Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:39:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga

Started by HappyTree, February 15, 2011, 09:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyTree

Anyone played this?

I fired up the demo this evening. Instantly loved it. This is my kind of game. Dragons, magic, beautiful landscape, humour, simple but absorbing. The reviews looked good too, and you get 2 games for the price of one.

Should I take the plunge? Anyone out there enjoyed it?

Big Jack McBastard

Looks canny, think I'll have a butchers at this.

Big Jack McBastard

Well it's a dash of the plot of Dragon Age and a snifter of Fable's real-time fighting. I'm not terribly far into the story but it's quick to get started, the barest whiff of an opening section and then on into the world, seems to be pretty loose and free with letting you do what you want and has some interesting looking skill progression based on the old Mage/Ranger/Swordy choices.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

HappyTree

You have it already?! After playing the demo I decided what the hay and ordered it. I need to lose myself in a fantasy world right now, the real world is looking rather grey and empty.

Big Jack McBastard

Aye matey, twas an arduous journey to the shores of BTJunkie.

Slaaaaabs

I've played the first half (the original Divinity 2) to completion and enjoyed it immensely. The game keeps itself fresh by introducing some quite big changes as you progress so you do eventually feel like you are becoming the immensely powerful... thing what you become. I'll get onto the expansion later in the year I think, again it is supposed to change up the game quite a bit.

HappyTree

Just received my game from Amazon today and have played the intro, training part. I love it, exactly what I thought it'd be like. I like to savour games like this slowly, I took ages to do the simple first scenes because I was wandering around drinking in the beautiful scenery. Plus kicking a few rabbits and chickens.

I love the mindreading. Kick a rabbit for 1 XP, mindread an NPC for 1 XP. They don't say anything that interesting but it's great fun. I have decided on the Mage path. Never been interested in sniper/archery skills. I think I'll concentrate on magic and sword melée action.

All the usual stuff here: potions for restoration, summoning up ghosts and undead, fireballs, etc. The game moves so fluidly. Only wish would be that my player's words could be spoken dialogue too, but everyone else speaks so that's not so bad.

Knowing the spoiler that
Spoiler alert
I will become a dragon and presumably turn against the dragon slayers
[close]
is not a problem. I can't wait. It will be interesting to
Spoiler alert
see things from the other perspective
[close]
. This is basically the game I wanted Fable 2 to be. Bring it on!

HappyTree

Top tip:

I can't find where the XP is shown on the inventory, but apparently you can accumulate an "XP debt". In other words, when you mindread and it costs you XP you don't need to care. One is advised to mindread everyone at the start, then pay back the XP with subsequent actions. Apparently you get far more XP for doing stuff at the start, so by the time you're powerful you don't get that much.

I'm off on a mindreading spree!!

One really good thing in this game is you can steal from baskets, barrels, people's boxes and cupboards right in front of them while they watch. They don't stop you, they don't even react and there is no negative karma penallty for going around plifering everything you see.

Perhaps this is unrealistic, but it helps a lot