Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:49:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your most played game

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, February 14, 2011, 12:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Simple man-hours. Or woman-hours.

Clocking up everything, over the years.

Even though it's far from the best game I'd have to say Football Manager 2005 just for the sheer life-consuming slog. The whole point of football management is along similar lines I suppose.

Other contenders include International Cricket Captain 2006, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (I sometimes load it up just to go for a walk around) and Civilization II.

What games have destroyed your families, your friendships, your education and your mind? And what's The Boss, the ultimate wrecker. People who play World Of Warcraft are cautiously invited in. But if you starting talking to each other, you're out- got it?

ThickAndCreamy

Alone - Battlefield 2, a good 300+ hours on that game.

However my most played game of all time is either Timesplitters 2 or 3. I've completed each 100% at least two times and completed the main story modes many more with friends or alone. Also, I've played them both with friends for countless, countless hours when getting drunk or generally for short bursts. I've been playing them both with mates since they first came out, and last played one of them a few weeks back.

Perfect, inane multiplayer fun is what I need, with music alone or with alcohol with friends.

Tokyo Sexwhale

On my deathbed I shall begrudge every minute I spent on minesweeper, solitaire, hearts and freecell.

glitch

UFO:Enemy Unknown or some version of Quake, in recent years probably Company of Heroes

pk1yen

Pokemon. Over 200 hours on Soul Silver. Still missing about 7 of the bastards.

God knows how long on Blue, Silver, Sapphire and Diamond over the years.

Spoiler alert
Roll on Pokemon White!
[close]

Big Jack McBastard

Errm it's a toss up between Oblivion and Fallout 3 + all their add-ons. Also spent a frightening amount of time on Morrowind but only went through that once.

Played Oblivion through 4 times as far as I can remember, Nord, Breton, 'something' then Dark Elf, knocking on about 200 hours per game give or take a day or so and went through Fallout twice, racked up roughly 700 hours in total on that.

For sheer number of times played through I think KOTOR 2 gets it though as I tried to see every permutation of the story, being lightside/darkside, turning each character light/dark, killing folks/letting them live, destroying/saving places and so on for what seems like an eternity now I think about it.

Guitar Hero from 3 onwards deserves a mention as well, not sure what my hours are on them but it's a fuck of a lot.

Still Not George

It's a toss-up between Planets4, Master of Orion 2, or UFO Enemy Unknown. And possibly Hearts of Iron 2. I think Planets4 probably nudges it, I played that a LOT.
Dwarf Fortress is catching up, mind.

Treguard of Dunshelm

Halo or Morrowind.

Quote from: Still Not George on February 14, 2011, 01:01:56 PM
Dwarf Fortress is catching up, mind.

Same. I blame you for introducing me to this most crack-like of games.

Cerys

Probably a combination of Final Fantasies 7, 8 and 9.  I've played each of them at least five times.

hoverdonkey

The NHL series. I've played every one solidly since 1994 - especially 2004, 2010 and 2011. I don't intend to work out how many hours that equates to.

Left 4 Dead 2 - 695 hours played. By far my most played game.

I've definitely played the GTA3 Trilogy twice through each, but not for a long time now. Tried to play GTA4 for the 2nd time on the PC instead of Xbox a little while ago but got bored once Rebecca or whoever was introduced and I had to take her on her stupid dates. Fuck that game.

Played both No One Lives Forever games at least twice, most recently about 2 years ago.

Played the first Half Life 3 or 4 times, maybe more, but that is since release 13 years ago. Did Half Life 2 again just before the releases of each episode, plus all 3 a little while later so that's 4 or 5 playthroughs.

Played Saints Row 2 twice, once on Xbox and once on PC. Played a lot of the multiplayer of Saints Row 1 too, probably hit 100 hours or more including single player.

I finally gave Oblivion another go recently after sort of losing interest first time round and am currently at 127 hours, but only about 70 of that is on my new game.

Zero Gravitas

Probably Alpha Centauri, at the least it's a close second to Battle Raper 2.

madhair60

Cumalatively it's probably Mega Bomberman or something like that.  Games that actually log playtime?  I rarely exceed 20 hours, but recently I played Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days for some 40-odd hours, which was frankly pointless because it's barely even good.

