Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:56:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gears of War 3

Started by VegaLA, February 23, 2011, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Jack McBastard

Yeah that has been a pleasant surprise on Horde, the number of whiny/shithead people I've ran into has been the lowest I've ever encountered online, it's nothing like CoD or Halo where there's always at least one (and usually many) twats pointlessly insulting each other, for the most part they stay quiet and muck in, but they don't stick around long enough to get the job done.

Penfold

I died at wave 5.

I'll give it another go, just need to remember I'm not as amazing with the cleaver as I think I am.

BeardFaceMan

I must be lucky, not just with this game but with all games, cos I've barely encountered any shitty twats while playing online, no whining yanks or anything. Last week on Gears 3 I did encounter a bloke calling people a 'faggot' but with a thick scottish accent and it was hilarious cos he had no idea how stupid he sounded. So yeah, fuck all the 20 minute quitter fuckers, lets band together for horde and get sore arses together. Or something.

Big Jack McBastard

Next weekend sounds alright to me it gives those of us who've been elsewhere a chance to focus on getting our base building up a bit, I'm slowly crawling up the levels, most are on 4 now I reckon a few more evening sessions will have them beefed up to 8 if I focus on them. Though the Silverback might have to wait, I have to spend another 150 grand just to get to level 2.

As a matter of fact we could be tremendous pussies and stick it on Casual, save up our cash for 30 levels or so, we'd mop the bloody floor then surely.

Quote from: Penfold on October 19, 2011, 05:12:16 PM
I died at wave 5.

I'll give it another go, just need to remember I'm not as amazing with the cleaver as I think I am.

The cleaver is fun isn't it, I love just running about with it, although it can end up making me a bit motion sick if I keep doing it for too long.

You up for joining us then Penfold? If so we might have our crew, not to worry we'll carry your noob ass and show you the ropes.

Neil

Next weekend I'll be knee deep in Battlefield 3!  I'm up for it tonight, or tomorrow?

Big Jack McBastard

Jesus, well I'm probably in work on Friday or Saturday so I can't commit with impunity unless we start a bit early (ie: finished before 4am) but I'll be on Saturday night into Sunday morning with no limit to how long I'll be on, bar my mind exploding.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on October 20, 2011, 04:41:43 AM
Next weekend sounds alright to me it gives those of us who've been elsewhere a chance to focus on getting our base building up a bit, I'm slowly crawling up the levels, most are on 4 now I reckon a few more evening sessions will have them beefed up to 8 if I focus on them. Though the Silverback might have to wait, I have to spend another 150 grand just to get to level 2.

I'm all maxed out on everything now, but don't worry, not all of them go to level 8, a few go to level 6 I think and the silverback is maxed out at level 2, you only have to complete level 1 so that's not too bad. I'm usually on in the evenings so give me a shout if you see me on and you fancy it.

Quote from: Big Jack McBastardAs a matter of fact we could be tremendous pussies and stick it on Casual, save up our cash for 30 levels or so, we'd mop the bloody floor then surely.

I don't think doing it on normal would be all that difficult if you have 5 half-decent players who stay the course, the hardest part of horde is keeping 5 players. Hehe although if we do get stuck we could use some mutators. I did waves 42-50 on insane with just me and 2 other people and we did it without too much difficulty with the super reload and infinte ammo mutators. And there's also the option of using the instagib melee mutator which means you can take down bosses like the beserker, reavers, brumaks etc with one melee hit of your pistol. God I love this game, so much fun.

Penfold

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on October 20, 2011, 04:41:43 AM

You up for joining us then Penfold? If so we might have our crew, not to worry we'll carry your noob ass and show you the ropes.

I'm here this evening if I can connect.

or alternatively I can create a casual private game with myself and quit after one wave, and repeat, how long would that take?

Edit: What's the deal with Horde anyway? I see a couple of people on my friends list playing and they are in the middle of it but it says 'online - joinable' so does that mean if I try and join will I just appear and start firing at wave 36 or do I wait? is it rude just to join? should I send a letter in advance? I may over-think things so I tend to ask before trying, I assume if I just join it will break their game and xbox.

Edit Edit: Ahhh so that's Horde mode, it's fun, cheers Big Jack, i enjoy running around with the Lancer sawing people in half when there's a dust storm. I'm tired now. so what's this Battlefield like then?

Big Jack McBastard

I only went and bloody got the 50 levels in one pop tonight! Thanks to a (I think) slightly French bloke who had his Silverback beefed up and chewing through waves of Locust gits, also props to Penfold and BeardFaceMan for leaping in quick smart at the arse end, saving our collective bacon and a whole heap of work.

Thrashball is a good map for it as you can force the enemies into 2 bottlenecks with only the odd random spawn inside the base.

I'm still up for it again tomorrow though if folks are around.

Quotedo I wait? is it rude just to join?

Never think this, they need all the help they can get.

BeardFaceMan

They're having another event all weekend, it's 'Hardcore Weekend' so all public Horde matches will be on hardcore difficulty (same with Beast) , if you want to play on normal you'll have to do a private match. I'd be up for a crack at hardcore although you'd probably need some mutators which means going private so err, I dunno.

Big Jack McBastard

Well I'm up for a private match in an hour or so if there's enough folks to make it worthwhile, dunno about seriously attempting it on Hardcore mind but I may try the odd public match just for the sake of continuing leveling up, got my sentries to Level 6 last night and put a small dent in the Silverback (about a third of the way).

