Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:45:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kevin Eldon is titting about DVD

Started by Languid, February 18, 2011, 01:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Why is it in black and white?  Is there any reason for it to be in black and white?  Was it in black and white live?

lipsink

momatt

Any good?  Eldon's never done anything shit yet, to my knowledge.  :)

Difficult to tell whether those artsy b&w photos represent the DVD at all.  Unless he had to do it b&w live due to budget constraints?
So I should buy this then, yeah?
Tell me what to do please!

lipsink

Yep, it's bloody brilliant. The best thing I saw at the Finge last year. Only saw about 4 shows in total, mind.

Aye, seems to be in black and white as it says so on the DVD. If you like Eldon you'll love it.

benjula

Artemis

Hmm, massively tempted by this. I know nothing of the show other than Eldon did it, and that's enough for me, really.

Will it be on general release though, do you reckon? £12 is more than I'd usually pay for a DVD.

Ignatius_S

Many thanks for the heads-up about this!

Quote from: Artemis on February 18, 2011, 01:38:20 PM
...Will it be on general release though, do you reckon? £12 is more than I'd usually pay for a DVD.
I don't think Go Faster Stripe's gear gets a general release. Although I love a bargain, I don't begrudge paying a bit more to a company like this.

TIAL

Quote from: Artemis on February 18, 2011, 01:38:20 PM
Will it be on general release though, do you reckon? £12 is more than I'd usually pay for a DVD.

I've certainly never seen the GFS DVDs in the shops - on Amazon the ones they do have are actually more expensive.

It's a little bit much considering the DVD comes in one of those Daily Mail style cardboard DVD slips. On the other hand it is a niche product and I'm happy to contribute to whoever puts out stuff like this. It's certainly a brilliant show, arguably my favourite from last year's Fringe.

Edit- basically what Ignatious says above.

Black and White though? I'm prett old-fashioned with my views on that. Why use black and White when you can have colour?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: TIAL on February 18, 2011, 02:11:47 PM
quote author=Artemis link=topic=27273.msg1425459#msg1425459 date=1298036300]
... Edit- basically what Ignatious says above.

Black and White though? I'm prett old-fashioned with my views on that. Why use black and White when you can have colour?
Interesting that they're a bit more expensive on Amazon (not that I knew that some stuff was flogged there!) – because it's a niche company as you say, I tend to prefer to deal direct.

With the black and white question, I'm very intrigued to see what it's like – but would it be funnier in colour?

Aesthetically, everyone tend to look better in black and white... so it might just be vanity!

benthalo

It's a great show. Well worth picking up.

Jake Thingray

Is it just me, or does Eldon look rather like the Welsh loon Kenneth Griffith did, in the 50's and 60's?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Jake Thingray on February 18, 2011, 03:02:31 PM
Is it just me, or does Eldon look rather like the Welsh loon Kenneth Griffith did, in the 50's and 60's?
Loon? But no.

Harry Badger

I was at the second of the back-to-back shows recorded for the DVD, and it was mostly brilliant. I've already ordered my DVD. Less than an hour, but there's a lot packed in there and it's delivered at such a frantic pace I didn't feel short-changed in the least.

No idea why it's in b&w though. I'm pretty sure that some of the cutaway cameras were ridiculously small, like mini-DV palmcorders, so it may simply be a question of the colour not being up to scratch, but that doesn't seem to have been an issue on other GFS videos.

spraticus

went to see him do Titting About last night at the Soho Theatre...

blinding show with an underlying sense of menace - absolutely brilliant

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: spraticus on February 18, 2011, 03:37:47 PM
blinding show with an underlying sense of menace - absolutely brilliant

That sums up Eldon perfectly!

Thanks for the 'heads up'!

TIAL

What struck me when I saw it was that this was his first ever show. It seemed like he'd been doing these for decades.

Artemis

Quote from: spraticus on February 18, 2011, 03:37:47 PM
went to see him do Titting About last night at the Soho Theatre...

I didn't know he was at the Soho Theatre! I appear to have scored the last remaining ticket for tonight, and he's sold out tomorrow then not performing again until April for a brief run. Thanks, spraticus!! Can't wait to see the man in action.

mobias

Definitely the best thing I saw at the fringe last year. Just gob smackingly good. I saw it on the last day if its run and wished to god I'd seen it earlier. The writer Ian Banks was creasing up with laughter at the table next to me.

ChrisGFS

Hello everyone!

I am the chap that made Kevin's DVD. And I can say it is in black and white because Kevin asked for it, and I agreed. Having said that, the colour version is on the DVD too as a hidden extra.

And the DVDs are £12 now as I had to become VAT registered. So the extra £2 goes to the man, not us.

What was the other thing? Oh yes - the images on our site are from a still camera - but they are pretty representative of what the DVD looks like. I've put a couple of clips up - so that's more representative I suppose.

