Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:58:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kevin Eldon is titting about DVD

Started by Languid, February 18, 2011, 01:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Languid

Spoiler alert
Just thoroughly enjoyed this in black and white and have discovered an easter egg, the whole show in colour
[close]
. Now I want to rewatch it already. I would do anyway its marvelous

ChrisGFS

Hello,

About them ideas for DVDs...

I have spoken to Kevin McCleer - he recorded a show of his a couple of years ago professionally with three cameras - I was going to take the raw footage to make a DVD, but then the "DVD trail went cold" (Kevin's Words).  So that might be the end of that. I might send him a quick email just to check.

And I did speak to Paul Putner about his scetch show at the aftershow party for Stew's book launch. Look at me going to after show parties. I think it was all right for me to be there as I wasn't invited. Anyhow - we had quite a chat about how we would go about filming it - and I promised to come and see the show when they did it in London. But I don't think they ever did. I am pretty sure that I would film it if Paul was up for it though.

Looks like I have some emails to write...

Oh - and Languid - I am glad you liked it. I have seen it so many times now I couldn't quite remember if it is good or not.

Chris

Small Man Big Horse

I just wanted to say thank you for all your hard work that goes in to GFS, Chris, I've bought quite a few now and enjoyed every single one of them (the Tony Law dvd especially), your site solves my difficulties as to what to ask for most birthday's and Christmas's! And as we're doing the suggestions thing, is there any chance of a Paul Foot one? Oh, and a Ginger and Black show would be fantastic too, especially if they could be somehow persuaded in to restaging their Edinburgh 2009 show...

afunnydog

Every now and then things work out so nicely - saw the show at the Soho Theatre a week or so ago and loved it. Particularly loved the pension rap (very nice beats) and after enjoying it and the show ending I suddenly thought 'I'll probably never hear that again' and got a bit sad. Came on here, saw this thread, got very excited and wished it wasn't the weekend so the DVD would turn up tomorrow.

Another thank you to Chris GFS, particularly for helping get 90s Comedian out

In case anyone was still in any doubt,  I was also at the recording and would like to agree with everyone who said it was ace. I'm getting behind on my GFS purchasing...when I can afford this it will be mine...

Meanwhile, any word on the Paul Sinha DVD?

benjula

also have to say the delivery time is fucking marvellous for GFS, next day delivery pretty much 100% for when i've ordered.

no_offenc

Just bought it. I'm worried I may laugh myself into an aneurysm and the missus will find me dead on the couch when she gets back from India in a week. Fingers crossed.

ChrisGFS

Well thank you everyone for saying them nice things. It makes it all worthwhile...

So - Paul Foot is in the Peacock Season film - does that count?

I have not seen Ginger and Black for a few years, but I promise to take a look next time I see them around.

Paul Sinha's DVD is completely finished, but I have this thing about giving the artist final approval, and Paul's management seem to have gone cold on the idea. Sorry.

I agree that Kevin's pension rap excellent, and is on the DVD, and there's a little bit of it towards the end of this clip http://www.gofasterstripe.com/cgi-bin/website.cgi?showclip=1&id=10233

Chris

Quote from: vrailaine on February 19, 2011, 11:59:26 AM
Woah, what's this about a more recent show?!

McAleer said ages back in an email that he intends on releasing the show at some point in the future, it'll come out eventually, I'm sure. He put Turn It On up on youtube in its entirety, sure.

I've a McAleer clip that isn't on youtube which I've to find time to get sorted for going onto youtube, actually.

The new show is just what I presume he's performing at the moment. I think I read somewhere that he was working on new material, as well as writing a novel, and recently he's been gigging a fair bit. Sorry to be vague. What's the clip you've got and how long is it? Would be very grateful should you upload it.

Quote from: ChrisGFS on February 19, 2011, 06:47:43 PM
Hello,

About them ideas for DVDs...

I have spoken to Kevin McCleer - he recorded a show of his a couple of years ago professionally with three cameras - I was going to take the raw footage to make a DVD, but then the "DVD trail went cold" (Kevin's Words).  So that might be the end of that. I might send him a quick email just to check.

Thanks for replying and all your good work. Hope and wait for the best with this one then, whether with GFS or otherwise.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: ChrisGFS on February 20, 2011, 03:54:51 PM
Well thank you everyone for saying them nice things. It makes it all worthwhile...

