Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:46:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dark Souls - PS3 - 360

Started by Viero_Berlotti, February 22, 2011, 05:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shay Chaise

Quote from: pandadeath on July 10, 2016, 01:10:54 AM
Success! I defeated Knight Artorias after about 20 attempts and made my way through the Ooaccile Township, got the Crest Key and defeated the Dragon after only a couple of attempts. Might try and finish the game tonight.

Did you fight the other boss in the DLC?

Hank, Artorias is brick but he is an absolute legend in the world of Dark Souls. He's the guy who traversed the abyss. He's the main mother fucker of Lordran. He shouldn't be a joke. In short, the only way to beat him is to learn to dodge. Watch out for his triple flip. When you find out what happened, you'll feel you've been headbutted in the soul.

pandadeath

Quote from: Hank Venture on July 10, 2016, 05:31:27 PM
I hate Artorias. More specifically I hate the corpse run to him. There should have been a bonfire outside his fog gate.

There's a shortcut to him. From the Oolacile Garden, cross the bridge and head right up the slope, kill the two gardeners then hug the right hand wall and follow the cliff to a ruined building, there's a lift in there that takes you right in front of Artorias.

Quote from: Shay Chaise on July 10, 2016, 08:26:14 PM
Did you fight the other boss in the DLC?

Hank, Artorias is brick but he is an absolute legend in the world of Dark Souls. He's the guy who traversed the abyss. He's the main mother fucker of Lordran. He shouldn't be a joke. In short, the only way to beat him is to learn to dodge. Watch out for his triple flip. When you find out what happened, you'll feel you've been headbutted in the soul.

Yeah, searched the chasm and found him. He was fairly simple, managed it on my first attempt. I gave Gwyn another go earlier before the tennis and got him down to about half health, I've learned a lot from the Artoias fight that will be a major help with this one.

Shay Chaise

Fucking hell. I was amazed that you beat Dragon Kalameet so quickly but Manus on your first go?! Took me 30+ attempts, seriously. Cool area going into the origin of the abyss and humanity. Did you see Sif near the fog gate? He's protected by Artorias' shield, just as a little pup. You know the legend of Artorias, abyss walker, who slayed Manus and brought an end to the dark? That's you that is. Artorias never did it, he got corrupted in the abyss. See that triple somersault what Artorias does? Manus does that too. Remember how Great Wolf Sif howled when you went to fight him? That's because he remembers you, that you completed Artorias' task and knows what you have to do, which is kill him and his master.

As for Gwyn, he's one of the only bosses in the game you can parry. That might help if you're any good with that timing. I'm not.

Hank Venture

Quote from: pandadeath on July 10, 2016, 09:49:26 PM
There's a shortcut to him. From the Oolacile Garden, cross the bridge and head right up the slope, kill the two gardeners then hug the right hand wall and follow the cliff to a ruined building, there's a lift in there that takes you right in front of Artorias.

I know, but still... When he's that hard you should be able to retry instantly.

pandadeath

Quote from: Shay Chaise on July 11, 2016, 07:18:46 AM
Fucking hell. I was amazed that you beat Dragon Kalameet so quickly but Manus on your first go?! Took me 30+ attempts, seriously. Cool area going into the origin of the abyss and humanity. Did you see Sif near the fog gate? He's protected by Artorias' shield, just as a little pup. You know the legend of Artorias, abyss walker, who slayed Manus and brought an end to the dark? That's you that is. Artorias never did it, he got corrupted in the abyss. See that triple somersault what Artorias does? Manus does that too. Remember how Great Wolf Sif howled when you went to fight him? That's because he remembers you, that you completed Artorias' task and knows what you have to do, which is kill him and his master.

As for Gwyn, he's one of the only bosses in the game you can parry. That might help if you're any good with that timing. I'm not.
I didn't see Sif, no. I had read somewhere that you could summon him for the Manus battle but I didn't see him so just had to take it on by myself.

