Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:24:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Interactive Fiction Games

Started by hpmons, February 17, 2011, 10:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hpmons

I swear there was a thread on this already, but can't find one...

Anyway, what are your favourite IF games? I'm currently replayed The Gostak. "The darftunder? It tunds darfs. Just durch it and it'll tund a darf for you."  Oh dear God, how could an orgasm possibly be better than the beautiful choice of words in this game? SO GOOD.

Played The Blind House last week - kinda enjoyed it, but it was a bit too "ooh look! Here are some mysteries!!!", and reminded me of
Spoiler alert
Black Swan
[close]
somehow.

I played Insight ages ago and remember really liking it.  But I admit, I've mostly played the well known ones,  Photopia (I am rather fond of Adam Cadre's stuff), Galatea...Other ones I've already forgotten.

I STILL haven't played Slouching Towards Bedlam, despite Baxter recommending it to me oh...two years ago. From what I recall, the beginning just felt a little ordinary and cold, and I never continued.

Lt Plonker

Magnetic Scrolls' 'Wonderland'.

A joyous romp of a game, beautifully illustrated and comes with a map, compass and visual inventory to make things slightly easier to keep track of. From what I remember, it had a huge parser and lots of things to do and examine. I don't remember it ever being a chore to play.  It is though, I hasten to add, one of those adventure games where you can get stuck because you've forgotten to pick up an item or, as in my case, accidentally destroyed one. The game tells you off for removing your clothes too. :)

HappyTree

I remember Wonderland!

I also remember writing a letter of complaint to Magnetic Scrolls because I had a PC that was well within the spec recommended and yet it ran very slowly. But it was a magical game nonetheless.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Thank you hpmons!

I love this type of game to bits but as mentioned, some of the insistence and inflexibility completely ruins them. I like exploring, not so much 'you can't do this now because you forgot to put x in y two hours ago'.

Interactive fiction though, yay.

I still harbour a dream of a Choose Your Own Adventure type game with an uncoded response, simply a bunch of real people responding to others instructions (with a storyline still, but essentially limitless actions within the game map). It won't happen because of the manpower needed, but it would light the touchpaper for a new era of interactive fiction.

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: hpmons on February 17, 2011, 10:08:04 PM
The Gostak. "The darftunder? It tunds darfs. Just durch it and it'll tund a darf for you."

Ahhh, that's what it was! You mentioned it in passing in another IF thread and I keep looking for it every time I cycle back into playing these things again.

Famous Mortimer

I loved the Infocom ones, back in the day. Leather Goddesses of Phobos, Hitch-Hiker's Guide, Nord and Bert...I remember phoning up someone form the tips page of Zzap!64 to get the solution to a fiendish HHGTTG puzzle.

Mister Six

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 18, 2011, 02:46:00 AM
I still harbour a dream of a Choose Your Own Adventure type game with an uncoded response, simply a bunch of real people responding to others instructions (with a storyline still, but essentially limitless actions within the game map). It won't happen because of the manpower needed, but it would light the touchpaper for a new era of interactive fiction.

And as if by magic...