So - Paul Foot is in the Peacock Season film - does that count?

I somehow blagged a ticket to the premier of that a while back and enjoyed it a lot - I've minor issues but for a film that cost £58 to make it seems petty to bring them up, so I won't! And whilst he is great in it, a full length dvd would be even better - hopefully his profile will continue to rise and there'll be a decent enough sized audience for it soon.

QuoteI have not seen Ginger and Black for a few years, but I promise to take a look next time I see them around.

Thank you! I really like them when they do stand up, but it's their mini-play which truly impressed, the Edinburgh show was incredibly inventive and I hope they carry on in that style rather than just doing stand up / comedy songs.

scarecrow

Chris- that's really good news about the Putner show! Hope it happens. I suppose there'd be a tricky rights issue with the Elvis Costello phone app. bit, but I could see that being dropped quite easily. I loved that show and it deserves more than its short run allowed.

A final DVD suggestion- Arnold Brown. At a show last year, an audience member asked if he has considered doing a DVD and he seemed to think that there was one available. There definitely isn't and it would be great if there was!

It's really great of you to post on here and read suggestions, by the way. GFS is excellent, thanks.

vrailaine

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on February 21, 2011, 12:45:14 AM
The new show is just what I presume he's performing at the moment. I think I read somewhere that he was working on new material, as well as writing a novel, and recently he's been gigging a fair bit. Sorry to be vague. What's the clip you've got and how long is it? Would be very grateful should you upload it.
This isn't the clip and I haven't listened to it yet, but my brother emailed me this
QuoteThis week's podcast  is the second of two Sunday Miscellany programmes recorded at the  Benedict Kiely Literary Festival 2010 and is introduced by Clíodhna Ní Anluain. The new writing contributions are by Kevin McAleer, Mary Morrissy and Anthony Glavin. The programme also includes a classic contribution from the programme archive by Benedict Kiely on the subject of dancing classes and much more. The programme was made possible with the support of Omagh and Strabane District Councils, Derry City Council and the Peace III programme.
Media files
http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2010/pc/pod-v-211110sunmisc25m43s.mp3

If you can tell me of a piece of free software which cuts a video down and isn't too complex (cos I seem to have a really shite video card), I'll have it up within days. Might email it to Kevin so he can put it onto his own youtube profile instead though.

Quote from: scarecrow on February 21, 2011, 03:59:31 PM
A final DVD suggestion- Arnold Brown. At a show last year, an audience member asked if he has considered doing a DVD and he seemed to think that there was one available. There definitely isn't and it would be great if there was!
Pretty sure he had a live video released in 1991, I've put in requests for it in certain places but never got a response.

Cheers. That was a treat although it cuts out before he finishes (edit: seems alright when streamed). I've never heard him do any of that material. I don't know about the video software but I'm sure somebody here will. I they don't reply here it would be worth posting in the techy thread.

Arnold Brown is a good idea for a DVD. I've been meaning to get a couple of his audio recordings for a while.

TIAL

Just watched this (again after Edinburgh). He really is a spectacular performer.

Its so impressive that he's able to do a section in French so people with even a basic GCSE in it can both understand it AND find it funny. Izzard does this too, obviously.

I like the way GFS don't cut too much to the audience reaction. It's something that's so overdone in the bigger DVD releases and TV standup shows, and it really puts me off. I'm assuming the choice not to is intentional, but might be because the tighter budget only allows 3 cameras?

Thanks Chris Evans NotThatOne for another great release.

afunnydog

Quote from: Artemis on February 19, 2011, 01:26:04 AM
The pace of the thing is extraordinary - it's impressive enough just that he's able to physically do it!

I thought that as well - marveled at his ability to perform coherently at that speed and in that much detail. I've just watched the DVD and it's noticeably less manic, but still fantastic. 

Quote from: Artemis on February 19, 2011, 01:26:04 AMForgot to mention, when I collected my ticket about an hour before, I spotted Simon Amstell loitering around outside. I felt compelled to commend him on Grandma's House, but I didn't. What a shit anecdote.

I'll see that and raise you this - David Walliams and his new wife were there the night I went. She had her hand on the back of his head a lot.

