set a baseline we can all agree is terrible. Here's my shout.

If we all agree, we can start using a scale. "Woo what a stinker - easily five MegaHarrisons!" you'll say. Alternatively, we could describe albums as a Cloud 1-9, with "a Cloud-9" being the worst, and "a Cloud-1" being basically fine.

I like it. It's a good cover. The shades and grin and shirt are snazzy. Everything about it is snazzy. And the background has clouds which tie in with the name of the album.

Ferris

Quote from: NoSleep on February 14, 2019, 11:51:29 AM
A good example of an exception which proves the rule; major artist, high profile at the time, guaranteed to sell by the bucketload, flaunts the rules.

Fair point on Zep, but I still reckon an album cover can be shit (lazy, ugly, poor concept etc) even if it is perfunctory. That George Harrison one is a decent example.

You have a reasonable argument though - if the thread title was "inept album covers" (as it is in the "inept film posters" thread) I wouldn't have a leg to stand on (because that cover is not inept). As it is, I think it's a good baseline of bad album cover, and my original point stands. It isn't the worst cover ever by any stretch, but it's definitely a fit within the confines of this thread.

NoSleep

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 14, 2019, 12:06:35 PMIt isn't the worst cover ever by any stretch

The name of the thread is "Terrible Album Covers".

Ferris

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on February 14, 2019, 11:55:56 AM
I like it. It's a good cover. The shades and grin and shirt are snazzy. Everything about it is snazzy. And the background has clouds which tie in with the name of the album.

I despair.

The CaB hive mind can still surprise with it's blind spots, sometimes. This is like the time I suggested ABBA in the "naff artists" thread, and the Benny & Bjorn Defence League logged on from Stockholm to vociferously argue their case.

ABBA are the definition of naff, and that cover is awful. QED.

Ferris

Quote from: NoSleep on February 14, 2019, 12:08:38 PM
The name of the thread is "Terrible Album Covers".

It's not the worst, but it's deffo terrible. That's why I thought it made a good baseline for the thread.

I'll stop arguing the point now though - I don't want to clog up the thread attacking an album I actually quite like.

NoSleep

Like I said... it's a very standard album cover, not terrible. It would be perfect for a thread entitled "Boring album covers".

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 14, 2019, 11:32:23 AM

Regrettable photo of your dad on holiday that's shown for a laugh when he's a contestant on 1991 Generation Game episode.

Rizla

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 14, 2019, 12:09:32 PM

ABBA are the definition of naff, and that cover is awful. QED.

What the hell is wrong with you? ABBA are brilliant, and that album cover says "Hey, it's 1987 and Beatle George is back with an awesome album full of upbeat chart-bound crackers, let's have a party!"

Mr Banlon

phantom_power

Quote from: NoSleep on February 14, 2019, 12:16:35 PM
Like I said... it's a very standard album cover, not terrible. It would be perfect for a thread entitled "Boring album covers".

It looks like a cheap compilation album, one of those "Platinum Collection" or whatever ones you get from service stations. It is fuck-awful

NoSleep

Quote from: Mr Banlon on February 14, 2019, 01:34:33 PM

In the light of the censorship going on in Brazil at the time, that's probably some symbolism by Chico Buarque on the military dictatorship that had taken over Brazil a couple of years before. 5 years later Buarque would write the most renown song to Brazilians to this day; Construcao which was a veiled criticism of the dictatorship via the story of a construction worker hurling himself to his death from the building he is working on. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constru%C3%A7%C3%A3o_%28song%29

So yeah, it may be indicative of something terrible.

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: PowerButchi on February 10, 2019, 01:57:17 AM
His videos are up there with his album art. Watch as he shouts at an old woman somewhere in the Lakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-383iQHNDE

Mick's power stance is laughable compared to the awesomeness that is Mark Gormley . Also, I think he's leaning against that tree to stop from falling over.

jobotic

Quote from: NoSleep on February 14, 2019, 01:52:04 PM
In the light of the censorship going on in Brazil at the time, that's probably some symbolism by Chico Buarque on the military dictatorship that had taken over Brazil a couple of years before. 5 years later Buarque would write the most renown song to Brazilians to this day; Construcao which was a veiled criticism of the dictatorship via the story of a construction worker hurling himself to his death from the building he is working on. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constru%C3%A7%C3%A3o_%28song%29

So yeah, it may be indicative of something terrible.

That's a great cover whatever the context. I know I'm one to talk but you fucked up Mr Banlon.

NoSleep

Quote from: phantom_power on February 14, 2019, 01:43:41 PM
It looks like a cheap compilation album, one of those "Platinum Collection" or whatever ones you get from service stations. It is fuck-awful.

Military dictatorships are fuck-awful. The George Harrison cover is merely the work of a hack.

Spoon of Ploff

I'm not sure enough coverage has been given to the genre that is Christian Rock.... is Christian Rock a genre??

Anyway... What would Jesus think of this?

NoSleep

Jesus would have thought that using airbrush in 1981 was a becoming a bit dated.

BlodwynPig

It reminded me of a krautrock album cover but the closest I could think of was this

which is not that close

samadriel

Quote from: Mr Banlon on February 14, 2019, 01:34:33 PM

Hey now, that's great.  One for the "album covers in which one of them farted" thread.

Ferris

wosl

Quote from: NoSleep on February 14, 2019, 12:16:35 PMLike I said... it's a very standard album cover, not terrible. It would be perfect for a thread entitled "Boring album covers".

You could argue that it flirts with terrible - something as insipid and of-its-time and within-safe-boundaries as that can make you despair at times, but no, it's not terrible in terms of it being a botch-job.  It's competently and perfunctorily done, and, and you say, unremarkable in every way.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 11, 2019, 07:44:05 PM
We should set a baseline we can all agree is terrible. Here's my shout.

That reminded me of this

which then reminded me of this

wosl

purlieu

And thus the Terrible Album Covers moebius strip returns to its starting point.

phantom_power

Quote from: NoSleep on February 14, 2019, 01:54:53 PM
Military dictatorships are fuck-awful. The George Harrison cover is merely the work of a hack.

Really? You're going with that as a counter-punch? Well genocide is really bad so by comparison all album covers are pretty good.

I will revise my opinion then to say that it is fuck-awful, as album covers go (as if that really needed saying)

NoSleep

I mentioned military dictatorships because of the Chico Buarque misrepresentation as a bad album cover.

Quote from: phantom_power on February 14, 2019, 05:33:24 PMI will revise my opinion then to say that it is fuck-awful, as album covers go (as if that really needed saying)

As album covers go it's OK. Really just OK.

The Boxer one that duncandisorderly posted a while back (as did I before him) is truly terrible in comparison.

phantom_power

Yes, all album covers should look like they were knocked up on Photoshop in 5 minutes by my dad. At least that Boxer album cover tells you something about the artist

NoSleep

Quote from: phantom_power on February 14, 2019, 05:52:40 PM
Yes, all album covers should look like they were knocked up on Photoshop in 5 minutes by my dad.

Why not? Album art these days is hardly important enough to spend money on if it's only going on your iPhone on random shuffle.

QuoteAt least that Boxer album cover tells you something about the artist

I now know that George Harrison plays guitar, whereas all I can assume about Boxer is that they are clueless cunts (possibly the inspiration for Spinal Tap's Smell The Glove).

QDRPHNC

I have to side with FWB, that George Harrison album cover is fucking terrible. And if you have to ask why, you'll never know.

Howj Begg

I like the Chico Buarque cover. Also, he looks like Franco Citti, which is good: