Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:40:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Terrible album covers

Started by Subtle Mocking, February 11, 2011, 04:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulTMA

Quote from: NoSleep on February 12, 2011, 10:50:12 AM
It's a picture of Iggy smiling, something you don't find many of before that period. It's something of a statement (and it is "news"), that was confirmed in interviews with him at the time; that he'd "stopped trying to succeed at being a loser" or similar.

Plus, it appeared on those £5 notes that could only be used once.

Johnny Townmouse

Does this count?

The Durutti Column's The Return of the Durutti Column. A sandpaper sleeve that destroys the record and the other records around it.

'Turntablist' Christian Marclay also had a sleeve with sandpaper on the inside so that the record got more fucked-up as it was taken out and replaced. That's just an exaggeration of most records really - my copy of the Queen is Dead was so scratched up at the start that you couldn't even hear Cicely Courtneidge singing 'Take me back to dear old Blighty'.

23 Daves

"Topol Sings Israeli Freedom Songs" is surely high on the agenda...

An idea even Sham 69 would have rejected as "lacking in subtlety". 

NoSleep

Is that even for real? Is it a bootleg?

Edit: Seems it's an official release (and has been reissued on CD). But it isn't shown in his discography on Wiki[nb]Because it only shows his filmography.[/nb].

Lee Van Cleef

Funnily enough I came across this one earlier, whilst browsing the internet:

23 Daves

Quote from: NoSleep on February 12, 2011, 12:49:09 PM
Is that even for real? Is it a bootleg?

It most definitely is, I own the fucker!  It was released on Ember Records who did a lot of budget/ low price releases in the sixties and seventies, but I don't think it's a bootleg, just a British issue of something he originally did for the Israeli market.  I found it for one pound in Music and Video Exchange and thought it might have some comedy value - sadly, none of it is in English so it's impossible to work out how ridiculous or offensive the lyrical contents are.  The musical contents are just rather dull. 

The Cloud of Unknowing

Lita Ford from The Runaways. "Still a tiny bit of space left on the cover, sweetheart - do you want a waxwork René or a sheep in a gimp mask?"

Cerys

Quote from: Petey Pate on February 11, 2011, 05:02:27 PM

Pretty much anything by this prog-rock super group and finally (for now)

That's presumably because you just don't like Roger Dean.

holyzombiejesus

Someone posted about this a while ago...

holyzombiejesus

I always found this almost brilliant in it's horrible shitness...

(It's the inner Sleeve to The Prodigy's Music for the Jilted Generation, by the way.)

NoSleep

Do you think there's some petrol stations and electrical power on the green side of the rift?

holyzombiejesus

Nope. Nothing like that at all. It's a hemp-driven utopia.

23 Daves

I know it's not the done thing around these parts to dismiss anything Ray Davies has touched - and, for the most part, fair enough - but this sleeve really is staggeringly bad:

It puts me in mind of this hideous Godley and Creme album cover, which manages to be even worse (it's a self-portrait, apparently, and it really should have remained in the scrap book).

Jobey

Sorry but some of these covers are amazing!
Are we seeing the same images?!

Spiteface

I pretty much like every album the manics have put out, but this cover is just... crap.  And ever since the South Park episode "Christian Rock Hard", I keep thinking of Cartman's band Faith +1.

BlodwynPig

There are whole internet sites dedicated to this. I think poster no. 2 or 3 nicked theirs from there.

Here are two particularly gruesome ones from "Jim's collection"

and one to get your juices running

and one for connoisseurs (of something)

Serge

The Carl Barat one falls into the category of 'extra special' for me, mainly because I've yet to meet anybody whose jaw hasn't dropped to the floor in horror at the sight of it. Even Pete Doherty hasn't managed to sink that low (yet).

A current 'favourite':

I really hate covers which try and fit so many different things in. This looks like it should be the cover of a children's fantasy book, not an album cover.

BlodwynPig

massive bereavement

I'd rather spend the night with 'Ken by request only'.

The Cloud of Unknowing

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 12, 2011, 11:44:41 PM

I like the Olias cover - shrunk to CD size it's not so good, but the LP cover was designed to look like a book, and there were pages inside.

Here's the pay-off to the Bunk Dogger sleeve, by the way.  (I mean, I can't believe you really thought... etc)

JesusAndYourBush

Petey Pate

Quote from: Cerys on February 12, 2011, 02:06:27 PM
That's presumably because you just don't like Roger Dean.
Well, no.  I think that is an awful cover, abundant use of pink and purple does not render it pleasurable to this man's eye.

Cerys

Quote from: Petey Pate on February 13, 2011, 02:51:56 AM
Well, no.  I think that is an awful cover, abundant use of pink and purple does not render it pleasurable to this man's eye.

I agree that one's not so good - but you also said 'pretty much anything' by them.  Weren't all the covers done by Roger Dean?

This one I love - had the poster for years.

BlodwynPig

Yes, I have nothing against Olias cover, in fact, most prog album covers are darn good. Roger Dean, Hipgnosis et al., you can't really call them bad cover art. Maybe juvenile at worst, but they have everything a the fantasist prog fan could dream of.

Someone should start a good album artwork thread...oh  ok then

holyzombiejesus

I never understood the decision to replace this...

with this monstrosity...

PaulTMA

This is just horrible beyond Nickleback's wildest collective imagination:

Subtle Mocking

How the strawberry fuck did I forget this?

massive bereavement

An tSaoi

I hate all album covers that don't have the name of the album and artist on the front.