Oh - and Amazon make up their own prices, and I suppose they know what they are doing.

Chris

TIAL

Thanks Chris. That's useful to know.

I'll be sure to purchase this when... Oh fuck it, bought.

vrailaine

QuoteHe was funny but after seeing Bo Burnham the following night, he seemed less funny.
Weird review

Thought he was great at Edinburgh, and I saw about 20 shows.

Harry Badger

While you're here Chris, any chance of getting Jerry Sadowitz to Chapter to do a GFS DVD? And thanks for the free DVD after the Simon Munnery no-show in December!

Neil

That's an excellent point, Harry; there were cameras at one of his recent gigs, and a few of us were already wondering if there were plans for GFS (or anyone else) to put it out...

ChrisGFS

QuoteWeird review

It is nuts, isn't it? I was looking for reviews yesterday, and that one made me laugh, so I put it on. We've put some bad ones on for Stew and Rich in the past - but these have always been from "respected" publications. This Bo Burnam one was from some anonymous soul on the internet.

And I've spoken to Jerry Sadowitz - he doesn't want to do one. Well - he does, but he doesn't want us to share the costs and rights to the recording like we do with everyone else. I think he has been messed about by a video production company in the past... maybe he's doing something himself now.

Chris

Artemis

Well I'm back from tonight's gig at the Soho Theatre. It was stunning; easily the best live show I've seen since Stewart Lee's 'Milder Comedian' and probably one of the best I've seen. The pace of the thing is extraordinary - it's impressive enough just that he's able to physically do it! But then the way in which the comedy hits you, one style after another, is so impressive. Pretty soon into the act, I just became aware that I was witnessing something really quite special; the kind of benchmark I'll end up comparing others to, perhaps slightly unfairly. It didn't click with everyone; I was sat next to a guy who didn't laugh once and could barely bring himself to clap at the end, but others were on the cusp of a standing ovation (typically, because nobody else did, they didn't either, but there were jerks toward it).

It was nice to see Eldon corpse in places too (
Spoiler alert
Hamilton explaining that he'd called his surreal poem '?' then going on to explain it was the symbol, not Q-U-E-S-T-I-O-N M-A-R-etc.'
[close]
), and when he asked how many songs had been written about
Spoiler alert
pot-holing
[close]
later in the show, some bright spark yelled 'seven', prompting Eldon to drag the mic wire up the stairs and challenge him to name them. He got to three (
Spoiler alert
'I Love Pot-holing'
[close]
Spoiler alert
'Pot-holing: USA'
[close]
, and
Spoiler alert
'Pot-holing: Europe'
[close]
) but the fourth (
Spoiler alert
'Can't Stop Pot-holing'
[close]
) brought the house down and had Eldon chuckling all the way back to the stage.

The
Spoiler alert
rap
[close]
at the end was extra-ordinarily well done, both technically and in terms of laughs, and I left so exhilarated I picked up a copy of his pre-signed DVD on the way out. It was a shame he didn't hang around afterwards (or maybe I left too soon) - I'd love to have congratulated the bloke. 

EDIT: Forgot to mention, when I collected my ticket about an hour before, I spotted Simon Amstell loitering around outside. I felt compelled to commend him on Grandma's House, but I didn't. What a shit anecdote.

Chris GFS, have you approached Kevin McAleer about filming "Chalk and Cheese" or his more recent show? He seems the perfect GFS kind of comedian and with him hardly ever leaving Ireland for gigs it would be a good one to film I would have thought.

I enjoyed the Simon Munnery DVD with all the extras packed into it and I expect I'll get this Kevin Eldon one too.

scarecrow

While people are pitching requests to GFS, I'd like to suggest that they record something by Paul Putner- Inglorious Stereo was a brilliant sketch show, while what little I've seen of his Earl Stevens character(his set at the Stewbilee) stands as the funniest thing I've ever seen a comedian do. It would be great if he could be persuaded to revive his full-length show for a DVD recording. A lot of Lee and Herring fans must be buying these releases, so I could imagine a Putner release selling.

Oh, and I'll definitely pick up the Eldon DVD soon!

vrailaine

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on February 19, 2011, 02:18:07 AM
Chris GFS, have you approached Kevin McAleer about filming "Chalk and Cheese" or his more recent show?
Woah, what's this about a more recent show?!

McAleer said ages back in an email that he intends on releasing the show at some point in the future, it'll come out eventually, I'm sure. He put Turn It On up on youtube in its entirety, sure.

I've a McAleer clip that isn't on youtube which I've to find time to get sorted for going onto youtube, actually.

Edley

Ordered yesterday, arrived today. Eldon was superb at Stewart Lee's book launch so I'm really looking forward to watching this.