Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:09:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Excellent album covers

Started by BlodwynPig, February 13, 2011, 11:36:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doomy Dwyer

I was torn between this and 'Ocean Rain'. This is the better cover, that is the better album -

This from PiL always made me smile. Probably the last half decent thing they did -

Infinitely better in its full 12" majesty (matron).

And finally, one of the greatest albums of all time, a cover that captures the whole mood, ethos, image etc of a band approaching the peak of their considerable powers. I give you....

Doomy Dwyer

Forgot this informal study of Thelonious Monk relaxing in his lovely home -

Crazy name, crazy bastard.

holyzombiejesus

There's a label here in Manchester called Little Red Rabbit that always put out lovely looking records.

http://www.littleredrabbit.co.uk/index.html

NoSleep

I may have to purchase this on ebay just to own the cover again[nb]One of his best albums [nb]pre-Scientology, natch.[/nb], but I already have a digital download of the music.[/nb]:

Johnny Yesno

I can't believe it's taken me this long to remember about 23 Envelope and The Designers Republic.

Nelson Swillie

BlodwynPig

Johnny Yesno

I liked this sleeve so much I bought two t-shirts with the design on:

holyzombiejesus

Johnny Yesno

BlodwynPig

Lovely Francoise, lovely. But here are a few beauties too.

Cerys

There'll always be a place in my heart for this one -

Mister Six

Those Soulwax ones from earlier in the thread are amazing.

scarecrow

The perfect cover for what is a pretty self-indulgent album:

I'm also rather fond of these:

and I thought this was an ace sleeve, perfectly befitting the stark folk contained within

however this appears to have been the original cover:

Absorb the anus burn

Good call for Yeti, Zeit & Ashra (I'd love to roll a bifter on the golden gatefold cover)

Here are some Kraut covers I love.

The Brain label had some brilliant LP covers...

This one was a Virgin release and Hipgnosis, I think.

I think it's a clever cover for an LP called Correlations, but I know people who say it's tacky... Great album though from the always reliable Herr Gottsching.

PaulTMA

Absorb the anus burn

HAYRDRYAH

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on February 14, 2011, 12:13:47 PMThat Prodigy cover is excellent. Does anyone know if that is acheived by zooming in or zooming out whilst taking the picture - or some other effect?

Stock photo by Konrad Wothe/Silvestris, crab cut out in Photoshop, background given a zoom effect, crab superimposed back in

Absorb the anus burn

Bennygaylord

Absorb the anus burn

^^^^^^

fall asleep tonight listening to Zeit on earphones. Listen to about eight minutes (after intense cello drone) of the Birth of liquid plejades - just melt like a malteeser at Fricke's moog work.

HAYRDRYAH

^^^^^^

And cue the Escape by Scott Walker to come on afterwards

Ja'moke

kidsick5000

Quote from: Doomy Dwyer on February 14, 2011, 01:56:31 PM
I was torn between this and 'Ocean Rain'. This is the better cover, that is the better album -

Alway a case of so close yet so far for me. The picture is perfect, I love it. But the typography. Yack

Famous Mortimer

I keep forgetting this one, which as it's my wallpaper at work is a bit odd (someone asked me if it was a photo of my front room - why would my front room be worth using as my computer wallpaper, and it's from at least 1978!). Jandek's "Ready For The House":

Johnny Townmouse

Stretchheads '23 Skinner'
A lovely sleeve that I really don't think was staged.

Th' Faith Healers 'Pop Song' EP. From what I can remember, these images were found in a skip outside University London, probably from the anthropology or sociology department:

HappyTree

The album's cover was a painting by American sci-fi artist Frank Kelly Freas. Taylor had an issue of Astounding Science Fiction (October 1953) whose cover-art depicted a giant intelligent robot holding the dead body of a man. The caption read: "Please... fix it, Daddy?" to illustrate the story "The Gulf Between" by Tom Godwin.

The robot killing the man was likened to a child injuring a bug and looking up at his parents saying "What have I done?". The painting inspired the band to contact Freas, who agreed to alter the painting for their album cover, by replacing the single dead man with the four "dead" band members (Taylor and Deacon falling to the ground). The original painting (also called The Gulf Between) features on the cover of Freas's collection of art As He Sees It (Paper Tiger, 2000).

Doomy Dwyer

Quote from: Ja'moke on February 15, 2011, 01:31:53 AM

'Small Change' is a beauty. The model reputedly was Cassandra Peterson, who on to become Elvira, Mistress of the Dark[nb]And also one of Elvis's lady friends.[/nb], although nobody is one hundred per cent certain that it is she in the photo, including herself. Something else I've never been able to find out is whether or not the small framed photo is of a late period, heavily alcoholic Jack Kerouac. It looks like some photos of Jack that I have seen, and it would certainly be fitting.

'Licensed to Ill' need the full gatefold treatment to do it proper justice -

These two covers both tell you everything you need to know about the bands and the contents of the albums -

NoSleep

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on February 15, 2011, 01:09:36 AM

That's Charles Hayward's ugly mug being projected upon, there.

I prefer the look of their debut album:

Good call on Licensed To Ill.