I beat Gwyn last night on about my fourth or fifth attempt. The Artorias battle really helped out in preparing me for it, I tried it initially with Havel's armour  but in the end I just wore the Paladin set and dodged his attacks. I moved the battle to around some rocks so I could get a bit of cover for using the estus flask and just had to be patient and take my chances. I think it would have felt like much more of an achievement if I hadn't already beaten Artorias, that boss battle has to rank right up there as both one of the best i've experienced and one of my greatest achievements in a game.

Overall, I really enjoyed the game after an awkward start. I think if i'd played a Souls game before I could easily have knocked 20 hours or so off my final play time, progress through the first few areas was so slow because I wasn't attuned to the games intricacies. I don't think I really clicked with the game until after Blighttown, it was a much more enjoyable experience after that.

I've also got to thank you guys for helping me out with a few things, it would have been awful if I'd just beaten Gwyn without experiencing the DLC, it really was fantastic - possibly the best area of the game. I'm pretty tempted to just start again with a NG+, but it's already consumed all of my gaming time for the last 6 weeks so I think I'll try and get through a few other games before starting this again or moving on to Dark Souls II.

falafel

Quote from: pandadeath on July 11, 2016, 02:32:46 PM
it would have been awful if I'd just beaten Gwyn without experiencing the DLC, it really was fantastic - possibly the best area of the game.

I'm just going to go over here and cry for a minute.

Hank Venture

Im close to skipping the whole DLC. Cant be arsed with Artorias anymore, currently trying to summon people tp fight him but no one has put up any summon signs.

Shay Chaise

Depends how much of the main game you've got left. I did it just before the final boss. I also went off and levelled up. General tips would be to either go very light and get the roll timing down or take a great shield so you can absorb at least one hit. I think I was almost naked with a great shield. I had been a pyro build but basically had to switch to straight melee because I didn't have time to cast against Artorias, he's so aggressive. It probably took me twenty or thirty attempts.

Hangthebuggers

DS2 -After three or four attempts I finally killed the Rotten in the Gulch. Now I need to kill the chariot boss to access the PVP covenant and then back to getting the other two big boss souls.

Not quite sure if I'm going to do the Iron keep next or the shaded woods?

It's a great game, but the level design isn't on par with the first game, as others have criticised, some of the places look slapped together without any real continuity. That said, the PVP and coop is much more accessible, even if some of the covenants are broken (way of the blue / blue sentinels) -  which is a shame as I quite fancied doing the blue avenging spirit stuff. Looks like it'll be the blood covenant then...

Overall I think this game is easier than DS1 thus far, as I've barely struggled on any boss. Also I've hardly been invaded too...

Hank Venture

Artorias down. All I need now is Manus, the big black dragon, the Four Kongs, and Gwyn.

Hank Venture

Manus down. Kalameet a right bitch, but close after three tries. Kinda fatigued on this now, just want it to be over.

Hangthebuggers

DS2

Just defeated the chariot boss. Had a quick pop into the Iron keep but those armoured guys and archers keeping ruining my shit. I think I'm going to attempt the shaded woods instead.

Hangthebuggers

Flying through this now. Fucked off the Iron keep until later as those archers were causing me to lose my rag and thousands of souls. Instead I've done the shaded woods, shaded fort, the doors of pharos (not done the optional boss yet though) and now I'm headed to the cove area. Found a nice little farming spot for souls, gems, moss etc....

Currently using a raw scythe+6, an assortment of hexes and sorceries and a firelongsword +8... Seem to be doing alright.

Hank Venture

Aaaaaand done. Only boss I didn't kill was Kalameet. Just couldnt be bothered.

Bhazor

It occured to me over Christmas that I'd never actually finished Dark Souls 1. Well I'd almost reached the end, I mean I'd rung the two bells and was half way through that end level with all the traps and the lizard men. Y'know I was only like probably 20 minutes from the end. So I reinstalled it and carried on my old save and holy shit the game just keeps going. In all directions. Massive fuck off optional areas that I barely even touched but I could reach in a 10 minute jog from the Firelink shrine. I mean I knew the world was open and filled with many optional little side areas but I didn't know it was THAT open and filled with THAT many optional fuck off huge side areas. Its a bit of alright this Dark Souls thing isn't it?

