Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:05:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Terrible album covers

Started by Subtle Mocking, February 11, 2011, 04:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Quote from: samadriel on December 15, 2019, 06:05:19 PM
I agree with the other post saying anyone could put that together in under an hour, but... what IS it? Are those extension cords coming out of the ground? What does that represent? And why is the road all busted up?
as the girl walks down the road, the streetlamps twist up and the road cracks behind her. the concept isn't too bad - it's not like super meaningful or whatever but it's kinda cool - the general composition isn't awful (scale of the girl and the street lamps aside), but the ultimate execution is offensively shit

Bronzy

Pauline Walnuts

So you spend all that time and money putting out those beds, and then you get your colour box out and change the sky to nothing that exists in real life, and everything so it looks like a drawing. Instead of having the beds all the same colour, with a uniform, army surplus/hospital grey blanket you put different colours on each reducing the effect. Again

Microlight in the sky when Learning to Fly is obviously about a small plane blah blah TL:DR It sucks.

Oh, and it's a River of beds, a River Bed, geddit?

So why is next to the sea, not a river?

QDRPHNC

The Division Bell is the only one I've liked. Proper evocative. Also done "for real".

Bronzy

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on December 15, 2019, 10:14:51 PM
No. This is too far. Close this thread.

As if to rub salt into the wound, it's a poorly cropped and scanned image taken from the cover of an album he had released two years earlier:

He's quite a guy, released a new album nearly every single day in 2014 and has to date released over 1000 albums:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viper_(rapper)

H-O-W-L

BlodwynPig

so upper middle class - well I never had much of a problem with them until this thread...dang

Final Cut is good, yeh?

Head Gardener

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 16, 2019, 08:37:35 AM
so upper middle class - well I never had much of a problem with them until this thread...dang

Final Cut is good, yeh?

bit heavy mate

phantom_power

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on December 15, 2019, 09:30:34 PM

So you spend all that time and money putting out those beds, and then you get your colour box out and change the sky to nothing that exists in real life, and everything so it looks like a drawing. Instead of having the beds all the same colour, with a uniform, army surplus/hospital grey blanket you put different colours on each reducing the effect. Again

Microlight in the sky when Learning to Fly is obviously about a small plane blah blah TL:DR It sucks.

Oh, and it's a River of beds, a River Bed, geddit?

So why is next to the sea, not a river?

Sea bed?

Are those "dogs of war" to the right as well?

Head Gardener

this is what the Momentary Lapse.. album looked like live at Wembley stadium, this pic got published in Q mag's worst ever gig pics (I had written the description on the back)

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Bronzy on December 16, 2019, 01:08:42 AM
As if to rub salt into the wound, it's a poorly cropped and scanned image taken from the cover of an album he had released two years earlier:

He's quite a guy, released a new album nearly every single day in 2014 and has to date released over 1000 albums:

I know who he is! But this is an instance of the artwork perfectly fitting the music.

alan nagsworth

Yeah that dude's stupid reputation has earned him a solid place as an internet meme musician now whether he intended that to happen or not. He fully exploits it as well.

idunnosomename

Quote from: H-O-W-L on December 16, 2019, 03:09:03 AM
The actual "new" album cover was shit too:

I mean, it's a bit naff and could be for any new age wank, but at least the lighting matches and they've layered cloud effects over the oar etc

presumably they actually had the budget to photograph someone modelling in the skiff though, rather than just using stock images like for the boxset, so it should be better really

pupshaw

Quote from: Head Gardener on December 15, 2019, 10:58:23 AM
the new Pink Floyd

FFS

If you take the awful stupid twisty streetlamps out, it's not that bad a cover.

Note the shadows of the street lamps have had no work at all to make them reflect the
distortion, and for some reason the shadows on the left aren't parallel to the one on the right.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 16, 2019, 08:37:35 AM

Final Cut is good, yeh?

I think Final Cut's cover is aesthetically ugly and shittily composed (Roger is not an artist) but I think as the sum of its parts, it works, if that makes sense? The conceptual design of it is strong enough to carry it despite its legitimately ugly execution. And Final Cut is in my top 10 albums.

idunnosomename

if you took the streetlights out at least it wouldn't look like the girl was at around 10ft tall

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Head Gardener on December 15, 2019, 10:58:23 AM
the new Pink Floyd

FFS

quite a lot of cocks drawn in the cracks in the road

Glebe

Whomever designed that is bald and phismotic.

Head Gardener

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 16, 2019, 12:48:38 PM
I mean, it's a bit naff and could be for any new age wank, but at least the lighting matches and they've layered cloud effects over the oar etc

presumably they actually had the budget to photograph someone modelling in the skiff though, rather than just using stock images like for the boxset, so it should be better really

this would have been a better cover - its a painting by Tithi Luadthong

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

TheMonk

Then there's the one with the man with water balloons sticky taped to his jacket looking at the man juggling twenty dead squirrels.

Shaky

Quote from: Bronzy on December 16, 2019, 01:08:42 AM

Fucking hell, he's... quite something.

QuotePersonal life

Carter has had two children with his ex-wife and another two with his second ex-wife. He believes he is the second Christ, and refers to himself as "Black Jesus"[13][14] as well as being a devout Christian. In June 2016, Carter suffered pneumonia[15] as a result of him wearing a contraption he calls "Tha Hornace of Death [sic]" or THOD which is in fact, small women's body wraps he wears constantly in order to "make small".[16]

idunnosomename

when we say storm was shit we aren't including pre-1983 stuff in Hipgnosis right. because like Saucerful of Secrets, Atom Heart Mother, Wish You Were Here, cool to fine

also Red Hot Chili Peppers in taste shocker. they turned down these hackneyed bits of brainStorming for Stadium Arcadium and he was really upset, lol

H-O-W-L

Very glad Storm Thorgerson is dead now to be honest.

BlodwynPig

Just discovered that Tony Banks and Steve Hillage collaborated on a record - 1989 of course, dripping in 1989

Duran Duran have let themselves go.

kalowski

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 17, 2019, 11:41:19 AM
Just discovered that Tony Banks and Steve Hillage collaborated on a record - 1989 of course, dripping in 1989

That was Tony Banks and Steve Tatement.