Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:50:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Danielson - Best of Gloucester County (2011)

Started by Vitalstatistix, February 18, 2011, 11:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitalstatistix

Y'all been sleeping on this fabulous, eccentric and brilliant collective for too long.

Wow, it's been 5 years since the masterpiece that is Ships, !!

On my first listen of this new one, Loving it!

I'm going to put it out there. Dude's a Christian. And he has a very high voice. If you have the balls to get past this, you will be richly rewarded.

If pushed I would roughly describe their music as quirky guitar pop, with tinges of country, psychedelic, indie. High on melody, invention and humour. Lovely touching lyrics as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZa3phyBFQM

vrailaine

Is Sufjan still a member?

It's very hard to get past those two things, I found, plus one of the songs was incredibly familiar due to it being on a heap of ads, which kinda ruins the flow of an album, knowing one song so well already.

Vitalstatistix

Quote from: vrailaine on February 18, 2011, 12:18:02 PM
Is Sufjan still a member?

Yeah he plays banjo and backing vocals on this one, but tbh his contributions are never noticeably Sujfan-esque. Why? and Deerhoof played on Ships but you'd never know by listening to it! Daniel Smith loves collaborating (Jens Lekman is also on this one) but the music is strongly him and his identity.

Anyways, the first five tracks of this are fucking awesome. Really playing to their strengths. Insanely catchy, weird prog-pop. "Complimentary Dismemberment Insurance" (great name!) and "Lil Norge" are particularly good. Then, it loses its way a bit for me. "People's Partay" is fun but grating after a few listens, then... the second half.

Lots of reports suggesting this is where it gets interesting. And yes the sounds are wonderful. Ambient folk noise. Intricate, hushed beautiful arrangements, but it's dull and samey for me unfortunately.  "Olympic Portions" only gets going at the end. "You Sleep Good Now" and "Hosanna In the Forest" are pleasant but unengaging. "Hovering Above That Hill" is plain boring. Only "Denominator Blues" gets the juices flowing again.

An oddly sequenced record then, certainly not as cohesive and extravagant as Ships. The first half is their absolutely A Game though...

/talking to myself