Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:56:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jane Russell RIP

Started by Danger Man, March 01, 2011, 08:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danger Man

Yes. I thought she was already dead, too.

She was like Betty Page but all her photos seemed to feature hay instead of bondage.

The dark-haired Marilyn Monroe, obviously.

Ummm......iconic, I suppose, as her movies weren't really all that good.

momatt

I was very surprised that one one copy of the infamous poster exists.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/2819999.stm

Ignatius_S

Very sad – big fan of Russell; love so many of her films.  and adored her in The Paleface and Son of Paleface.

Quote from: Danger Man on March 01, 2011, 08:19:34 AM
Yes. I thought she was already dead, too...

Actually, I've seen Russell in one or two TV appearances not that long ago and a quick check of IMDB shows that she has made quite a lot of documentary and television appearances in recent years (over two a year for the last decade).

Quote from: Danger Man on March 01, 2011, 08:19:34 AM
....Ummm......iconic, I suppose, as her movies weren't really all that good.

Check His Kind of Woman, which she co-starred with Robert Mitchum for RKO; an unconventional humorous thriller with noir elements. Vincent Price is one of the main supporting actors – his is a marvellous scene-stealing turn of a movie star, who relishes the chance to risk his life for real and it's worth watching for him alone.

Macao is another Mitchum and Russell teaming – not an all-time classic, but a minor gem and Russell is very good.

Paleface and Son of Paleface, I think are great films and she works well as the straight woman to Bob Hope in the first one. Incidentally, some of Paleface is wonderfully shot – there's one scene as she walks down a darkened main street stalked by gunmen and the lighting is just terrific.

There are others – Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is an obvious example – but it's worth remembering is Russell wasn't in a huge amount of films (less than 30, after a quick look).

Although I have seen some Russell films that haven't been great, they're quite entertaining (I don't think she appeared in any stinkers) but I would say that she could have done with some better vehicles.

I think one problem was the way that her first film made her such a star and sex symbol – and that's very much to do with Howard Hughes (it's worth remembering that Russell didn't take the casting couch method to advance her career). More than a few films were very successfully marketed around her being a sex symbol and my feeling is that the studios knew that they could make profits by relying on Russell's box office drawer without worrying too much about the film itself – but as I say that's only my impression.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

She was from the conal bra era so her breasts looked even more pert and hyaouge than their original quite hefty and perky nature.

I say this rather than passing comment on her contribution to acting because I find it impossible to watch her on screen without looking at her tits, which is very much my problem and one which I am seeking help for.

Jake Thingray

"Stick one in Jane Russell" -- too late, alas.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Danger Man

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 01, 2011, 03:53:24 PM
Paleface and Son of Paleface, I think are great films and she works well as the straight woman to Bob Hope in the first one.

Indeed. I stand corrected.

Zero Gravitas

Bra destroying bitch, I hope she's happy now!

biggytitbo