The Metroid-inspired Castlevania games (Symphony of the Night, Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia) have collectively consumed hundreds of hours of my time, and not one regret.  I am glad I don't have a 360, though; the XBLA title Castlevania: Harmony of Despair would certainly destroy my life.

HappyTree

i get the concept of re-playing a game, but once I've been through the story I don't see the point in doing it all again with minor changes. The story doesn't differ significantly enough for it to be of interest.

I did try. I played Mass Effect as a good girl, then whilst waiting for ME2 I made a bad character with red hair and started to play through again, trying to choose all the renegade options. It felt unsatisfying, wasn't that different and I gave up.

So the only games I play for long are "fanny about" ones. I have no idea how long I played Chuckie Egg. I've got about 300 hours racked up on Spiderman 3 because I used to listen to the radio and just swing about at the same time. I spent a similar amount of time jumping and driving around on Crackdown with, again, the radio in the background. I also enjoy a couple of hours of radio-listening with Mashed, a micro-machines-like racing game, from time to time.

But the game I've played most is probably Elite. Or maybe it seemed that way since I was a young teenager and time felt very stretched.

Utter Shit

Championship Manager 01-02. I still play it now, fully updated of course. I would imagine I have probably clocked up a good few months of total playing time on it, if not a terrifying amount more than that.

Champo aside, probably Final Fantasy VII. Hype about it being the first ever 100-hour game were well wide of the mark, but I played it for about thirty hours total the first time through and twenty-five or so the second time I completed it a few years later.

I'd imagine over the years I've clocked up a serious amount of game time on various Pro Evo and FIFA incarnations as well.

El Unicornio, mang

It would be a sports game, most likely one of the Fifas, MLB or, going way back, NHL on the Megadrive.

Famous Mortimer

These all pale into insignificance next to the WoW big boys - my friend Dave has clocked up something like 2 years of continuous play on it since it came out. My 50 hours on Final Fantasy X seems as naught.

VegaLA

Dead Rising 1 and 2. Once i've completed my second walkthrough of 2 i'll probably return to 1 for the fun of it.

GTA 4. I still drop in from time to time but I know i'll hit those side missions heavy once the hype for the next GTA game starts rolling.

Spoiler alert
Particulary if I find out its not coming out on my XBox 360!
[close]

Utter Shit

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 14, 2011, 04:46:37 PM
These all pale into insignificance next to the WoW big boys - my friend Dave has clocked up something like 2 years of continuous play on it since it came out. My 50 hours on Final Fantasy X seems as naught.

The more I think about it, the more time I think I've probably spent playing Champo in my life. I wouldn't be surprised if it was pushing a year. Maybe 9 months or so.

uglybob1986

Again, probably Morrowind. No replays but it was a very full play through, including the add-ons. Fallout 3 and its DLC, Oblivion are close contenders. Now that I think back, I must have played through Zelda: OOT more times than any other game, maybe a dozen times

I don't play that many games, or that much. But since mid-December I've put over 75 hours into Battlefield 2: Bad Company 2. And I limit it to waiting until my son is in bed.

Still Not George

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 14, 2011, 04:46:37 PM
That's not gameplaying, though, that's playing WoW.
WoW isn't a game, it's a complex test of strength of personality. Your friend Dave has obviously failed the test.

Mister Six

Quote from: Cerys on February 14, 2011, 01:25:37 PM
Probably a combination of Final Fantasies 7, 8 and 9.  I've played each of them at least five times.

I clocked in 120+ hours on FF8, making it my most-played game by far. I actually hated it from about the space point onwards, finding the characters, plot and combat system unengaging compared to FF7 (which was my introduction to the series) but I still shed a tear of happiness at the ending. Probably videogame Stockholm Syndrome or something.

Hmm, actually Dragon Age: Origins and its DLC has probably topped that. 70-80 hours main game, 20 for Awakenings and five or so for the DLC? Yeah. Plus a couple of abortive replays. One of the Fallouts probably comes second.

