Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:37:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Terrible album covers

Started by Subtle Mocking, February 11, 2011, 04:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 14, 2019, 06:54:56 PM
I have to side with FWB, that George Harrison album cover is fucking terrible. And if you have to ask why, you'll never know.

Ah, I see. Boring is the new terrible. It's a cover for an album called Cloud Nine and George looks as happy as Iggy does on the cover of Lust For Life; job done (will make a nice 100 x 100 avatar for when the album comes up on iTunes).

NoSleep

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 14, 2019, 06:54:56 PM
And if you have to ask why, you'll never know.

I only studied graphic design for four years and received a diploma at Ravensbourne, so perhaps I should defer to you.

Ferris

purlieu

The problem people are seeing with it are the aesthetic choices of the era. The shirt is nasty, the 'dramatic clouds' background is poor, the font choices are tasteless, the underlining bit with slightly different colour clouds is really naff. But I don't think it goes beyond naff. It's just a badly aged relic of the late '80s.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: NoSleep on February 14, 2019, 07:45:31 PM
Ah, I see. Boring is the new terrible. It's a cover for an album called Cloud Nine and George looks as happy as Iggy does on the cover of Lust For Life; job done (will make a nice 100 x 100 avatar for when the album comes up on iTunes).

No, it's terrible.

Quote from: purlieu on February 14, 2019, 08:09:42 PM
The problem people are seeing with it are the aesthetic choices of the era.

Yeah, I figured someone would say that, but it's not true.

purlieu

Other than an (understandable) aversion to 'guitarist holding guitar in promo shot', I can't see what else is so bad with it. It's unimaginative but functional.

Ferris

Let's just drop it. I didn't realize this was so controversial.

NoSleep

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 14, 2019, 08:17:40 PM
No, it's terrible.

No... the artwork for News Of The World by Queen is terrible.

QDRPHNC

Yes it is, but Cloud Nine is worse. It's ok that you can't understand why, we don't have to agree.

wosl

Quote from: NoSleep on February 14, 2019, 08:30:57 PMNo... the artwork for Made In Heaven or The Miracle or Hot Space News Of The World by Queen is terrible.

Fixed

NoSleep

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 14, 2019, 08:31:49 PM
Yes it is, but Cloud Nine is worse. It's ok that you can't understand why, we don't have to agree.

I don't get this "don't understand". It's a really bog standard boring album cover; it's no standard to measure terrible by when there are dog's dinners like News Of The World out there.

NoSleep

Quote from: wosl on February 14, 2019, 08:40:01 PM
Fixed

They've had more than their fair share of bad album covers, sure.

holyzombiejesus

I looked at 3 random pages (8, 34 and 43 because of the time of the last post) and each one had a cover far worse than that GH one. Pg 43 had 2!

QDRPHNC

I'm not saying there aren't worse covers in the world.

I'm saying it's terrible.

BlodwynPig

Glebe

Crabwalk

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 11, 2019, 07:44:05 PM

I don't know about terrible, but it's demonstrably half arsed, as indicated by the lights reflecting in George's lenses. Really slapdash.

Glebe

Mr Banlon

Rocksteady Crew looking like the Kwik Fit children's entertainment department.

buzby

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 14, 2019, 10:41:33 PM
I don't know about terrible, but it's demonstrably half arsed, as indicated by the lights reflecting in George's lenses. Really slapdash.
It was designed by guitarist David Costa (ex of folk band trees) who went on to be Elton John's art director from goodbye Yellow Brick Road onwards and also did Night At The Opera and Day At The Races for Queen. Like most things Harrison of that era, he seems to have got the gig via being mates with Jeff Lynne (he did the collage sleeve for ELO's Secret Messages, and also did all the Travelling Wilburys releases). The photograph was by renowned rock photographer Gered Mankowitz.

The title of the album actually came after the cover photo had been taken. Harrison didn't want it to be named after one of the songs but none of the other titles they could think of worked - it was going to be called 'Fab' at one point (which again referenced one of the songs on it). In the end because they needed to get the record out and there were clouds in the cover photo he called it Cloud Nine. The CD booklet includes what looks like Harrison's original proof sketch of what the cover should look like (which used IMHO a better photo from the session than the one they ended up using):

Given the talents of the people involved it does have a bit of 'Will this do?' about it.

NoSleep

But it's just an album cover. Of course it'll do. I'm sure they were far more concerned about what the videos looked like in 1987, rather than the tiny picture on the front of a jewel case.

Mantle Retractor

A trio of recent released horrors, I am unable to choose which one offends me the most:

Bryan Adams: Shine a Light

Stella Donnelly: Beware of The Dogs

Julia Jacklin: Crushing

Pauline Walnuts

Faye Webster

imitationleather

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Mantle Retractor on March 08, 2019, 07:43:22 PM
A trio of recent released horrors, I am unable to choose which one offends me the most:

I quite like all three of these. Only problem with the Adams one is that he's not glossy enough. Should have done a 3d model of him, lost the makeup texture.

gilbertharding

I know we're all having fun and all, but can we please, please, PLEASE try, when posting images - especially on this thread, to set the width limit so the image appears on the screen properly?

Remember: [ IMG width=300 ]. It's easy.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Mantle Retractor on March 08, 2019, 07:43:22 PM
A trio of recent released horrors, I am unable to choose which one offends me the most

I don't mind any of them, but:

Julia Jacklin: Crushing

Looks like she's on the bog.