Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:59:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PC Gaming

Started by Fry, February 16, 2011, 07:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fry

Quote from: Mister Six on February 20, 2011, 07:06:25 PM
It's more that the game loses any sense of progression. Watching your character develop from an amateur who cowers in the face of petty goblins to a brave hero who leaps into Hell itself to kick some arse is both satisfying and narratively appropriate. If my guy's just walked out of his tenth Inferno Gate only to get taken down by a lowly wolf then it just looks bloody stupid.

There's also a sadistic pleasure to be had in, once you reach a high level, pasting all of the monsters that harangued you at the start of the game that is lost to Oblivion players. Likewise, there's something crushing about knowing that trolls will always be abominably hard to kill no matter how good your character gets (especially if, like me, you elect to play as a thief archer).
Yeah, this pretty much. It may sound weird but I love the experience of  being grossly underlevelled for an area, surviving by wits, skill and tactics all the while levelling up until I am just strolling around twatting mobs in the head with a mace not giving a fuck. Also, arena champion at level 1? Bah.

eluc55

Stop playing and call into cab radio, fry.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Fry on February 17, 2011, 08:58:53 PM
I like a little bit of everything to be honest. Really want to get into RTS and Turn Based strategy gaming, also I am also looking for a genuinely good MMO (FPS, RPG, RTS. I don't care) to get my grubby little hands on. Thanks for the suggestions so far! I've been peeking around, trying to find which I like the look of.

Although you've probably got more then enough suggestions, for RTS Company of Heroes is really worth a look as has been mentioned. Personally, I prefer the Dawn of War series, which is also by THQ - both have demos available.

I found Dawn of War 2 enjoyable - by no means perfect, but the move away from base building was interesting and I thought was improved with the next one, Chaos Rising. Although this one is standalone, it works far better with the first DoW 2 as you can import your characters over and the campaign Chaos Rising is actually quite short (but I think most would want to play it twice) and it's pretty cheap to pick up both. The next instalment, which has campaigns for several races, is out soon and should be worth a gander.

This doesn't fit into the RTS and Turn Based strategy gaming category and it's more of a strategic slim with a nice slice of humour, but I rather enjoy Tropico 3 - the gold edition is less that a tenner.

Quote from: cptwhite on February 20, 2011, 10:31:24 AM
If you like real-time Strategy then.... is an absolute must.  Search for Supreme Commander Gold (which is the original game + the forged alliance expansion).  The expansion is very superior and re-balances the game in a big way, but the original is still worth playing the single player for).

What's the sequel like?