TIAL

Is the DVD fairly similar to his current live show?
In Edinburgh I rember him doing a great bit as the poet with an audience member, where they made a poem on the spot (or failed to). Sorry that's not very detailed.

spraticus

Quote from: TIAL on February 22, 2011, 12:44:50 AM
Is the DVD fairly similar to his current live show?
In Edinburgh I rember him doing a great bit as the poet with an audience member, where they made a poem on the spot (or failed to). Sorry that's not very detailed.

yes he did similar in London too... where he got audience members to shout out subjects for a poem he was going to write there and then. Very funny - sadly not on the dvd.
The dvd is really worth getting, though - different asides/adlibs/great songs etc. and Kevin's excellent Kevin Rowland impression makes a short outing in one of the extras

ChrisGFS

QuoteI'm assuming the choice not to is intentional, but might be because the tighter budget only allows 3 cameras?

No, it's done on purpose. We have 6 cameras at our recordings. I don't like constant cuts to the audience either - I think that you probably know when to laugh and you can do that without seeing someone else laughing.

The DVD is pretty similar to his current show - there may be odd little differences - but it is mostly as I remember seeing it in Edinburgh.

Chris

webbtje

I have 90s Comedian and Hitler Moustache kicking around here, and I've always enjoyed how most of the cuts to the audience are to people looking disgruntled or offended. Excellent.

ChrisGFS

QuoteI've always enjoyed how most of the cuts to the audience are to people looking disgruntled or offended

Ah yes - that doesn't happen in Kevin's - everyone was always pissing themselves.

Queneau

I've heard good things about this DVD so will have to order a copy this week. Go Faster Stripe have done a great job thus far.

As for requests how about Michael McIntyre? Nobody seems to have captured him saying anything remotely funny on camera yet. Easy target and all that. Yeah, yeah. Whatever.

Paaaaul

For anybody that wasn't aware, Kevin Eldon did a series of monologues a few years ago on Resonance FM called Speakers which were at least 50% spectacular.
http://podcasts.resonancefm.com/archives/category/shows/kevineldon

Duckula

I've also ordered a copy. Really enjoyed seeing him in Edinburgh. I hope this isn't just a one off and he plans to do more stand-up in the future.

benthalo

Quote from: Paaaaul on February 22, 2011, 12:33:35 PM
For anybody that wasn't aware, Kevin Eldon did a series of monologues a few years ago on Resonance FM called Speakers which were at least 50% spectacular.
http://podcasts.resonancefm.com/archives/category/shows/kevineldon

Space is the best of the bunch. He also did a stack of bits for Simon Munnery's Weakly Chats; someone circulated a full set of Mr Bartlett & Mr Willis sketches on here a couple of years ago. One of them pops up on this splendid new DVD.

vrailaine

Quote from: benthalo on February 22, 2011, 01:12:32 PM
a full set of Mr Bartlett & Mr Willis sketches on here a couple of years ago.
I think these are for sale on Simon Munnery's website? http://www.simonmunnery.com/shop_items

benthalo

Ah. Very good. Edit: looks like only 14 of them were available. At least twice that number were broadcast. But all the same, support the official release. It may well differ.

Neil

Spoiler alert
LAMBFRUITS.
[close]

Gawd bless you, Mr GFS, for getting stuff like this out.  And for not constantly cutting to the audience.  A real bug-bear, even with music gigs.  Plus, they often insist on cutting between different camera angles very rapidly in British footage, which is a bit pointless and annoying, mostly.

Artemis

There are little ways in which his current live show is subtly different to the DVD; mainly the odd refinement of a line - nothing major. It's one show that I think is genuinely worth seeing live, even if you own the recording - it's a spectacle to behold, to be honest. I loved it. As afunnydog says above, the DVD - great as it is - understandably doesn't quite capture how manic his live set is.

And yes, 'Speakers' was lambfruits too.

Onionlimit

Just ordered it now.  Was going to wait for Secret Dancing and just get both together, but why wait?

Is this really his first solo show?  I've been listening again to the Lee & Herring Radio One shows and they mention them all going up to Edinburgh to do shows.  It's from 1994.  Maybe it wasn't a solo show though...

And keep up the good work Chris!

benthalo

He's never done a full hour before. That's the difference.