Shay Chaise

You uncultured APE. I am punching chunks out of this concrete wall right now. Fuck me, man. I don't think that's unreasonable. You lucky bast.

Have you finished Sen's Fortress yet?

I didn't reply to your lore video above but the DS1 lore and NPCs and world building and stuff is what really made me think holy crap this is the real good shit. The DS3 stuff is NOTHING in comparison. Fucking Solaire, Gwyn, Artorias.

Oh Christ, you haven't even touched Artorias of the Abyss DLC...

The world could end any day and here's you going round not having played past Sen's.

I hope you enjoy it all and have a brilliant time, mate. Having played DS3, you'll probably get a load of references in reverse, too!

Thursday

Wait You thought Sens was near the end? Fucking Hell.

Bhazor

Well I knew from cultural osmosis there was a big dog and some knockers to come after Sen's fortress but I didn't know there was this much. I mean it had a big cutscene and I'd done the bell thing and now I was walking into Bowsers castle. Got to be the fucking end mate.

I've actually started over now because my character was all fucked up. I managed to ring the Parish bell in less than an hour after starting, last time that took me 15 hours last time to get to that point. I am incredibly slow at any kind of open world game.

Shay Chaise

Sen's is probably half way, but more like two thirds in terms of the time it takes most people to get there, etc. You've got some brilliant stuff ahead. When you say dog, you mean you haven't done Darkroot Garden either? And yeah, the sheer number of paths available from Firelink is amazing.

Shay Chaise

And before you finish the game, let us know because there will be one amazing place you almost certainly won't go to. No, two places, I reckon.

Bhazor

Quote from: Shay Chaise on December 31, 2017, 02:18:12 PM
And before you finish the game, let us know because there will be one amazing place you almost certainly won't go to. No, two places, I reckon.

Alright Shay, got the Vessel, got the 4 lord souls, did the DLC abyss area (apart from the dragon who I can't figure out how to fight) and am ready to finish this bitch. What am I missing?

Shay Chaise

Go back to Firelink/Parish lift. Jump off halfway up. Roll jump across to the beam. Climb up to the crow's nest. It'll transport you somewhere if you pretend to be an egg. Explore the area, collect the doll and go back via the crow. Then go to Anor Londo  and check out the painting in the massive hall where you walked across the high beams.

When you've done all that, I dare you to attack the Sun Princess and explore the area further via the rotating lift.

Bhazor

Already did the painted world. Didn't kill Priscilla because she is damned adorable and I want to pet her.

I kind of just want the main ending because I'll definitely be replaying this. I've screwed up a bunch of quests and aggroed the Artorias covenant merchant and so I'll be going for any sort of sequence break ending in NG+.

When I put the souls in the chalice is it game over?

Thursday

You've probably missed a lovely character who helps you out with the dragon (not a phantom) I think you get to it from quite near the area where you fought artorias.

Shay Chaise

Not game over, no. There'll be a bit more to do.

Also, when I say Sun Princess, I mean in AL. You basically have nothing to lose as you're right near the end.

Bhazor

That's that finished. Fucking belter.

Started right back up in NG+ and rung the first bell in 25 minutes. I can see why there are so many streamers doing nightly runs. Once you know what you're doing you can blast through the game in an evening. Highlight for me was probably Sen's Fortress. Its like the world's hardest Zelda dungeon. I especially liked the daft little traps such as the lift that pushes you into a spiked ceiling. It really reminded me of the old dungeon crawlers but done as an action game. Like an action game version of Grimrock. I was actually a little disappointed to find the hidden bonfire.

I think I accidentally stumbled on an OP weapon though. My black knight great axe was more or less one shotting every standard enemy and making multiple boss fights completely laughable. Like Siff didn't barely even had time to finish his startup and Gwyn went down like a bitch.