Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:51:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Some people have no taste

Started by 2 Light Ales Please, February 17, 2011, 02:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2 Light Ales Please

A guy I was at college with just received one of these T-Shirts in the post: http://www.spiraldirect.com/.-YIN-YANG-PROTECTOR_AS123600.htm (even though it's blatantly something you could get at any run-of-the-mill backwoods market)

He's always liked tacky stuff and doesn't have much of a personality, so I feel a bit sorry for him in a way.

Is my feeling sorry for him just a case of me being a complete snob? I mean, I know people are free to like whatever they want, but I just see something tragic about people who enjoy dragons/flaming skulls/taoist imagery/all of the above. It's not as if it bothers me or affects my life, but all that cheesy stuff just makes me cringe.  Why buy a T-shirt with a flaming dragon on it when you can buy a book or an album or (in his case) the services of a prostitute. It just doesn't make any sense.

Blumf

Quote from: Danger Man on February 17, 2011, 02:28:12 PM

Like somebody's stacked a load of cheap 1950's school buildings on top of each other.

As for 2 Light Ales Please's friend, could be worse, he could have gotten one of these:

mook

each to there own and all that - for example nearly all of my shirts were designed by this bloke:

i've been wearing his stuff for years without having the foggiest of who he was or what he looked like, i just presumed it was a made up name. now, thanks to this thread i GIS'd him. it turns out he appears to be a slightly feminine andrea dworkin. so, um thanks for that.

Treguard of Dunshelm

The whole concept of "good/bad taste" is bullshit and is exists solely as an excuse to sneer at people whose tastes differ from one's own.[nb]And I'm not saying that just because I really like dragons. Wouldn't wear a yin yang though.[/nb]

2 Light Ales Please

Quote from: Treguard of Dunshelm on February 17, 2011, 02:37:06 PM
The whole concept of "good/bad taste" is bullshit and is exists solely as an excuse to sneer at people whose tastes differ from one's own.

In this case, it's probably more to do with the person in question, rather than a general matter of taste. I'm pretty sure I am just a snob, but in my defence, the guy doesn't just have a passing interest in that kind of thing, he genuinely considers it to be the height of cool, yet wonders why he isn't popular.  That's why I feel sorry for him I think, he is just completely clueless, yet he tries so hard to fit in.

Blumf

Treguard of Dunshelm

Quote from: 2 Light Ales Please on February 17, 2011, 02:42:39 PM
In this case, it's probably more to do with the person in question, rather than a general matter of taste. I'm pretty sure I am just a snob, but in my defence, the guy doesn't just have a passing interest in that kind of thing, he genuinely considers it to be the height of cool, yet wonders why he isn't popular.  That's why I feel sorry for him I think, he is just completely clueless, yet he tries so hard to fit in.
Orite. Fashion victims are pretty pathetic.

NoSleep

Cerys

Quote from: 2 Light Ales Please on February 17, 2011, 02:20:35 PM
A guy I was at college with just received one of these T-Shirts in the post: http://www.spiraldirect.com/.-YIN-YANG-PROTECTOR_AS123600.htm (even though it's blatantly something you could get at any run-of-the-mill backwoods market)

I quite like that.

Spoiler alert
Although I'd prefer it if it were just the dragon - it's a bit all-piled-on.
[close]

BlodwynPig

Cerys, send me your address and I'll post one off

Caroline

I think that house looks amazing!

uglybob1986

A guy I was at college with just received one of these T-Shirts in the post: http://www.spiraldirect.com/.-YIN-YANG-PROTECTOR_AS123600.htm
Does he know what the writing in the corners means? I can't help thinking these things all say "look at this prick" or suchlike

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: NoSleep on February 17, 2011, 03:18:07 PM
It might be quite nice when they finish building it.

It looks derelict, with the top few floors being only held up from collapsing by a few precariously wedged bits of wood.

Goldentony

It's about time this Rhyl Markeyt Stand chic finally came back into fashion. A shirt like that can really take a brother places. Rhyl mostly, maybe Towyn at a push.

Zero Gravitas

Say what you like, you won't find anyone trying argue that isn't art.