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on October 21, 2011, 06:22:39 PM
Well I'm up for a private match in an hour or so if there's enough folks to make it worthwhile, dunno about seriously attempting it on Hardcore mind but I may try the odd public match just for the sake of continuing leveling up.

Lies, all lies, Horde can fuck off 'till Monday, 6 matches in a row that ended before level 6 with half the team bottling it within 4 rounds makes me think this ain't a great idea for the Events calendar.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah this isn't gonna be a good weekend for attempting this, people are giving up way more easily than they usually do, which is saying something. I had a few goes at it and have yet to get to wave 2 with the 5 people who started, someone always leaves after wave 1. Lightweights!

Penfold

made it to Wave 10 on the sandy level with the ship.

failed to destroy Lambent Berzerker. 5 times. it's a bugger.

BeardFaceMan

Just watched a gameplay trailer for one of the new maps that you get with this first DLC package and it looks awesome. Upgradable command centers in horde that allow you to call multiple hammer of dawn strikes, a new upgrade on the sentry and an upgrade to the decoy that turns it into an onyx guard who shoots things. I would be very excited about this but it looks like you'll only be able to use the maps and toys in private matches not public ones, so boo to that.

Big Jack McBastard

They've made Horde weird for christmas by the way folks.

Command Posts (Bases) are free to build now.

First barrier upgrades are now free so you can build razor-wire for the cost of caltrops.

Command Centers refund your money when you upgrade them the 3rd time (to Hammer of Dawn strikes) so you can pretty easily have multiple HOD strikes available if you maintain them between rounds.

I had Beserkers on every round a few nights back and the laugh track mutator playing in the background. Last night it was Lambent Zerkers every 10th level, I dunno if they're changing it every day but I'm about to go on and have another look, feel free to join me if the desire should strike yis.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah it's part of their 12 Days Of Gearsmas event. There's also quadruple xp earned, today you get to play as a snowman and I think the last one is one shot mortars everywhere. Hehe I think I've done 1-50 on insane horde without dying on 4 or 5 different maps since they introduced this, the low cost hammer strike being particularly lovely. Even got to wave 43 on insane using 3 negative mutators. I'll deffo give you a shout if I see you on.

Big Jack McBastard

Snowman heads and sniper rifles, meh twas alright I suppose, made head shots much more tempting, but it needed Pinata Blood and the Headless Chicken mutators on if you ask me.

Dugald_McCraw

I just got this and was really dissapointed in the campaign.  In the first 2 the enemy AI was some of the best on the 360, meanwhile Dom acted like an idiot, especially with the Beserker!  In this one, it's reversed, the sqaud AI is really good and the enemy AI is dumbed down. You can just walk up and chainsaw nearly everyone.  I was gutted.  And that's on hardcore.  And it's more difficult to die, if you take too much damage then you just need one of your team mates to revive you. 

The multiplayer seems a lot faster but I'm really rubbish at it! 

Big Jack McBastard

I found the campaign much easier this time around as well but it's good on Hard/Insane with a team of human players, some arduous moments in there, killing off the Lambent Zerker in the junkyard place was an arse breaking trial for myself and a few other CaBbers.

There's a lot to be said for upping your look sensitivity if you've not already, makes acquiring targets faster that much easier and may well help to keep up with the mad obsessives like myself.

Also mining a couple of enemy spawn points with grenades between each level can help a great deal with racking up the kills.

Lately I've taken to staking out an area of the map away from the rest of the other players (for the first 20 rounds or so then it gets a bit more hairy and the back-up becomes helpful) and religiously camping there to rack up kills, you just need to look about for an easily escapable area that enemies frequent with some good cover and sit on it for a while.

I'm grinding the last 4 levels to 100 over the coming week(s) and only have the silverback to pour money into now so if you're up for a portion stick yer tag up and I'll gladly help out and supply any comers with cash I can't use.

VegaLA

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on January 20, 2012, 05:47:37 AM
I found the campaign much easier this time around as well but it's good on Hard/Insane with a team of human players, some arduous moments in there, killing off the Lambent Zerker in the junkyard place was an arse breaking trial for myself and a few other CaBbers.

Oh aye, I think I spent most of that session avoiding him and reviving the braver players such as you and Sinbad. I had to replay that Chapter last weekend as for reasons unknown it did not mark as complete (probably coward mode in action). Played with another online friend and I spent most of that scene sticking to the circular structure in the middle of the map, only got hit by the Zerker once and found it easier to take him down.

I'm in for some Horde so will keep an eye open for online CaBbers.

Big Jack McBastard

I've maxed out all my barrier/decoy/silverback etc levels, so now I typically save till I hit around 10,000 and then give it out in a chunk, if you're looking to level up anything I'll be your bitch.

Penfold

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on February 04, 2012, 12:51:00 AM
I've maxed out all my barrier/decoy/silverback etc levels, so now I typically save till I hit around 10,000 and then give it out in a chunk, if you're looking to level up anything I'll be your bitch.

Cheers for that earlier.

It gave me enough to get barriers to level 7 and unlock the Silverback.

Unfortunately my game was lagging terribly so turned out I was shooting at nothing for 7 or 8 waves and gave up.

Is it decoy I'll need to improve to get the Command Post thing?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on February 04, 2012, 12:51:00 AM

Ooh I'll have to keep am eye out for you then. I like bitches!