RPGs are always going to be outliers in this regard though. I'm always amazed when people put hundreds of hours into something like Tetris or Bayonetta or something, although I can understand how that would happen. Especially if it's a co-op or party game like Rock Band or Call of Duty. But personally I usually reach the end of the story and stop - rarely does the gameplay itself prove enough of a draw to get me to play it over and over again.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Still Not George on February 14, 2011, 05:23:39 PM
That's not gameplaying, though, that's playing WoW.
WoW isn't a game, it's a complex test of strength of personality. Your friend Dave has obviously failed the test.
I still can't quite get my head round it, the sheer determination that it must have taken to do that, but I suppose you're right. He's a nice chap though.

Thinking about it, my most played game is probably "Mercenary" for the Commodore 64. I played every single permutation of the end game; and then years and years later when I found someone had done a PC port of it, I actually cried. My childhood came rushing back to me, the setup of my computer and little telly, the joystick with the plastic missing...

AsparagusTrevor

I play Left 4 Dead 2 a hell of a lot. I play at least 1 campaign a week, usually on a Sunday when Strictly Come Dancing on Eyes unfortunately takes over our TV for a few hours.

Franchise-wise, the Worms games have clocked a hell of a lot of hours from me since the humble days of the Amiga original, and also Tetris has taken a large percentage of my gaming life. The Sonic the Hedgehog Mega-Drive games are ones I played to death as a kid and at intervals throughout growing up, and I still play from time to time. Mainly Sonic 3 and Knuckles which is just epic, but I've got to the point where my mind goes into auto-pilot and I know where the jumps and spins are required. Also chalked up a lot of time to the Guitar Hero games too, especially since they're a rare beast; games which my wife will play with me.

I used to have a mild obsession with mastering the Tekken games, especially King and his ridiculously complicated throw-combos, don't play so much now but those moves are imprinted on my brain.

small_world

Settlers. 1+2.
Of god. I would happily start up a small community on my own, no enemies, and just watch the little fuggers go about their business. The fishers and farmers especially. I'm so glad the internet wasn't around much back then, I think I'd still be playing it now.
Me and a friend used to play a split screen game. It went on for months.

Oh, and Total Annihilation. I had this dream when I was younger, that I'd open up a rehearsal studio and just sit and play that game all day long.

vrailaine

I had one game of Football Manager 2006 that went 7 days and something hours. Now that is the longest I'm aware of but I KNOW that I played several other attempts on that one game and occasionally had problems with the computer crashing after not saving for hours.

So fucking tons of hours on that one game.

hpmons

Hm, that seems like a pretty tough question...Certainly a lot of time spent on Morrowind and Civ 2, probably an embarrassing amount of time on The Sims...

But lets face it.  It's Diablo 2.  The game I've played the most is Diablo 2.  Yup...Diablo 2.  From 2003-2009 (uh, not constantly, but a fair amount, particularly 2006+).  My best character was level 92 - if I tell that to anyone who has actually played D2, they stare at me in disbelief.  Another two or three characters I got up to level 80 or so, and several in the 60s.  That's not even counting the awesome Median mod, where I've had seven or eight characters at level 120 - actually fairly easy to get to on the mod so not the best way of demonstrating my achievements, probably over half my time on each character is after I've already reached that level limit.  When I started playing, my friend was shocked I had gotten onto Nightmare difficulty after three weeks (she had been playing the game for three months).  Now I can get onto Nightmare difficulty in a day...

For most embarassing, see: Neopets and Runescape, both of them from ~2001 til...2006? I was too old, whatever the year was.  The terrible thing is I didn't even respect either of those games.  Runescape is a mindless grindfest and Neopets is childish and unoriginal ("Hey, isn't this flash game exactly like that other famous game, but with colourful animals instead?").  Sure, Diablo 2 is also a grindfest and a bit embarrassing, but it does have glimpses of creativity and (at the time) original thought.  Obviously the extent to which I played all of these, I had already wrung out any possible thoughtful gain.

I can't think of any game I've played a lot which includes a mention of time spent.  Thank God?

chand

It would be some iteration or other of PES. I've got to the point in the Master League where all my players had retired and returned as youth players with the same names. I play footy games most days, and am usually still playing the game the day before the new one comes out.

the midnight watch baboon

Championship Manager 94/95.

finish work at 5pm 1995-97. Spend 6pm-0200 playing CM.

And I only got to manage England once.

Regarding PES I could never get into the Master League, instead I've probably spent an entire week of my life updating 'real' teams, ages and all that. Loser!