NoSleep

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on February 17, 2011, 04:11:27 PM
It looks derelict, with the top few floors being only held up from collapsing by a few precariously wedged bits of wood.

It looks like a stack of CDs.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Dead kate moss

Quote from: uglybob1986 on February 17, 2011, 04:04:35 PM
Does he know what the writing in the corners means? I can't help thinking these things all say "look at this prick" or suchlike

Apparently it doesn't really make sense, but it's basically 'Happiness, peace, long-life, clothes.'

Which is less embarrassing than the tattoo my GF saw on someone at Fitness First. All down their arm in Japanese, and who knows what they'd asked for, but what they got were the words 'CAR TYRE.'

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If anyone wanted to try putting roundabouts in a skyscraper then that probably would be the one to do it.

madhair60

He's always liked tacky stuff and doesn't have much of a personality, so I feel a bit sorry for him in a way.

Is my feeling sorry for him just a case of me being a complete snob? I mean, I know people are free to like whatever they want, but I just see something tragic about people who enjoy dragons/flaming skulls/taoist imagery/all of the above. It's not as if it bothers me or affects my life, but all that cheesy stuff just makes me cringe.  Why buy a T-shirt with a flaming dragon on it when you can buy a book or an album or (in his case) the services of a prostitute. It just doesn't make any sense.

It's a fuckin' badass shirt, thread backfire.

Treguard of Dunshelm

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 17, 2011, 05:20:28 PM
If anyone wanted to try putting roundabouts in a skyscraper then that probably would be the one to do it.

It would also make an excellent place to hurl stags from a great height onto the cold, hard pavement below.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You'd be dead before you finished the thought.

small_world

Quote from: Danger Man on February 17, 2011, 02:28:12 PM

http://www.mostinterestingfacts.com/building/antilla-the-most-expensive-house-in-the-world-from-india.html

That house is amazing. Even just as a building. The article that goes with it is near gold too.
QuoteThis house is 570 feets high
QuoteAmbani is a global conglomerate and the richest man in India, new emerging economies country.
QuoteI can't imagine how life in the most expensive house in the world.

However, the best bad taste I've ever witnessed was at a car boot sale last summer.
There was this woman, wearing the strangest jumper, it looked like something from some 80's sci-fi series. And then... I noticed the hat! Or rather SPACE HELMET. It was like a helmet on the side of her head, covering her ears.
The covert pictures I managed to take don't really do it justice. But I was afraid she'd whip out some kind of taser and zapp me.

I really think she might have been an alien.

sirhenry

Quote from: 2 Light Ales Please on February 17, 2011, 02:42:39 PM
That sounds strangely like the exact opposite of my son. He's autistic and has had an obsession with dragons since he was about 3[nb]It even led to his interest in Chemistry, trying to work out how fire could be created internally without harming a creature. His life plan is to genetically engineer something like a dragon and is starting his degree course in September. You have been warned.[/nb], so he has loads of dragon T-shirts. But he knows it's not cool, knows why he's not popular and couldn't care less about fitting in. And some of the glow in the dark shirts are surprisingly effective. He has taste, it's just not mainstream.

And Blodwyn - if you're giving them away he'd love your cute dragon shirt.

2 Light Ales Please

Quote from: small_world on February 17, 2011, 06:59:48 PM
It was like a helmet on the side of her head, covering her ears.

I want to know where on Earth she got that hat.

That reminds of the tramp I used to see in Hemel Hempstead. She wore her woollen hat carefully perched on the back of her huge hair, I was always intrigued as to how it managed to stay there.  She also collected a trolley full of carrier bags stuffed with other carrier bags. I'm pretty sure she died in a cold snap, if anyone can clarify that I'd like to know.

Crabwalk

I want to know where on Earth Morrissey got that hat. Bold move choosing that avatar and judging other people's 'tastes'...

2 Light Ales Please

Next time I see Morrissey, I'll tell him you said that.

I don't expect he'll be best pleased, he likes this picture, they got his good side.

Marvin

I'm pretty sure that's an epilepsy helmet.