Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:15:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Terrible album covers

Started by Subtle Mocking, February 11, 2011, 04:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Quote from: jobotic on October 31, 2019, 12:29:12 AM
Great album though. And at least it's not a beaten up girl like another of his records, by the bloke who did an awful Noise/Girl album cover , which is also a great record.

I'm rather embarrassed to admit I have a Trevor Brown book on my shelf.

But yeah a lot of VS album covers are terrible. Detrimentalist is particularly naff. Can't be arsed to find it, too tired

olliebean

Quote from: alan nagsworth on October 31, 2019, 07:45:21 AM
I'm rather embarrassed to admit I have a Trevor Brown book on my shelf.

Just did an image search for Trevor Brown, and... there's a bit of a theme, isn't there?

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: famethrowa on October 30, 2019, 11:29:11 PM
The "classic" Peavey guitar is a T-something else, right? I remember reading about the but can't remember if people liked them or not.

Anyway, I'm greatly amused that there's a song called "Tit Elation". Fnarrr.

Guitar is the T-60, bass is T-40. Both good, but very heavy. Physically, not metaphorically.

NJ Uncut

I'm doing a primal scream about this cover, alright

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 11, 2019, 05:49:04 AM
And it, like all his consecutive works, was just a big ole' crib from Rene Magritte. What a knobfucker Thorgerson was, honestly. Such an unpleasant seeming man from every interview I saw.

We could have a game, Magritte or Thorgerson?

Ferris

^these are all amazing covers

samadriel

I was surprised to learn that Thorgerson was the artist behind Ween's "The Mollusk". It seems like a huge departure for him, and definitely in a good way.

popcorn

I have just rediscovered the absolute banger that is Evolution, the 2002 hit by J-pop megastar Ayumi Hamasaki. I had never seen the album art before.

This one, from 1999, seems Problematic.

I like this one though. It's still trash but it's fun and sexy trash.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: popcorn on November 03, 2019, 02:51:59 PM
I have just rediscovered the absolute banger that is Evolution, the 2002 hit by J-pop megastar Ayumi Hamasaki. I had never seen the album art before.

This one, from 1999, seems Problematic.

I like this one though. It's still trash but it's fun and sexy trash.

I've just got into her stuff... a lot of 'j-pop' artists have quite a varied back catalogue that veers wildly into obscure territory (vapourwave, prog rock, metal). Anyway, the problematic cover also has a 'whitened' version too (or that may be an accompanying single).

Glebe

H-O-W-L

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on November 03, 2019, 11:53:24 AM
We could have a game, Magritte or Thorgerson?

BIG IMAGES

I could wax for nine paragraphs about why Magritte is magical compared to Thorgerson's dull bullshit but I think it'd be preaching to the choir. You can tell Magritte actually had a sense of humor, compared to Thorgerson.

idunnosomename

Also Magritte was never a brilliant painter (i saw a monograph exhibition at tate liverpool a few years back) but he's better at his craft than those shitty chop jobs. Look at the state of the birds flying out. Thats not surreal. Its just shit

kngen

Quote from: H-O-W-L on November 04, 2019, 08:24:59 AM
I could wax for nine paragraphs about why Magritte is magical compared to Thorgerson's dull bullshit but I think it'd be preaching to the choir.

Can you tell me why this filled me with existential horror when I was a child (and still freaks me out a bit 40-odd years later)?

purlieu

Mm, there is something quite horrifying about that.

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: kngen on November 04, 2019, 08:25:13 PM
Can you tell me why this filled me with existential horror when I was a child (and still freaks me out a bit 40-odd years later)?

I dunno.... Penises?

idunnosomename

Because it's true surrealism: juxtaposition of two perfectly ordinary things but that is ultimately disturbing

Chicago lent that to Tate Liverpool in 2011 so ive seen the original. Also yes dicks.

alan nagsworth

yeah, lots to try and calculate in that very simple combination of things: why is it small, why is it coming out of there, how is it coming out of there, where is it going, where did it come from... all questions that can't be answered

although i bet a trainspotter just fucking looks at the clock on the mantle and mentally notes that the thing's 48 seconds behind schedule and makes a little grunt noise and writes it down and that's it

grassbath

It's also kinda creepy how the mirror is reflecting almost nothing. There's the suggestion that the rest of the room is just an endless void of floorboards and murky pink walls.

kngen

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 04, 2019, 10:32:48 PM
where did it come from...

I think that's the main one for me. And penises, obviously.

purlieu

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 04, 2019, 10:32:48 PM
yeah, lots to try and calculate in that very simple combination of things: why is it small, why is it coming out of there, how is it coming out of there, where is it going, where did it come from... all questions that can't be answered
Where are the fucking tracks
Quotealthough i bet a trainspotter just fucking looks at the clock on the mantle and mentally notes that the thing's 48 seconds behind schedule and makes a little grunt noise and writes it down and that's it
As a trainspotter, I can vouch that this did not happen. I did wonder why it's still running though, the out of date steam bastard. Get a fucking class 68 on there mate.

alan nagsworth

It's class 37 or nowt for me I'm afraid.

I didn't know you were a trainspotter, by the way. I hope my shite attempt at a joke wasn't offensive at all.

purlieu

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 05, 2019, 01:42:20 PM
It's class 37 or nowt for me I'm afraid.
My girlfriend bought me this the other year:

QuoteI didn't know you were a trainspotter, by the way. I hope my shite attempt at a joke wasn't offensive at all.
Haha no, not in the slightest. Some people can be unnecessarily hateful towards what is largely a bunch of old autistic blokes partaking in a harmless pastime, but I'm very much aware of how ludicrous it is and enjoyed your joke.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Love me some sweet main line action!

a duncandisorderly

As much as I love Chic and have all of their albums, the covers are terrible

H-O-W-L

Everyone else has got it pretty correct, it's because it's all in the wrong place and makes no sense whatsoever. I think the ability of Magritte to do this with such content without coming across as yer Noel Fielding style random whimsy bloke is what makes him magical. The purchase of his imagery is so strong. You can tell that he's not taking the piss or just going "shatner's bassoon on the tramlime gumblger, sausage fingers!" he's sincerely thought and believes in what he's painting.

My favourite Magritte piece is Golconda, fwiw.

popcorn

Is it possible that Magritte painted this image by mistake, not understanding about trains?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: popcorn on November 06, 2019, 07:54:04 AM
Is it possible that Magritte painted this image by mistake, not understanding about trains?

that's steam you've got coming out of one chimbley & going up the other, you daft belgian twat. not smoke. no wonder you don't know what a pipe is.

olliebean

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on November 06, 2019, 09:35:00 AM
that's steam you've got coming out of one chimbley & going up the other, you daft belgian twat. not smoke. no wonder you don't know what a pipe is.

It's smoke that comes out of the chimbley of a steam train, not steam. This is something I posted about in the obvious things you've only just realised thread, when I realised it recently.

alan nagsworth

"Seymour, why is there smoke coming from your decorative fireplace?"

"Oh, that's not smoke, it's steam! Steam from the steamed trains we're having. Mmm, steamed trains!"